are Crust and Grindcore considered genres of metal or of punk?

frammis4242

New Metal Member
Jun 7, 2013
A lot of crust like Amebix and Anti Cimex sounds more like metal than it does punk, and some grindcore bands sound a lot like powerviolence, overall what do you think they are?

Crust is as metal as punk can get and still be sorta considered punk, and grind is well accepted as a metal subgenre. They bleed over and into each other a shitload, so I think the general consensus is that they're in both.

Crust is basically metal with drumming that sounds like Motorhead's. It's rarely technical.

Grindcore is a fusion of death metal and hardcore punk. I think it was first played by punks, but then you have Repulsion, so that's something that can be argued until the end of time. It's generally considered that Napalm Death and Fear of God started it. Napalm used to be a peace-punk band (check their earliest demo) and Fear of God came from a punk background as well. To my eternal shame, I have no idea about Repulsion or Carcass.

Powerviolence started out as a more extreme version of hardcore punk (No Comment being the best example of that) without any metal influence, but that changed pretty quickly. The easiest way to describe it would be to say that it's grindcore with stop-on-a-dime changes into slow, sludgy parts. Personally, I find that as long as it's not aping another band too much, it's more interesting than grindcore. And sometimes more violent.

Every originator from both genres came from the punk scene in their respective countries. Like thrash and it's derivatives (some might say crust is also a derivative) you have bands who lie much more on the metal side of things (Pig Destroyer and Repulsion for grind, Hellbastard for crust)and then bands who are undoubtedly punk but also undoubtedly grind or crust (Plutocracy comes to mind for grind. I'd also say most crust falls into this category). I've always been of the mind that they're both variations of punk at heart. Definitely room for disagreement though.

Vocalist's voice got weakaned a bit...It worries me, because on self titled album he sounded SO FUCKING UNBELIEVEBLY GREAT, on Crusher it is weaker.

Vocalist's voice got weakaned a bit...It worries me, because on self titled album he sounded SO FUCKING UNBELIEVEBLY GREAT, on Crusher it is weaker.

Yeah man if you listen to them live it's not the same anymore either. I feel like Avy must've destroyed his voice on that recording and subsequent tours. The way he sounded was just incredible. Then again he might just be getting older. Happens to all the best vocalists.