What do you think of punk guitarists?

schindlers_fist said:
Does anyone ever notice how there are some excelent guitarists but they can't write good songs but they whore off their skill for a 10 minute solo instead (very similar to comparing dick sizes). Just because a band is technically good dosn't necisarrily mean that their good, if they have no memorable songs & very little influence then what makes them good.

Most of that list is off but Ginn is in the right spot.

I downloaded about ten black flag songs and none of them show Greg Ginn exhibitin skills. Each song is power chords and they all sound similar. How does this make him good? You can't deny that Yngwie Malmsteen is better at guitar even if you say his songs are bad. I happen to like his songs. Example I think Zakk Wylde is a good guitarist but I hate his songs but I can't deny he is a good guitarist.

Gegg Ginn has a far greater influance Yngwie Malmsteen.

Ginn help front an entire movement on Souther California, he also started a label which contained other incredibly influencial bands like the Minuteman & Husker Du.

Did Malmsteen ever do anything like that?

He played one hell of a guitar but was it ever really anything new, fresh or groundbreaking?

schindlers_fist said:
Gegg Ginn has a far greater influance Yngwie Malmsteen.

Ginn help front an entire movement on Souther California, he also started a label which contained other incredibly influencial bands like the Minuteman & Husker Du.

Did Malmsteen ever do anything like that?

He played one hell of a guitar but was it ever really anything new, fresh or groundbreaking?

He started a new movement, so that makes him a good guitarist? People liked the music and formed bands or their own. That doesn't make him good. Do millions of people liking Eminem and Slipknot make them any good?

Eminem & Slipknot have nowhere near any influence.

Black Flag has a lot more of an influence than Malmsteen, way more. Ginn was the main writer for black flag.

So he was a much more influencial guitrist. Obviously that would make him better.

schindlers_fist said:
Eminem & Slipknot have nowhere near any influence.

Black Flag has a lot more of an influence than Malmsteen, way more. Ginn was the main writer for black flag.

So he was a much more influencial guitrist. Obviously that would make him better.

I'm a beginner at guitar and can't play solos but I can write power chord songs just like Ginn did. Too bad it's not a time where power chord music is just starting otherwise I could've started a movement.

why do you keep going on about greg ginn. he wrote some great songs but his guitar playing is nothing special in the punk genre. and yngwaie(sp) isn't too special either. i don't remember if it was this thread or another one but somebody mentioned rikk agnew of the adolescents as being a good punk guitarist. check out the adolescents for good guitar playing in punk.