Why are melodeath and brutal death such despised genres?

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Not necessarily. Though some tend to be wanky (Spawn Of Possession, Crimson Massacre), a good majority (the aforementioned Gorod and Gory Blister) also write spectacular songs.

:oops:

Bands like Necrophagist and Decapitated have little to no songwriting abilities either, just wankery which I can only take so much of.

Sorry for all the calling out, but I really like this thread.

UndyingDarkness said:
How come you didn't mention any Kronos or Benighted?

True...I mention Kronos almost every chance I can get though, heh...Colossal Titan Strife is pretty much one of the best death metal albums of the last 5-6 years, so I'll leave it at that. Benighted are not strictly "melodic death metal," though I suppose they can lean that way at times, so why not. They also have a black-ish feel, and can be quite technical.

Blue_Jay said:
I amen to that. I saw people call bands viking metal, battle metal, flower metal, and so forth. It's rather pathetic since there is no such genre as the above.

Yeah, none of those genres even exist. So ignore them. Why is that so tough? Especially when you already know they're nonexistent (which is, of course, half the battle!).

Zhou Tai 04 said:
What do you think of Omnium Gatherum: Years In Waste?

Not expressive of the great songwriting and passion shown on their excellent debut. Nears trash towards the end. First few tracks are quite good, however.

misfit said:
metalcore has been around longer than 5 years. also, i didnt say metalcore and melodeath were the same thing. i just said a lot of the melodeath i had heard shared a number of attributes with metalcore, like boring chugging rhythms and horrible vocals.

Oh I'm well-versed on the history of metalcore, Overcast, et al. However, the current trend of Swede-inspired melo-deathcore has only been around in pretty much the last five years. What I was saying is that the melo-death/Gothenburg-y style that American metalcore bands tend to rip off predates these bands immensely (by a decade in some cases, considering Slaughter Of The Soul, most likely THE archetypal accessible melo-death/half-thrash album of the 90s, was released in what, 1995?). In other words, melo-death doesn't share characteristics with metalcore; metalcore blatantly ripped off these aspects of early melo-death (which, if I can remind you, heavily predates the current trend in metalcore)...purely semantics, but you're right in saying that they sound similar at times...American Swedish-core tends to just be the same thing ATG spat out 11 years ago with more breakdowns and yell-ier vocals.

Jreg said:
Because of that, I think the genre is more just ignored than it is hated.

ABSOLUTELY. Nail-on-the-head response! Real "grindcore" (fast, catchy, short songs with a punk attitude, though with a definite metal aspect also) is very, VERY overlooked/underappreciated. Hardly anyone has any idea what grindcore actually means.

byrne said:
metalcore has been around longer than 5 years. also, i didnt say metalcore and melodeath were the same thing. i just said a lot of the melodeath i had heard shared a number of attributes with metalcore, like boring chugging rhythms and horrible vocals.

Sure metalcore has been around for more than 5 years, but metalcore taking the Gothenburg sound has not been around for along time.

I mean, Overcast sound nothing like As I Lay Dying for the reason that Overcast don't take their metal influence from Gothenburg melodeath.

In answer to the original question:

Melodeath because, as with every (relatively) accessible sub-genre, it has become flooded with hordes of very generic, untalented bands. If I receive a CD with the legend "melodic death", I know that chances are it's going to be pretty uninspired, easy listening metal.

Brutal Death? I didn't think it was unpopular, but probably because the very brutality and rhythmic bludgeoning that so attracts the hardy few of us also repels and repulses the majority of listeners. Also, posers will applaud anything brutal - which makes it easier fr shit brutal bands to get by just on being "teh brutal!!!111" rather than having any particular talent.

IMO, natch.

Carcassian said:

Melodeath because, as with every (relatively) accessible sub-genre, it has become flooded with hordes of very generic, untalented bands. If I receive a CD with the legend "melodic death", I know that chances are it's going to be pretty uninspired, easy listening metal.

Brutal Death? I didn't think it was unpopular, but probably because the very brutality and rhythmic bludgeoning that so attracts the hardy few of us also repels and repulses the majority of listeners. Also, posers will applaud anything brutal - which makes it easier fr shit brutal bands to get by just on being "teh brutal!!!111" rather than having any particular talent.

IMO, natch.

I agree, you hit on what I was going for in my first post in this thread. :kickass:

Carcassian said:

IMO, natch.

Pretty much yeah...those are the general qualms. Not to say I necessarily agree (plenty of melo-death stuff is energetic, visceral, and challenging, for instance listen to Holymarsh - In The Holymarsh), but I digress...

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Pretty much yeah...those are the general qualms. Not to say I necessarily agree (plenty of melo-death stuff is energetic, visceral, and challenging, for instance listen to Holymarsh - In The Holymarsh), but I digress...

Ah, I think you misunderstood my sentiment. It was never my intention to say that the melodeath field was devoid of talent; on the contrary, there are some excellent bands of the field - but as I said, with them, a lot of talentless hangers-on.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
There are enough bands playing melo-death (which is basically power or heavy metal with a number of more "death metal" influences, including growled/snarled vocals, somewhat aggressive song structuring, more feral riffs, and perhaps some technicality) and enough bands playing death metal that is melodic enough (that is, melodic enough to distinguish it from run-of-the-mill DM bands), aka. "melodic death metal" (a much more literally definitive genre name than "melo-death" for sure!) for them to be separate genres.

Also, since your taste seems to be mainly "melo-death" (I'm a huge Soilwork fan, by the way!...check my last.fm in my signature if you don't believe me :p), I'd suggest you listen to Intestine Baalism - Banquet In The Darkness. It's the best example of modern melodic death metal (FUCK Vehemence!).

And FYI, "melo-death" IS short for melodic death metal. But these bands are not even death metal. Hope that clears things up.

Ok thanks. And don't worry, I believed you, and already listen to Intestine Baalism. :)

Damn it, it has been forever since I've listened to Omnium Gatherum. I just fucking remembered how much I adore The Perfumed Garden. Best melo-death song, ever.

Now that someone reminded me that modern American shitcore (As I Lay Dying, Bleeding Through, etc.) was influenced by ATG SotS, I can see why this may cause a certain hostility towards melodeath. But even so, just because some modern shit bands were influenced by a particular melodeath album is not a legitimate, logical reason to hate melodeath as a whole. This is NOT a "list bands that _______" thread, but some of the bands I like are:

melodeath:
Eucharist
Intestine Baalism
Holymarsh
October Tide
Fragments of Unbecoming
Deny the Urge
At the Gates
Burden of Grief
Bitterness
Shadowsphere

and brutal death:
Mortal Decay
Suffocation
Pyrexia (1st album)
Regorge
Man Must Die (I guess brutal melodic death would be a more accurate description)
Defloration
Venereal Disease
Nile
Hour of Penance
Drawn and Quartered
Reincarnation
Morpheus Decends
Banished

I can think of many more bands I like that play these genres, and I do not think that I hate shit taste, so.....

I am not a hugh fan of the ultra-brutal style of death metal. I am more into old school death metal. I like to be able to almost understand what the vocals are. Bands like Morbid Angel, Deicide, Obituary, Broken Hope, Death, Suffocation, Lost Soul, Dementor, and many more.

Peter