Why are melodeath and brutal death such despised genres?

Melodic death metal.

Arghoslent are sort of anomalous. On one hand they aren't like Gothenburg melo-death at all, but then again their structuring is death metal...however, they come off as epic heavy metal a lot of the time too, just with death vocals. Very confusing.

Jreg said:
Melodic death has always been an extremely hit-or-miss style to me. While saying I despise most of it would be a bit overboard, anything less than excellent in that style is extremely hard for me to listen to. There are a number of bands I can really enjoy for the fact that all the pieces seem to fall together perfectly, or close to perfectly (Dark Tranquillity, Insomnium, Depresy, Garden of Shadows, Eucharist, Arsis, etc.). When a melodeath band fails to do that, it just becomes so incredibly tedious and unlistenable for whatever reason. Brutal death is different. There's a handful of acts who rise above the rest, but unlike melodeath, it's not something you can mess up as easily, and I'll still be able to listen to (and enjoy, to one extent or another ) a mediocre brutal death band.

This is the way I feel, although very few melodic death bands work for me (pretty much just Hypocrisy acutally). Brutal death is just very good to me, even if it is just mediocre, although I do like the leaders in the genre more.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Melodic death metal.

Arghoslent are sort of anomalous. On one hand they aren't like Gothenburg melo-death at all, but then again their structuring is death metal...however, they come off as epic heavy metal a lot of the time too, just with death vocals. Very confusing.
Yeah. They are almost like heavy metal with harsh vocals, and occasional blastbeats. Many of the riffs are far from typical death metal riffs, though they do occasionally throw a typical death metal or black metal riff in.