TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
Artist: Scar Symmetry
Title: Symmetric In Design
Release Date: 2005
Label: Nuclear Blast

What we have here is some great musicianship, some awesome death/extreme metal vocals, and some killer clean vocals. I’ll admit it took me awhile to accept this style of clean vocal but it has grown on me and they make perfect sense. This is a melodic slab of Swedish death/power metal and it is going to appeal to fans of Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Soilwork, Children of Bodom, and Evergrey. They don’t sound exactly like any of the above bands which is a good thing but share a lot of influences with the mentioned bands. Some of the music gets my feet tapping and my head banging with some machine gun riffs. A neo classical inspired guitar solo is showcased on "Dominion" which is rather cool and reminiscent of dare I say Yngwie? The album features a lot of good traditional heavy metal guitar solos.

I am digging this band big time and I can see them growing to become one of the big boys and in the near future maybe being mentioned in the same breath as fellow countrymen Soilwork, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Evergrey, and Hypocrisy. I would have much rather seen Scar Symmetry on tour recently with Arch Enemy and before that God Forbid/Meshuggah rather then Mnemic who have been getting a lot of attention here in the States. Scar Symmetry has a lot of potential and a solid debut album. Time will tell if this band will walk the road to the metal hall of fame.

http://www.metalasylum.net