What do you think of punk guitarists?

Listener1254

May 19, 2003
Do you think people in such bands as Dead Kennedys, The Clash, Misfits, Sex Pistols could shred up the fretboard? Or do you think they can only play power chords, which is why all their songs have no solos? I mean I do like metal but it gets me wondering if bands like those could actually do more than what they show. Or any punk band for that matter. Besides, all these bands sound the same anyway. you can never hear a new riff from any of these bands cause all power chords sound the same. In metal, you hardly ever hear a repeated riff, and if you do, people make a big thing out of it, but in punk, you play the same chords over and over and no one cares. I guess it's because they don't know anything about music. Any thoughts guys?

Well, the point of punk is it just being easy and fun to learn and play, since it was originally concieved to prove a point, I guess. I suppose there are some of them that could do solos, I mean, in the Metallica icon crap the dude from Sum41 pulled off the solo, and their songs actually do have solos in them. But I dunno, I guess it just goes well with 'punk'.

Tool said:
Well, the point of punk is it just being easy and fun to learn and play, since it was originally concieved to prove a point, I guess. I suppose there are some of them that could do solos, I mean, in the Metallica icon crap the dude from Sum41 pulled off the solo, and their songs actually do have solos in them. But I dunno, I guess it just goes well with 'punk'.

Well sum41 isnt a real punk band so if they play a solo, it doesn't really matter. Pop-punk is to punks what nu-metal is to metalheads, a bucnh of garbage. But, the pop punk bands can actually play leads and solos better than the true punk bands which can't be said for nu-metal playing better than real metal. That's not true. Anyway, I'm not a real guitarist, I do have a guitar but I don't practice a whoe lot. Is it easy to write a power chord song? or does it take time?

It's pretty easy, you can basically pick out 3 or 4 power chords and arrange them in any way they sound mildly interesting and all you would need to do is add lyrics.

Tool said:
It's pretty easy, you can basically pick out 3 or 4 power chords and arrange them in any way they sound mildly interesting and all you would need to do is add lyrics.

Cool, but I can't even switch chords fast so I might not be able to do it. I can slide down the fret board pretty fast but when it comes to going a string down and changing into a chord thats a bit hard for me.

i don't judge good musicianship on any instrument based on technical skill. it's when you use that technical skill that counts. that said, a lot of punk guitarists are pretty good in that respect. check out fugazi or bad religion for good examples. both bands have plenty of difficult solos that sound good in their punk context.

Some punk guitarists can play and some can't. For instance, I heard the the Sid Vicious was so bad at guitar that they had to turn him all the way down and have a canned/ prerecorded guitar track playing what he was supposed to be playing. Also, I've never heard any good musicianship exhibited by Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Bouncing Souls, Suicide Machines, Weston, etc.. The only punk guitarist that I know is really talented and has exhibited his skill is Chris from Propagandhi.

Most Black Flag songs had solos, most Sex Pistols songs had solos, most Bad Brains songs had solos. Most Adolescents songs had solos. Most Dead Boys songs had solos.

Alot of punk had solos, most people just seem to be very ignorant on punk, mostly metalheads.

80s thrash would not have happened if it wasn't fro punk.

Megadeth, Anthrax, etc. would not have been around or have been a lot different if it wasn't for punk.

Where do you think the agression comes from.

schindlers_fist said:
Most Black Flag songs had solos, most Sex Pistols songs had solos, most Bad Brains songs had solos. Most Adolescents songs had solos. Most Dead Boys songs had solos.

Alot of punk had solos, most people just seem to be very ignorant on punk, mostly metalheads.

Megadeth, Anthrax, etc. would not have been around or have been a lot different if it wasn't for punk.

Maybe they had solos, but what about all these bands now? NOFX - don't hear solos there and if there is, they are shitty ones, same with Pennywise. Also the Misfits is considered a great influence and one of the greatest punk bands and yet, no solos. I agree that 80's thrash had a punk influence, but how did the superfire solos get started in thrash and the non power chord riffs? the punk bands before them had no superfire solos and they played power chord riffs. Thrash plays powerchords but they also do single string leads and fast picking. I don't see this in punk. Perhaps you mean agression wise it influenced thrash and not musicianship?

food tastes good said:
i don't judge good musicianship on any instrument based on technical skill. it's when you use that technical skill that counts. that said, a lot of punk guitarists are pretty good in that respect. check out fugazi or bad religion for good examples. both bands have plenty of difficult solos that sound good in their punk context.

Tell me the best song by these bands which has their best solo in it and I'll see if it compares to any metal solo out there.

None_So_Vile said:
i think a lot of punk guitarists are very talented but their muscial genre doesnt require them to use that talent

That may be true but why limit yourself if you can do more than shitty power chords? Example, someone on her ementioned chris from propaghandi can play solos and he shows he can. I know Bigwig can play solos and they play them on their cds. but why would other bands limit themselves to just powerchords if they can play solos? Can you imagine the guys from Cryptopsy forming a punk band? or the amott brothers of Arch Enemy? If you can play, you will show it.

schindlers_fist said:

Hey, you happen to live in the city my favorite punk band Propagandhi is from. Ever heard of them? They are a modern punk band and are still around. Speaking of solos, the last song on the Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes has a pretty kick ass solo.

Listener1254 said:
Tell me the best song by these bands which has their best solo in it and I'll see if it compares to any metal solo out there.

well they're not really comparable in the first place. you can't put a metal solo in your average punk song and a punk solo in a metal song will sound too simplified.

Does anyone ever notice how there are some excelent guitarists but they can't write good songs but they whore off their skill for a 10 minute solo instead (very similar to comparing dick sizes). Just because a band is technically good dosn't necisarrily mean that their good, if they have no memorable songs & very little influence then what makes them good.

Most of that list is off but Ginn is in the right spot.