Scar Symmetry and Stream of Passion for ProgPower

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
I just recently received and reviewed both of these brand new cd's from each of the bands I mentioned above. Amazing stuff would love to see both on ProgPower. Scar Symmetry and Stream of Passion would be the perfect odd ball bands.

Artist: Scar Symmetry
Title: Symmetric In Design
Release Date: 2005
Label: Nuclear Blast
What we have here is some great musicianship, some awesome death/extreme metal vocals, and some killer clean vocals. I’ll admit it took me awhile to accept this style of clean vocal but it has grown on me and they make perfect sense. This is a melodic slab of Swedish death/power metal and it is going to appeal to fans of Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Soilwork, Children of Bodom, and Evergrey. They don’t sound exactly like any of the above mentioned bands which is a good thing but share a lot of influences with the mentioned bands. Some of the music gets my feet tapping and my head banging with some machine gun riffs. A neo classical inspired guitar solo is showcased on "Dominion" which is rather cool and reminiscent of dare I say Yngwie? The album features a lot of good traditional heavy metal guitar solos.
I am digging this band big time and I can see them growing to become one of the big boys and in the near future maybe being mentioned in the same breath as fellow countrymen Soilwork, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Evergrey, and Hypocrisy. I would have much rather seen Scar Symmetry on tour recently with Arch Enemy and before that God Forbid/Meshuggah rather then fellow Swedes Mnemic who have been getting a lot of attention here in the States. Scar Symmetry has a lot of potential and a solid debut album. Time will tell if this band will walk the road to the metal hall of fame.
---

Artist: Stream of Passion
Title: Embrace the Storm
Release Date: 2005
Label: Insideout
For once we have a female fronted band in which upon first listen Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, or Evanescence DO NOT come to mind. So right off the bat you know this band is doing something right. Stream of Passion was formed by Arjen Anthony Lucassen who is well known for his latest endeavor, the Ayreon rock opera The Human Equation. With Stream of Passion he is able to showcase the amazing voice of Mexican singer Marcela Bovio. This is the first time in ten years that Arjen has formed a band.
The album does not have a set musical direction and for this reason I find this album very enjoyable. It offers up a little bit of everything blending mysterious gothic vocals, heavy metal guitars and atmospheric trip-hop, with haunting pianos and live cello and violin quartets. Most importantly each and every song is very well crafted. You know the music is doing its job when it paints an image in your head and puts you into a certain location. The music takes me away and sends me on a trip. Listening to this album I envision a humid and misty summer night with an amazing thunderstorm about to erupt and light up the skies. Any band that has the power to take me away and paint an image such as this is without a doubt doing a great job.
This album will not easily appeal to all fans of metal music. A very open mind is required as well as being in a relaxed state of mind. I find this band has something to offer and is a breath of fresh air in today’s scene of female fronted bands. My suggestion is to put your storm windows in, sit back and embrace this stream of passion.

If I had heard Scar Symmetry before the cut-off date, I might have pitched them to Glenn as the oddball band. I love "Symmetric in Design," and it is my favorite album of 2005. It has the elements that I loved about Dream Theater, combined with the death vocals. Plus, the clean vocals are excellent as well...a perfect mix of these two styles. And the music is so catchy, I find myself listening to the album every day.

Unfortunately, I am going to be crushed if these guys decide to go for "the American market" and dumb their sound down like many of their contemporaries. I have learned to just not put my faith in melodic death metal bands from here on out.

Yeah talk about appealing to the American market... I was so amped to see Mors Principium Est at Brave Words 6 Pack this past year. They came here thinking they have to play an ultra aggressive set because they are in America. They didn't play one melodic song (shame since I think "Eternity's Child" is their best song) and they left the crowd thinking they are just another death metal band. This band had so much potential to shine at this festival and they really dropped the ball.

SCAR SYMMETRY is a must for PPVII, i know Glenn already has the line-up basically set, but we can still hope, and if not the Main stage maybe Pre-party.

Stream of Passion, agreed 100%. They better be at ProgPower!

Scar Symmetry... I still gotta check them out... any recommendations?

AngraRULES said:
Stream of Passion, agreed 100%. They better be at ProgPower!

Scar Symmetry... I still gotta check them out... any recommendations?
They latest release or should i say only release is "Symmetric in Design", the only place i have found it for sale is at www.vvinyl.com Check them out they are an awesome band.

CDINZANE has it too, for $12.00 along with an mp3 clip (instead of $12.99, like vvinyl w/o any mp3 clips). Don't forget to hook up Zane!

Holy shit! Happy to see others digging Scar Symmetry. :D

I would love to have either of these bands here myself. I recently interviewed both, so if you'd like to read 'em head over to tmetal.com and click on interviews. :)

Unca Kev said:
CDINZANE has it too, for $12.00 along with an mp3 clip (instead of $12.99, like vvinyl w/o any mp3 clips). Don't forget to hook up Zane!
When i ordered it only vintage vinyl had it, so i had to take it while i could, but if Zane had had it then well its a no brainer.

john

dargormudshark said:
isn't scar symmetry all death vox though?

No, it's a solid mix between clean and death. And both styles, by Christian Alvestam, are excellently done.

dargormudshark said:
isn't scar symmetry all death vox though?

Far from it. And Christian's clean vocals are ridiculously catchy, so they'd even appeal to some of the power metal fans. ;)

The singer reminds me of a cross between Dan Swano and Mikael Akerfeldt. There's definitely something in the water over in Sweden. :p

"The Swedish government gives you some sort of grant or money if you're in a band...." --Mikael Akerfeldt

"They do WHAT?! We never knew...." --Daniel Gildenlow (backstage at PPUSA V)

I decided it must be the water over there after all. :D

Prog Maiden said:
Far from it. And Christian's clean vocals are ridiculously catchy, so they'd even appeal to some of the power metal fans. ;)

The singer reminds me of a cross between Dan Swano and Mikael Akerfeldt. There's definitely something in the water over in Sweden. :p
I'm glad that I drank some of the water, when I was over there then! ;)

I will say that I'm fine with cookie monster vox, when used sparingly (for a certain character or emotion in the song), but I wasn't really put off by them in Scar Symmetry, since there are clean vox part of the time. The thing that sticks out about them, to me, isn't the vox so much (which are alright) as how much the band (instrumentally) kicks ass! It's not exceptional or progressive or anything like that, but I defintely had my head bangin' to it!

But out of the 2 bands, if it had to be one, I would definitely like to see Stream of Passion at PP! A damn good CD that I listened to many times! They would bring something to PP, that you usually don't hear. I know that people have complained that they're not prog enough and not hard enough, it's too mellow, but the thing is, that it isn't just an Arjen project. There's definitely others in the band bringing something to the table. Ya wanna listen to something with more Arjen, then listen to Ayreon! I do! When I listen to music it doesn't have to be anything (fit into certain genres), but good, at the very least.