Why are melodeath and brutal death such despised genres?

No wonder I never know what the fuck people are talking about in album reviews:lol: I can see the rationale behind the various sub-sub-genres...I guess I just don't see melody and brutality as mutually exclusive ideas or entities in Death Metal overall. But again, I guess I can see the need for the sub-categories. Hell, lets not even get started on all the spawn of Black Metal floating around today:zombie:

OldScratch said:
Shit...I thought "Brutal Death Metal" was just a redundancy...Death Metal is brutal music - if it is not, it isn't Death Metal. I don't agree with the 'atonal' designation. If a clearly 'brutal' band like Vital Remains is to be called 'atonal' then I give up. Death Metal is Death Metal...I desire no further delineation than that.
I disagree. The term "Heavy Metal" itself is somewhat redundant, and is used for the least "heavy" form of metal. Yet people use that term all the time, causing some confusion. IMO adding the term 'Brutal' to death metal is necessary due to the wide range of death metal, for instance a band like In Flames or Wintersun shouldn't be put in the same category as Deicide. This is due to the huge difference in vocal styles and instrumentation in these bands.

IMO there are only four solid subgenres of death metal. Generic/Standard Death, Old School Death, Melodeath, Brutal Death. Then you have a mixture of genres, ie. Tech Death, Thrash Death, Progressive Death etc...

metal_wrath said:
I disagree. The term "Heavy Metal" itself is somewhat redundant, and is used for the least "heavy" form of metal. Yet people use that term all the time, causing some confusion. IMO adding the term 'Brutal' to death metal is necessary due to the wide range of death metal, for instance a band like In Flames or Wintersun shouldn't be put in the same category as Deicide. This is due to the huge difference in vocal styles and instrumentation in these bands.

IMO there are only four solid subgenres of death metal. Generic/Standard Death, Old School Death, Melodeath, Brutal Death. Then you have a mixture of genres, ie. Tech Death, Thrash Death, Progressive Death etc...

Best explanation I've heard all day. :)

V.V.V.V.V. said:
There is amazing stuff in both genres...you just have to look.

Best brutal death (typical or atypical):

-Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris (debatably brutal, but still...a flawless composition)
-Wormed - Planisphaerium (just fucking ridiculously good on all levels; brutal bands should hold themselves up to this level of pure fucking insanity)
-Saprogenic - The Wet Sound Of Flesh On Concrete (amazing, evil-sounding brutal dm; sinister tone rivaling the famous Privilege Of Evil!!)
-Cenotaph - Pseudo Verminal Cadaverium (schizophrenic, technical brutal death mastery...no solos, no melody...nothing but fucking death metal).
-Deeds Of Flesh - Path Of The Weakening (filled to the brim with slight epicness)
-Woundeep - both demos (despite having 4 different songs to their name...absolutely uncompromising. can't wait for them to do something new...)

Best melo-death (typical really, but slightly out-of-the-norm; some are more "melodic death metal" aka less/not at all Gothenburg-y):

-Omnium Gatherum - Spirits And August Light (rife with passion and emotion...pity about the stupid/awkward lyrics, but still...when you can play, you can fucking play!)
-Intestine Baalism - Banquet In The Darkness (the best cross ever done between typical melo-death w/ Swedish sounding riffs and pure evil, ferocious death metal)
-Calmsite - Elvisdeath (stoner-groovin' melo-death from Finland...broken up now but their debut and this cd are awesome)
-In-Quest - Epileptic (highly original Belgian death metal outfit playing what some might call "heavier melodic death" perhaps...with breakdowns. and sci-fi themes...and keyboards...)

How come you didn't mention any Kronos or Benighted?

This sub-sub-sub genre bollocks really is quite ridiculous. Especially when everyone has a different opinion on which bands fall under what sub-sub-subby-subsub.

P.S. My sub genre PWNS your sub genre any day of the week.

P.P.S. Fartydeath is the coolest sub-sub genre IMO.

metal_wrath said:

Perhaps. For me personally, that degree of sub-classification is simply overkill, as I just don't see certain musical attributes within the 'Death' realm as necessitating a whole new category of music per se(in some cases, I agree, it is valid). Just a different way of seeing...or hearing things I guess.

This sub-sub-sub genre bollocks really is quite ridiculous. Especially when everyone has a different opinion on which bands fall under what sub-sub-subby-subsub.

P.S. My sub genre PWNS your sub genre any day of the week.

P.P.S. Fartydeath is the coolest sub-sub genre IMO.

I amen to that. I saw people call bands viking metal, battle metal, flower metal, and so forth. It's rather pathetic since there is no such genre as the above. It just makes metal fans seem immature to me at times.

And Melodic Death Metal and the non melodic kind is very popular. More so for death metal. But I like melodic death metal more. It's what I'd like to call beautiful heavy.

vx5 is correct, Deeds Of Flesh's Path of The Weakening is some excellent brutal death (and it does indeed have an epic feel like he said). And of course, there's the standards like Suffocation and Nile.
I don't really listen to much melodeath, except for Chainheart Machine and In Flames (Clayman and all previous).
To answer the original post, I guess I never got that impression. To me the most hated genres currently in metal are grindcore, metalcore, and power metal.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
There is amazing stuff in both genres...you just have to look.

Best brutal death (typical or atypical):

-Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris (debatably brutal, but still...a flawless composition)
-Wormed - Planisphaerium (just fucking ridiculously good on all levels; brutal bands should hold themselves up to this level of pure fucking insanity)
-Saprogenic - The Wet Sound Of Flesh On Concrete (amazing, evil-sounding brutal dm; sinister tone rivaling the famous Privilege Of Evil!!)
-Cenotaph - Pseudo Verminal Cadaverium (schizophrenic, technical brutal death mastery...no solos, no melody...nothing but fucking death metal).
-Deeds Of Flesh - Path Of The Weakening (filled to the brim with slight epicness)
-Woundeep - both demos (despite having 4 different songs to their name...absolutely uncompromising. can't wait for them to do something new...)

Best melo-death (typical really, but slightly out-of-the-norm; some are more "melodic death metal" aka less/not at all Gothenburg-y):

-Omnium Gatherum - Spirits And August Light (rife with passion and emotion...pity about the stupid/awkward lyrics, but still...when you can play, you can fucking play!)
-Intestine Baalism - Banquet In The Darkness (the best cross ever done between typical melo-death w/ Swedish sounding riffs and pure evil, ferocious death metal)
-Calmsite - Elvisdeath (stoner-groovin' melo-death from Finland...broken up now but their debut and this cd are awesome)
-In-Quest - Epileptic (highly original Belgian death metal outfit playing what some might call "heavier melodic death" perhaps...with breakdowns. and sci-fi themes...and keyboards...)
What do you think of Omnium Gatherum: Years In Waste?

metalcore has been around longer than 5 years. also, i didnt say metalcore and melodeath were the same thing. i just said a lot of the melodeath i had heard shared a number of attributes with metalcore, like boring chugging rhythms and horrible vocals.

byrne said:
metalcore has been around longer than 5 years. also, i didnt say metalcore and melodeath were the same thing. i just said a lot of the melodeath i had heard shared a number of attributes with metalcore, like boring chugging rhythms and horrible vocals.
That is probably most metalcore borrows heavily from melodeath.

cookiecutter said:
I never got the impression that grind core was hated, just that it had a relatively small following.

I've heard quite a few people claim 'it's not really metal' because of its punk influences, but I agree that most metalheads don't seem to mind it, at least in my experience.

Being that it has a small following I'd say they don't tend to like it much though either, not sure what that leaves us with....it's just sort of there.

Killbot said:
I've heard quite a few people claim 'it's not really metal' because of its punk influences, but I agree that most metalheads don't seem to mind it, at least in my experience.

Well, it would seem that its smaller following would be a logical result of less people liking it. I've known plenty of metalheads to call it pointless, that the songs are too short, too noisy, too monotonous, etc. But grind bands are indeed more punk-oriented in the way they operate business-wise. Even some of the bigger names take a more DIY attitude in their touring, merch, and even recording process. In that respect, they don't really "blend" with many metal subgenres in the same way. They rarely play on bigger metal package tours, usually playing in smaller values with other grind bands, and (at least around here) to a different audience than people who frequent your usual death/black/power metal shows. Because of that, I think the genre is more just ignored than it is hated. If bands like Nasum or Phobia toured with melodeath or death metal bands, it would probably be different.

hibernal_dream said:
I don't despise any genre - I despise shit bands. Melodeath seems to contain a lot of these, while Metalcore and Power Metal would barely exist without them.
:lol: