Punk Vs. Metal

Listener1254

May 19, 2003
Whcih do you think is better? Me and my friends were discussing this. I like punk and my friend said its a bunch of power chords. but I think metal has power chords too so I don't see how his point is valid. Post your thoughts cause this can become and interesting topic.

Metal is better of course. Listen to bands like Death and Morbid Angel, Hate Eternal, Sinister. Those bands have some of the best guitarists who don't use power chords much. Listen to all their complex solos, and the speeds that they play them at. The drums and the bass aren't lame either. What kind of metal bands are you listening to anyways? I hope its not Nu Metal, because that's where your gonna find the power chords and no solos.

Metal, hands down. Right, the guitarists are far more talented and the music is more complex.

Yeah those bands play good solos and riffs but so do punk bands. They have solos. listen to nofx - dinosaurs will die for an example.

Another thing, IMO, it is a lot easier to play leads and single string picking than it is to just keep switching chords. Switching chords is very hard! Punk bands do this so easily it's not even funny. Just try to play lead or a fast solo and then go right into a chord, it's hard. What about Kataklysm - In Shadows and Dust? that song resembles a punk song in its riffing. do you guys like that?

Punk is pure garbage. I am laughing that you would compare it to metal. First of all you have no idea what you are talking about guitar wise, i am a classical guitar player, and am getting my Master's is classical music. I can tell you that some metal bands like Spawn Of Possesion are taking guitar and drum playing to new levels that no one ever thought possible 15 years ago. Bands like emperor, summoning, abigor use voice leading when writing song's they write it in a STAB form and its very similar to 20-21st century classical music. Punk on the other hand, man i cant even start. Its just garbage. Its not art, its entertainment for the Lowest common denominator. I honstly can tell you mainstream groups like Britiny Spears or Hanson have more complicated chords than your avrage punk band.

Listener1254 said:
Another thing, IMO, it is a lot easier to play leads and single string picking than it is to just keep switching chords. Switching chords is very hard! Punk bands do this so easily it's not even funny. Just try to play lead or a fast solo and then go right into a chord, it's hard.

Are you serious?

So, essentially you people think that more complex the music the better? Then what the hell are you listening to metal for? Go listen to jazz or Yngwie Malmsteen or Steve Vai. The complexity of the music has nothing to do with the quality of it.

With that said, I prefer metal but then again, I haven't heard that much punk.

I prefer metal though I enjoy some hardcore like Minor Threat, Black Flag and Refused.
Also, yes, metal musicians are generally far more technically advanced than punk musicians but that is NO arguement for what genre is better.
With that said, it's such a retarded question anyway so who gives a fuck?

Punk stands as what it started as, a reaction to the pretentious wankery of 70's corporate rock music. These "complexity of music" arguments remind me of the band of that era. Fuck that. In short, they're two entirely different types of music, quality does not equal complexity, and i hate neoclassical metal.

MacMoney said:
So, essentially you people think that more complex the music the better? Then what the hell are you listening to metal for? Go listen to jazz or Yngwie Malmsteen or Steve Vai. The complexity of the music has nothing to do with the quality of it.

With that said, I prefer metal but then again, I haven't heard that much punk.

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. Complexity is, IMHO, completely beside the point. Not that I am the hugest punk fan in the world, although I will admit that my CD player is occasionally graced by some Dead Kennedys, Misfits, the Dwarves, and the like.

I can understand why the complexity or technicality of some metal genres appeal to people, it is just not my cup of tea. I think metal is a lot about impact, and when things get too complicated, it loses a little of its impact. Compare it to a nuclear bomb being dropped on a target, as opposed to an wave of equal mega-tonnage, high-tech laser guided missiles. Know what I mean? I will take the big nuke any day.

Gory Elephant said:
I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. Complexity is, IMHO, completely beside the point. Not that I am the hugest punk fan in the world, although I will admit that my CD player is occasionally graced by some Dead Kennedys, Misfits, the Dwarves, and the like.

I can understand why the complexity or technicality of some metal genres appeal to people, it is just not my cup of tea. I think metal is a lot about impact, and when things get too complicated, it loses a little of its impact. Compare it to a nuclear bomb being dropped on a target, as opposed to an wave of equal mega-tonnage, high-tech laser guided missiles. Know what I mean? I will take the big nuke any day.

BTW, for those of you who say that "punk sucks", may I humbly suggest that you check out Earth A.D., by the Misfits? It might appeal to some of you.

The Misfits rule.

Why compare genres? I prefer metal, but I don't think its "better" than anything else, I just prefer it over most musical styles, including punk.

Did metal stem from punk or are they totally unrelated? Cause I know Sabbath was around before punk, but soe leads in punk sound like they could be found in metal, just with a lower distorted tuning. Ab band like new found glory and sum 41 have talent cause they can actually play solos but most people dismiss them as "sucking" just because they are better musicians than most punk bands. i guess I don't know too much history of the music. I just listen to what I like.

The whole ideal and attitude of punk is gone now, its all just stupid fucking happy happy joy joy twats with tickle me elmo t-shirts and stripey socks. i fucking cant stand all these new punks. I also hate rancid because they reckon having mohawks makes them punks, even though they're on a major label and make videos for mtv. The spirit of punk is dead. Its shite anyway

I listen to a lot of metal, and not so much punk. Occasionally I'll listen to the Dead Kennedys, The Vibrators, The Stranglers etc.

But "Listener1254", (while I am not a fan of categorizing) I think punk generally tends to fall into two genres:

1. The old punk music. Usually political, the music is as someone previously stated, a backlash against commercial 70's rock.

2. This is the new - wave of punk. Bands such as Sum 41, Blink 182 fall into this category. Granted, many of these bands play their own instruments, but more often then not, the songs have no meaning. Typical lyrical content could be "I like this girl in 9th grade haw haw!" Also, the genre can be quite conservative musically. Most bands in this genre rarely explore the possibilities outside 4/4 4 chord patterns. This does limit the variety available.

I had a German exchange whos brother was in a "nu-punk" band. While the music wasn't my kettle of fish, they could play their instruments proficiently, write catchy and almost experimental music (in comparison to the nu-punk that I usually hear). They also had a very good grasp on English, and showed a lot of passion in their music, passion being one of the most important factors for me in music.

From all the music I've heard though, metal generally tends to be a lot more creative, and original than the new wave of punk.

(I can't be bothered to proof read this post, so sorry if there are a gabillion errors, and the content doesn't make sense.)