Why are melodeath and brutal death such despised genres?

cookiecutter said:
I kind of have that feeling about the much of CADM as well. It is ok, but seems too clean to me. I like Deeds of Flesh a lot, but the rest don't seem to measure up.

That's pretty much how I feel. Very clicky and polished, which I don't mind in and of itself, and earlier on in the UL's life I liked a good number of the bands and still do. But by now they've got so many similar-sounding albums by half their bands that I don't bother checking as many of them out. They've still had good more recent releases by Brutus, Trauma, Gorgasm and one or two others.

Miki4 said:
To tell you the truth...I don't like these genres!!! They are very dark, they bring just negative emotions...It is not that negative emotions are bad... it is just that most people like positive things in life... maybe it is the reason why death metal is not very popular!

No offense, but you're fucking retarded. Music can mean anything to any person. It's all relative. You pretending all death metal is negative to everyone on Earth is just being an arrogant asshole. Sorry.

genocide roach said:
youd be suprised dude. some metalheads are fucking morons and say exactly that.

Eh, I tend to see that kind of thinking as a stupid cop-out more than anything.

By the way, if you want to be pointed out to brutal death bands you might like, I'm your man...ask some people here, I think I give decent recs for the genre based on what you like.

cookiecutter said:
I never got the impression that grind core was hated, just that it had a relatively small following.

around these parts its seems so...I'm in a minority...:mad:

cookiecutter said:
I have noticed a lot of people on this board dislike because it is quite different from the old classics such as Morbid Angel, Obituary, Entombed etc. Until recently it seemed only V5 and I talked about it.
A lot of people on this board are reeking twats. Brutal Death is not my absolute fave within the metal genre, but I do harbor a great fondness for it. You aren't a true metalhead if you don't. Fuck all who disagree.

I think the reason grindcore is so hated (btw, I'm a fan, probably one of the only ones here, obviously) is because grind puts more emphasis on message rather than musicianship.

ohiogrinder said:
I think the reason grindcore is so hated (btw, I'm a fan, probably one of the only ones here, obviously) is because grind puts more emphasis on message rather than musicianship.
In its real form, grind to me has always been kinda like "brutal" punk. Bands like Carcass and Terrorizer have incorporated actual "playing" into it and took the form to a decent level in the metal genre.

VadimVon said:
In its real form, grind to me has always been kinda like "brutal" punk. Bands like Carcass and Terrorizer have incorporated actual "playing" into it and took the form to a decent level in the metal genre.

I like a lot of it though, like Discordance Axis, Agathocles, Benumb, Brutal Truth, Assuck, Nasum and Cripple Bastards. whether or not its metal is up to the listener to decided. I consider it metal, albeit a very extreme form of it. I also consider it punk rock as well. its both, at least to me.

ohiogrinder said:
I'm the exact opposite. melodic death metal just doesn't do it for me....waaay too saccharine.

I'm not a big fan of melodeath either, I meant death metal with melody, like Vader, Morbid Angel, Death...that sort of thing. Shit with progression (not progressive) and memorable riffs. Example: listen to Vader's "The Dark Age". Just in the first minute, it progresses through several different riffs and is quite memorable (been stuck in my head ever since I first heard it).

'Nuff said.

Authentic Metalhead said:
I'm not a big fan of melodeath either, I meant death metal with melody, like Vader, Morbid Angel, Death...that sort of thing. Shit with progression (not progressive) and memorable riffs. Example: listen to Vader's "The Dark Age". Just in the first minute, it progresses through several different riffs and is quite memorable (been stuck in my head ever since I first heard it).

'Nuff said.

Morbid Angel is awesome, so is Vader. never was a huge Death fan, they're alright but I've never been compeled to buy any of their albums.

Miki4 said:
To tell you the truth...I don't like these genres!!! They are very dark, they bring just negative emotions...It is not that negative emotions are bad... it is just that most people like positive things in life... maybe it is the reason why death metal is not very popular!

Bullshit. Metal makes me feel joyful and ALIVE :kickass:

I actually started doing better in school after I started listening to metal.

Miki4 said:
Get out of my thread, troll.

Life Sucks said:
Yeah, of course there are a lot of shit bands in these genres, but that can be said for every genre, especially black metal (bm is one of my favorite genres, but there are countless bedroom black metal bands that can hardly play putting out CDs). But, there are also plenty of very good (IMO) bands playing both brutal death and melodeath. Yet many people seem to blindly dismiss any band playing either.

I like some of that "brutal" death out of sheer novelty. It gets pretty stupid when all its aims are the cliche "more extreme and brutal the better". It's not even what it was originally intended.

I never liked melo-death that much. Probably because it isn't my taste. I think it just sounds almost poppy to me.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
You should listen to Holymarsh's s/t!
Or perhaps Intestine Baalsim would be an even better place to start for someone who doesn't like melodeath and thinks it sounds poppy. Inestine Baalism are damn heavy for a melodeath band. Or maybe even Man Must Die, whose sound I would actually describe as brutal melodeath.

Well IB are melodic death metal as in they are firmly rooted in death metal (most of the time, sometimes they end up being power-y) but have an ample amount of melody and traditional harmony to separate them from "run of the mill" DM.

Holymarsh are straight melo-death.

Yes I'm a nitpicker. But good call!

I used to be huge into Melodic Death metal, such as Dark Tranquility(Still good), In Flames (their old stuff kinda sucks now to me, but Moonshield is still one my favorite songs), Soilwork (my biggest guilty pleasure, long live Bjorn).
Into stuff like Insomnium, Wuthering Surface etc.

I been getting into a lot of Brutal Death metal lately, but I tend to pass on a lot bands due to not having a distinct sound.