Metal vs punk vs industrial

While they all might be related, metal is without a doubt the heaviest of the three.
i don't think it's really fair to compare the "heaviness" of genres as broad as punk, metal, or industrial.

funeral doom is probably heavier than most other things in the other genres but powerviolence: is heavier than most metal. not to even mention early Swans: .

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Metal is labeled as the most heavy form of music, whether or not you agree is purely opinion, and generally people will say a certain style is heavier because they like it better, and it "tickles their fancy"

I'd say that punk definitely influenced metal in terms of rhythm and aggression. I haven't listened to enough Industrial to comment on its influence but I'm sure it's there. I'm pretty drunk so my posts may be nonsense but whatever. :p

I would say hardcore, grindcore, etc are the most aggressive forms of music, metal being the heaviest.

Hardcore and grindcore are subgenres of punk, though of course the lines have become rather blurred over the years with bands like Pig Destroyer and Carcass.

I agree with the initial post in the sense that all of the genres are similar in that they manifest themselves in the extremes, but it would be very limiting to think of the genres and their associated movements as mutually exclusive.