Why are melodeath and brutal death such despised genres?

Yeh that's right, flame me because I'm ecclectic enough to like some britpop. I like The Chasm so screw your closed mind man! I'm open-minded something you clearly haven't.

A swift edit saves me; fuck you MetalNoob. The Chat forum sucks but for some reason I get the impression it isn't a complete turdhole full of trolls so I wouldn't want to ruin their good times.

Int said:
A swift edit saves me; fuck you MetalNoob. The Chat forum sucks but for some reason I get the impression it isn't a complete turdhole full of trolls so I wouldn't want to ruin their good times.

I love how you assumed that I hate BritPop, which I don't I just don't care to listen to it. And yes this is filled with trolls, and yea fuck me. Just stop saying random shit and starting flame wars with people.

I don't despise melodeath, I only had a problem with it when it was the trend of the time and metal became saturated with terrible or mediocre melodeath bands. Nothing's more boring than trite mdm but the classics are still great.

MetalNoob said:
I been getting into a lot of Brutal Death metal lately, but I tend to pass on a lot bands due to not having a distinct sound.

This is where you and I differ. The fact that I love even the clone bands makes brutal death my favorite genre. Of course I like the classics, but nothing wrong with a Devourment or Suffocation clone. They are cloning the best!:kickass:

As for a brutal death band with a unique sound check out Destroying Divinity. They are Czech and have two albums out. Good atmosphere and pretty unique sounding.

Authentic Metalhead said:
The three best melodeath albums in my opinion (or at least the ones that are the best intro to the genre):

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
In Flames - The Jester Race
Dark Tranquility - The Gallery

Or as Zephyrus calls them, the "Big Three" of melodeath. :)

I don't know about "Slaughter of Soul" it's good, but I have trouble liking it due to how great their previous releases were. I would put Soilwork's "The Chainheart Machine"

I would also remove SOTS, but rather than replacing it with a pile of crap I think I'd opt for something like Mirrorworlds (or if more than one album by a single band is allowed, perhaps TMI or TSD).

The three best melodeath albums in my opinion (or at least the ones that are the best intro to the genre):

Steelbath Suicide
The Jester Race
In The Holymarsh

Probably my top 3.

I can see the downsides in both melodeath and brutal death. Both styles are way oversaturated with generic, substandard clones. But it's not just that.

Melodic death has always been an extremely hit-or-miss style to me. While saying I despise most of it would be a bit overboard, anything less than excellent in that style is extremely hard for me to listen to. There are a number of bands I can really enjoy for the fact that all the pieces seem to fall together perfectly, or close to perfectly (Dark Tranquillity, Insomnium, Depresy, Garden of Shadows, Eucharist, Arsis, etc.). When a melodeath band fails to do that, it just becomes so incredibly tedious and unlistenable for whatever reason. Brutal death is different. There's a handful of acts who rise above the rest, but unlike melodeath, it's not something you can mess up as easily, and I'll still be able to listen to (and enjoy, to one extent or another ) a mediocre brutal death band. It's something you either like or you don't, most of the time.

Actually I referred to them as "The Gothenburg Trio", which is not my original concept.

Melodeath seems to be well received when it comes to metal and labels. Melodeath is great when well done. Brutal Death metal is crappy and will continue having horrible production jobs and being signed to some crappy label that will most likely fold anyways.

Well, technically not really. The term melodic death metal is to be taken literally for some people (it depends what the standards are wherever you're talking about it though). Since melo-death metal (the original "melodic death") is really just power/heavy metal (perhaps slowed down) with harsher vocals and a more biting guitar tone, they're not really "death metal" (since death metal = enhanced use of rhythm, technicality, etc.). Thus, melo-death is basically power/heavy metal with SOME, but not any DEFINING characteristics of death metal. Melodic death metal is just death metal that is melodic enough to separate it from other death metal.