My Point Read This

Listener1254

May 19, 2003
Seriously guys I don't think I'm getting my point across. I bet any punk band can play any metal song but I bet any metal band can't play any punk song. NOFX is a good band, do you honestly think that they can't play a metal song? Or what about Arch Enemy? I doubt they can play a NOFX song. Why don't you guys actually try to play a punk song instead of just dismissing them as simple chords? Look at Bigwig and Rufio, talented guitarists right there that could probably play any metal song. AFI too. But I doubt a metal band can play their stuff cause they never show that they can play power chords like the punk bands. Look for the tab to buggley Eyes by NOFX or Olympia WA by Rancid, can any of you play those? What about Rancid's bass player? He's awesome. CHeck out his stuff. Look at an at the gates tab, it's all zero's into a single string hit. How hard is that? Not very. What do you think? the challenge holds.

Check out some Symphony X, Death, Cryptopsy, Suffocation and tell me the tabs are filled with open chords. This is idiotic anyway, since when is this a competition between metal and punk?

listerner where do you get you ideas from. il agree with you that NOFX can play some metal songs as they have some talent but to say arch enemy cant play punk is wrong the amott brothers are extremly professional guitarists who are top notch on rhythm and lead and your statement is stupid and ignorant. Another thing do you think all in flames and arch enemy do is play lead with no rhythm if you do you really are stupid.

OK, but why must guitarists play solos? That is blatantly showing off and you know it. It's like a basketball player doing fancy moves instead of just shooting. You'd yell at him to just shoot the ball already. So why do you think solos are so great? They are just showing off their skill. They are unnecessary to make a song good. That's why punk is so great cause they don't show off.

Solo's are only unnecessary to people who don't appreciate music. Punk is just about image and punk rock is just the noise they make to get people look at them.

Listener1254 said:
OK, but why must guitarists play solos? That is blatantly showing off and you know it. It's like a basketball player doing fancy moves instead of just shooting. You'd yell at him to just shoot the ball already. So why do you think solos are so great? They are just showing off their skill. They are unnecessary to make a song good. That's why punk is so great cause they don't show off.

You seem to be a bit confused. Read this post, it'll put you in touch with your punk ideologies:
Postscript: Metal, in the musical sense is far superior to punk in both arrangements and technical proficiency. This is a fact. Punk emerged in the 70’s in opposition of the prog bands that utilized good musicianship. They despised technical players in a sense and this was one of the driving forces behind punk. Punk was never about playing well and it is evident. As far as I know, what makes a punk bad better is ideology and crappy playing. Musicianship was never paramount in the punk community. Metal is different though. Most metal bands, at least the ones I listen to, have complex arrangements and at least some technical ability. I can’t say this about punk.
Using these ideals, do you think punk bands would WANT to play metal? They do not try to be technical in their song writing, it does not mean they do not have the ability, it just means that it is not the sound they are going for.

Now, perhaps the metal songs you were trying to play were doing the same thing, not trying to be too technical, not because they don't have the ability, but because it is not the sound they were going for.:Smug:

You see, you seem to think solos are all part of some elaborate scheme to show a guitarist skill, or at least, that's what I'm getting from the way you're stating your opinion. Solos do not make a song good or bad. Being a muscian, you should know this. Solos are not just too blantantly show off skill and talent. They can add depth and atmosphere to a song, being a muscian... you should know this.

It seems to me, that you are putting punk bands on a pedastal over metal bands because you found it harder to play a power chord than a solo. Perhaps you should become a more proficient guitarist before you 'state a fact' like the one you have stated again, and maybe when you have the expirience you need we can take your arguments into further consideration.

And as for solos, they sound good. Not every band needs solos, but we enjoy hearing awesome solos. They really add a ton to the music.

Some bands need them too.... just listen to St. Anger, boring as hell.... just constant repetitive riffs and vocals where an awesome solo or breakdown could be....

Solos and leads add an extra dimension to the music. That's why they are there. Sure some bands just do them because they can, but usually they have a reason for them. And I don't know where you are getting the idea that there are no chords in metal. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Also, try playing that open shit acurately. One thing you will learn once you actually start playing that guitar is that timing and rythm are much more difficult than forming chords. Try pounding out 8 downstrokes a bar at 210 bpm. Then try throwing in some off beat triplets. Yeah, your punk heroes can't do it. Trust me. BTW, ask your punk musician friends if they can play some of the shit you're talking about. They won't even try. You will get some excuse such as, 'that's not even music' or 'i could do that in my sleep' or if you know some honest people, "NO!"

Guitars should come with a warning: JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN PLAY "SMOKE ON THE WATER" DOES NOT MEAN YOU KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT MUSIC.

Or: "TALKING LIKE AN IDIOT CAN CAUSE CANCER."

Listener1254 said:
Solos are beautiful, dude! of course you don't need solos in 3 minute songs, but personally I don't care about such music anyways.

If you like punk, big deal.... you like punk. I happen to like Gang Green which is skater punk (love their funny-ass lyrics) but be serious. I am sure there are some punk musicians that don't show their stuff because it wouldn't be "punk" for them to do so, but trying to compare the musicianship between metal and punk is frankly a joke.
In fact, I'll take the best metal guitarist twenty years ago (Yngwie) and put him up against the best punk guitarist now and we'll see who can shred the best. Yngwie weighs about 400 pounds and has been playing the same shit for about 16 years, but I bet he can play the guitar behind his head with one hand while stuffing a twinkie into his mouth with the other and bitch-slap ANY punk guitarist who dares oppose him with his shred.

Bryant

FrostGiant said:
BTW, the only reason I posted was cuz I'm drunk. I really don't care what this kid has to say, but I posted anyway. Meh......

:tickled: I was having a few when I posted too and pretty much feel the same way!

I'm also a huge fan of Gang Green. I think punk rockers disown them though for whatever reason.

Punk rock is the short bus in the rock -n- roll motor pool. :loco: