Melodeath

Wintersun makes me want to punch babies. It's too....happy.

Ensiferum must make you want to drink babies from a straw.

Wait, are Amorphis considered melodeath? I was never good at genres, but I really like them in all their incarnations.

I saw Ensiferum in Perth awhile ago when they played with Edguy and Cynic. I was there for Cynic. Ensiferum made me want to hold a stein of beer in on arm, swing it and start boot scooting around like an idiot, and in the process kick babies around.

Amorphis' Karelian Isthmus and Tales of a Thousand Lakes are death metal, leaning towards doom undertones. Both great albums :D

"in the process kick babies around" - awesome.

What do you think about recent Amorphis? Unrecognizable but I still like what they're doing, despite how "pleasant" it is

Wait, are Amorphis considered melodeath? I was never good at genres, but I really like them in all their incarnations.

The Karelian Isthmus was melodic death metal, then I suppose you could categorize Tales From 1000 Lakes and Elegy as melodeath. Everything afterward is heavy metal/progressive metal, IMO.

NOTE: In the term "melodeath", the melo part of the word, for me, not only means melodic, but also mellow. Melodeath bands are not just melodic, but they are also a lot more "easy-listening" than "true" death metal, thus "mellow".

The Karelian Isthmus was melodic death metal, then I suppose you could categorize Tales From 1000 Lakes and Elegy as melodeath. Everything afterward is heavy metal/progressive metal, IMO.

NOTE: In the term "melodeath", the melo part of the word, for me, not only means melodic, but also mellow. Melodeath bands are not just melodic, but they are also a lot more "easy-listening" than "true" death metal, thus "mellow".

(Not to attack you but)

I dont really get the need to seperate it into 2 sub, sub genres. I suppose their is a pretty big difference between "The Gallery" by DT and "N" from Norther, but i just consider it all to be Melodic Death Metal.

Moreover i refer to all Swedish MDM bands as Gothenburg and all other acts from different areas as Melodic Death Metal

Amorphis' Karelian Isthmus and Tales of a Thousand Lakes are death metal, leaning towards doom undertones. Both great albums :D

Awesome albums; but I would say they have melodic tendencies as well. I mean, I realize most if not all music has "melodic tendencies;" but I could see how someone might classify them as old school death/melodic death.

What do you think about recent Amorphis? Unrecognizable but I still like what they're doing, despite how "pleasant" it is

I think the last three Amorphis albums were awesome; definitely different from their original sound, but the songwriting is still tight and the folk elements are great. The one flaw I find with it is that they sometimes stick too much to their new formula; that is, they've found a method of writing catchy songs that works and it seems like sometimes they're afraid to step far beyond those boundaries.

I don't mind though, because I fucking love their style. :cool:

(Not to attack you but)

I dont really get the need to seperate it into 2 sub, sub genres. I suppose their is a pretty big difference between "The Gallery" by DT and "N" from Norther, but i just consider it all to be Melodic Death Metal.

Moreover i refer to all Swedish MDM bands as Gothenburg and all other acts from different areas as Melodic Death Metal

That's stupid. There's quite a difference. Not to mention Norther is pretty close to power metal.

Melodeath: Norther, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Arch Enemy, etc.

Melodic Death: Blood Rainbow, Quo Vadis, Demigod, Autumn Leaves, etc..

There's a huge difference between the 2 styles. This is why you make a distinction.

I think the last three Amorphis albums were awesome; definitely different from their original sound, but the songwriting is still tight and the folk elements are great. The one flaw I find with it is that they sometimes stick too much to their new formula; that is, they've found a method of writing catchy songs that works and it seems like sometimes they're afraid to step far beyond those boundaries.

I don't mind though, because I fucking love their style. :cool:

Yeah, I mean is there actually a difference between Eclipse and Skyforger?

How do you feel about "Brother Moon?" It may be in my top 20 favorite songs of all time.

That's stupid. There's quite a difference. Not to mention Norther is pretty close to power metal.

Melodeath: Norther, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Arch Enemy, etc.

Melodic Death: Blood Rainbow, Quo Vadis, Demigod, Autumn Leaves, etc..

There's a huge difference between the 2 styles. This is why you make a distinction.

LMMFAO. This is hilarious.

I've never heard of any of the "Melodic Death Metal bands you posted, but took the liberty of looking everyone of them up on the tube. I also trust metal-archives extensivly when it comes to band information and reviews. Now assuming Demigod, is the band from finland, Quo Vadis is the only band that has MELODIC in the genre description on the archives. Not to mention that my own judgement concured that NONE of these bands are Melodic. Yes, they are DM bands who use a little more melody than their brethren, but this isn't melodic death metal to me.

Now i can understand calling early Dark Tranquillity, and In Flames, melodic death metal. While possibly labeling newer Norther and Children of Bodom "Melodeath". Early MDM didn't use keyboards and was a hell of alot rawer. But i dont think you guys take into account that the genre evolved as the bands evolved. DT, the founders of the style added keys, while newer bands followed suit.

You guys are taking it to entirly different sense of separation, and i think its unneeded.

(your point on Norther)
Old Norther was closer to Power Metal, not anymore though. Since Death Unlimited, they've taken a more thrashy, agressive approach.

But thats my opinion man, to each their own. I consider Melodic Death Metal a broad term that describes everything from early DT to Kalmah, to Imperanon. Theres no doubt the Fins but their stamp on the genre, (as well as other countries), with the infusion of power metal. But i still consider COB and the like Melodic Death Metal. I used to call it Melodic Speed Metal with harsh vocals, lmao, but thats just too much description. If you chose to break everything down to the finest points, thats fine with me. Its all Metal man :headbang: