In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
Nuclear Blast - NB1658-2 - April 21, 2006
by Amanda J. Carlson
scarsymmetry.jpg

The alternation between clean and growling vocals is a cool style in metal, and it’s the stellar utilization of it that makes Scar Symmetry a quality band. Their sophomore album, Pitch Black Progress, is a huge improvement on what they already had mastered on Symmetric in Design. This latest release is slamming with heaviness that is doubled when the vocalist lets out his deep-throat growls. The clean sung lines are my favorite, of course; he has a little bit of that rough edge to his voice at times, but hits every note with precision.

Musically, I hear a lot of Nevermore resemblances, with their dark and sometimes complex riffs. An example would be "Calculate the Apocalypse." One of the heaviest tunes on the album, it has a variety of crazy riffs between more steadfast ones, though all calculated and put together into a smooth four-minute string. "The Kaleidoscopic God" is another showing of style diversity, where they juggle angry riffs and calmer, more streamlined metal - not to mention some orchestration halfway through. My favorite track is "Dreaming 24/7," as it is the perfect combination of melodic vocals and kick ass crunching guitars.

On the negative side, the death style vocals aren’t quite my taste; at times they’re a bit too cookie monster-esque, and since I’m picky about what I consider likeable in the death metal world, it does take away from the coolness a few times. Nevertheless, Pitch Black Progress deserves to spend many a day in the CD player. If they’ve come this far with just two albums, Scar Symmetry can only go up from here.

8/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Scar Symmetry Official Website
Nuclear Blast Official Website

Metal chicks are only cool if they love the low cookie monster grunts! I'll never get married until I find that one perfect metal chick!

The Album isnt perfect but it is good.
Ripping solos, heavy riffs all in all great but Symmetric in Design is better.

The Bringer said:
Totally kick ass is right! But like Opeth? I don't see how....

well, they both alternate between clean and death vocals, have some mellow parts. I said a little, not totally similiar.