Top 5 Bands of Genres/Sub Genres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sven Pakkanen

Ein Windir
I have been wanting to make a top 5 list for years, and I would appreciate if you guys could help me out. I mostly listen to Melodic Death Metal and Death Metal, so that's about all I can rate conciously. So yea, just post your top 5 in whatever genres you want to list.

Melodic Death Metal:
Dark Tranquility
Opeth
In Flames
Soilwork
Gardenian

Technical Death Metal:
Necrophagist
Spawn of Possession
Cryptopsy
Sympathy
Origin

Progressive Metal:
Nevermore
Symphony X
Watchtower
Atheist
Ayreon

Brutal Death Metal:
Suffocation
Devourment
Cannibal Corpse
Dismember
Autopsy

Death Metal (more old-school):
Possessed
Morbid Angel
Death
Nihilist
Vomitory

Those are my lists for now, more to come. Feel free to be a dick and tell me I'm wrong. I tried not to make it a list of my top 5 favorite bands, and tried to be fair in terms of tallent and history. Try to do the same.

Technical Death Metal
Spawn of Possession
Psycroptic
Gorguts
Necrophagist
Suffocation

Brutal Death Metal
Devourment
Cannibal Corpse
Abominable Putridity
Defeated Sanity
Suffocation

Old School Death Metal
Malevolent Creation
Obituary
Death
Suffocation
Morbid Angel

Suffocation are Brutal Technical Death Metal in my opinion... and are sorta old school.

Thrash Metal
Exodus
Kreator
Sodom
Slayer
Sepultura

Brutal Death Metal:
Suffocation
Devourment
Poppy Seed Grinder
Mortician
Nile

Death Metal:
Deicide
Morbid Angel
Death
Entombed
Incantation

Grindcore/Deathgrind:
!T.O.O.H.!
Napalm Death
Anal Cunt
Pig Destroyer
Mortician (They're both BDM and DG)

Thrash Metal:
Metallica
Slayer
Voivod
Suicidal Tendencies
Celtic Frost

Heavy Metal:
Black Sabbath
Dio
Iron Maiden
Queensrÿche
Rainbow

Melodic Death Metal:
Dark Tranquility
Opeth
In Flames
Soilwork
Gardenian

Edge of Sanity needs to be in there. Gardenian probably don't. Vital Remains or At The Gates should probably displace In Flames. Opeth more rightly belong in the "prog" category, replace them with Hypocrisy.

Technical Death Metal:
Necrophagist
Spawn of Possession
Cryptopsy
Sympathy
Origin

Eh, fuck this genre. Gorod and Gorguts should be in there, and Necrophagist aren't really best at anything, so.

Progressive Metal:
Nevermore
Symphony X
Watchtower
Atheist
Ayreon

In before "SUNCAGED AND ZERO HOUR!"

SymX are dubiously proggy, a lot of their stuff is just power metal. Nevermore is also power metal. I recommend slotting DT and Opeth in there, as they are the supa-big popular representatives of this style (and also quite good). Good call on Atheist.

Brutal Death Metal:
Suffocation
Devourment
Cannibal Corpse
Dismember
Autopsy

Dismember aren't brutal death, and I also don't know to what extent Cannibal Corpse and Autopsy would be considered "brutal" by today's standards. While they've only released one full-length, Wormed might have earned a place here.

Death Metal (more old-school):
Possessed
Morbid Angel
Death
Nihilist
Vomitory

You might wanna make separate lists for various scenes (florida and sweden could easily have their own). Unless Death is on here for their early releases, they belong in "prog." I'd personally change Nihilist to "Nihilist/Entombed." Vomitory seems like an odd one to include, maybe replace them with Asphyx or Pestilence.

Also, Black Metal:
-Mayhem
-Immortal
-Emperor
-Enslaved
-Darkthrone

Neh?

Melodic Death Metal (I'll give albums too):
Amorphis- Tales from the Thousand Lakes
Kalmah- The Black Waltz
Dark Tranquillity- The Gallery
In Flames- Clayman
Hollenthon- With Vilest of Worms to Dwell

and deicidal your list is fucking weird. In particular your grindcore list really sucks. Anal Cunt, TOOH, and Moritician but no Carcass or Brutal Truth?

and deicidal your list is fucking weird. In particular your grindcore list really sucks. Anal Cunt, TOOH, and Moritician but no Carcass or Brutal Truth?

Fuck off dude. I just happen to like them best.

Status
Not open for further replies.