Scar Symmetry: Which pickups and amps? ¯\(°_o)/¯

Skaldir

formerly known as Unicorn
Nov 3, 2001
Germany
www.kalthallen.de
I'm sure somebody here can help me.
Which guitar pickups and amps did Scar Symmetry use on Pitch black progress and Holographic universe?

The main reason I want to know is that sometimes they play chordish stuff (in German: zerlegte Akkorde, don't know the english words ¯\(°_o)/¯ ) which I think sounds great and doesn't get unclear with the distortion.

I read somewhere that they used I think a marshall cab and a b-b-b-behringer cab in unison for the rhythms on PBP. Or maybe it was one cab per take as it was quad tracked. Holographic universe was not quad tracked I believe because they didnt want to go through the trouble again. Oh, and I think the amp sim they used for the leads on PBP was a b-b-b-behringer V-amp. Could be wrong. Thats just what I've read and partially remembered. Not sure what pickups were used.

Okay, here's the info dug out of their forum once more. This is from 2006:

Jonas Kjellgren said:
Hello I (Jonas Kjellgren) use Jackson or schecter guitars via boss-noisesupressor then ibanez tubescreamer into an Engl-Fireball(or Powerball). That's it!! Live I use whatever is avaible,Engl,5150,Mesa rectifier or Marshal Jcm2000..Most of the time I feel that I can get my sound with just about any hi-gain amp, just use the tubescreamer than I'm home
At the moment I'm using 010-056(daddario 7-stringkit), I use Mike Ammots pick,or grey jimdunlops
Cheers/Jonas

PBP:
Jonas Kjellgren said:
Hello Iceblade and others Rhytm-guitars is layered 4times with the Engl Fireball. 2 of the guitar tracks are using 2cabinets standard marshall+a behringer with jensen speakers(marshall=dark, behringer bright).guitar 3 and 4 only uses the marshall cab. each cabinet close miked with one sm57 into Amek purepath-preamp. on Symmetric in design it was one cab with 2 sm57s
We actually have some video-clips from the making of symmetric in design, but I don't have it some of the other bandmembers has it..
Per uses the vamp on his solos,I always play thru an amplifier. I get no bluesy-juicy feeling in my playing when playing thru pods or software-amps, but I'm sure it works for some guitarists Rock ööön/J

Per Nilsson said:
This is my first post in this forum, so: HI EVERYBODY!!!

In the studio, I use the same setup for rhythm guitars as Jonas - Engl Fireball etc. Live I pretty much use whatever's available.

For "Symmetric in Design", Altered Aeon "Dispiritism" and World Below "Maelstrom" I used a V-Amp for all my solos. It's not the best lead tone ever but it works. For "Pitch Black Progress" I recorded my solos with Guitar Rig and then I re-amped everything twice: first through my V-Amp then through a MetalZone-pedal, a Marshall Anniversary-amp and a Behringer 4x12 cab miked with a Behringer B1. I blended the V-Amp-reamped signal with the Marshall-reamped signal, which sounded a lot better than only using the V-Amp.

I use two different 7-string guitars with Scar Symmetry, a black Ibanez Universe with green pickups and a blue Ibanez with "Prestige" written on the head... Dunno what the model's called...

I use Dunlop's Jazz III picks, and string my guitars 009-054 with whatever brand of strings is the cheapest!

I've got the videos from the "Symmetric"-recordings, as well as a lot of other video and stills from recording and touring with Scar Symmetry. Perhaps we should save it for a DVD or something in the future...

CHEERS!!!

Way to copy Per's post twice Tornio :D But that's fucking awesome info, and AMAZING that he uses such a laughably horrible setup for his lead tones and yet they sound so good! But while a lot of it is of course "tone in the fingers," the fact is I've always though lead playing masked the imperfections of modelers far more than rhythm playing as well ;) And psshh, Jonas may write awesome riffs, but with abominations like his "solo" on "Detach from the Outcome" :)yuk: ) he has no right to criticize modelers! (especially when Per and our own Dimi apparently are pretty much exclusively digital, and can get tones as "juicy" as ever from 'em! :Smug: )

I've never really liked Per's lead tone in the slightest, but his playing of course is immaculate. I could only imagine what he'd sound like playing through a set-up similar to Holdsworth.