Melodeath

Nov 30, 2005
Nebraska
www.facebook.com
Admit it, I'm not the only one here who listens to this sappy bullshit. I'm a proud fan of In Flames and Soilwork, and I can even appreciate Scar Symmetry from time to time.
This is just a formality (as I'm sure you all know), but I should point out that melodeath =/= melodic death metal.
ITT, discuss your melodeath favs, and bring to light any acts in this sub-genre you feel are under-appreciated.

Nice thread topic, as this is my favorite sub genre. Why the term "sappy" though? Because of all the hatred toward the style?

Regardless.

My favs are ( in order of 1st to 2nd and so on) (Flame away DM lovers)

Children Of Bodom
Norther
Nightrage
Dark Tranquillity
Kalmah
Skyfire
Wintersun
Arch Enemy
Amon Amarth
Ensiferum
In Flames
Imperanon
Mors Principium Est
Shades of Dusk (old)
Insomnium
Into Eternity

A few others i cannot remember as well.

The bands i feel are underated are,

Skyfire -

They truly are. They add a great touch of progression to the Melodeath formula, but it is soo inticate that its hard to explain. They dont need 9 plus minute songs to get the message across. However they almost manage to incorporate that much content into 4 minute tunes.

Nightrage-

I just feel people over look them. I feel they recieve a fair amount of attention, but they get brushed off for whatever reason. Either way, i think thier stellar.

I recommend the following albums for any MDM fan;

Be'lakor - Stones Reach :kickass::headbang:
Be'lakor - The Frail Tide
Eucharist - Mirrorworlds
Armageddon - Crossing The Rubicon
Omnium Gatherum - The Redshift

From all those bands that were listed I stick to Dark Tranquility. I strongly recommend Aeon of Horus. Technical melodeath. Divinity is also a nice band.

Melodeath is actually not the same as melodic death metal. It's a sub-genre of a sub-genre of another sub-genre ( :erk: ), not unlike black metal (Bathory) > Norwiegan black metal (Mayhem) > symphonic black metal (Limbonic Art).

In Flames used to be my favorite metal band...Along with Dark Tranquillity and Soilwork. To bad most of them suck now. Insomnium are probably the best new Melodeath, but I've always just called it Melodic Death Metal.

Melodeath is actually not the same as melodic death metal. It's a sub-genre of a sub-genre of another sub-genre ( :erk: ), not unlike black metal (Bathory) > Norwiegan black metal (Mayhem) > symphonic black metal (Limbonic Art).

Yes, but as the first post proves, people can't make that distinction so let's just use the old thread.

I like old COB from when they still had some decent melodies (ie before Are You Dead Yet?, but I like Follow the Reaper in particular) and also some In Flames.

Not sure if later Carcass counts, but I love Heartwork and Swansong too.

I call COB extreme power/pop metal. No reason why the 'death' label must be attached.

I used to listen to a lot Suidakra many years ago.

Hold on, Melo death metal is a different sub-genre then melodic death metal?

well anyways

Im still a newbie but i consider these two bands really good melodic death metal

Children Of Bodom

Wrust

Death metal that happens to have a deep entrenchment in melody when it comes to riffwriting/soloing/whatever, vs. what is basically power metal/heavy metal with harsh vocals and some minor key/"death metal" riffs and structures.

Well, I don't like In Flames or Soilwork but I will contribute to this thread with my understanding of melodic "death" metal.

Cardinal Sin - Spiteful Intents
Eucharist - A Velvet Creation
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
At the Gates - With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness
Embracing - I Bear the Burden of Time
Decameron - My Shadow...
The Moaning - Blood From Stone
A Canorous Quintet - Silence of the World Beyond
Intestine Baalism - An Anatomy of the Beast
A Mind Confused - Anarchos

I just call the other "death metal with melody" and the more poppy stuff I call melodic death or melodeath.

Anyways, thought I'd bring this up since the album just leaked a few days ago:

Last edited by a moderator: