Musicianship In Metal

Listener1254:

Punk songs are not harder to play than In Flames, of that I can assure you. You say you`re playing the leads, and when you do so, you nail them. Well, while IF leads aren`t the hardest around, I seriously doubt you are able to play them if you cannot play a rhythm part in a punk song. Try recording yourself playing. Listen to it. Most likely you`ll be embarassed at the way you sound.

How do you practice? Do you work patiently towards a goal or do you just noodle around with the guitar occasionally? Do you work on your rhythm playing; palm-muting, equal length of notes, tightness, endurance, or do you skip to the solos and sight-read them from tablatures?

I can't believe I am posting to this, but here goes:

I frankly don't believe you, but......... If you can nail a solo but can't play a chord progression cleanly, you have a focus problem.

Maybe your guitar is in tune as well, that could be another problem with trying to play some punk music.

Bryant

Harp Heaven said:
Listener1254:

Punk songs are not harder to play than In Flames, of that I can assure you. You say you`re playing the leads, and when you do so, you nail them. Well, while IF leads aren`t the hardest around, I seriously doubt you are able to play them if you cannot play a rhythm part in a punk song. Try recording yourself playing. Listen to it. Most likely you`ll be embarassed at the way you sound.

How do you practice? Do you work patiently towards a goal or do you just noodle around with the guitar occasionally? Do you work on your rhythm playing; palm-muting, equal length of notes, tightness, endurance, or do you skip to the solos and sight-read them from tablatures?

I look at them from tabulature. Is that bad? I also look at punk bands from tabulature.

No, tablature is not bad in itself, but it`s easy to ignore mistakes and stops in your playing if you sightread from tab. You didn`t answer any of my other questions though. Would you mind?

ALLLLLRIGHT

I think I was misunderstood!

What I was hinting at is that rhythm playing often overlooked. There are some punk songs that are hard to nail due to the high speed, and how tight the rhythms are.
As much as there are some Metal tunes that are the same way.

Each kind of music has it's own vibe. Generally, I say the musicianship in metal is at much higher level.
But if you look at punk, it was a reaction against overplayed rock, and is more of a gut level energy thing.

I don't play like that, but I can appreciate it.

I'd like to see any punk band try to play Alexi Laiho's leads, and rhythms, and arpeggios.

This is a fact: you crawl before you walk. Before anyone started playing leads, I GUARANFUCKINGTEE YOU THEY WERE PLAYING OPEN CHORDS AND POWER CHORDS. It's just a natural progression. You are obviously an amateur guitar player who listens to what your friends say way too much. Go back to playing your piece of shit Tom DeLong Stratocaster like all the rest of the punk bands.

That's my only problem with punk...it sounds too tinny. It's just not heavy enough. They have the speed, but it's just not gutteral enough.

graveflower said:
Probably because it was pretty stupid.

So let me get this straight, you’re trying to deny the obvious fact that punk music was conceived through a pseudo-revolution in which technical proficiency was completely irrelevant? The whole reason punk was created was to rebel and the only thing that mattered and made you a punk rocker or a punk band was that you held the ideology that the punk community held (much like these black metal debates as of late). Moreover, if you did play something that was overtly technical; you would be branded a sell-out by the punk community. This is the quintessence of what punk is. If you still feel the need to keep your head up your ass, I suggest you contact some of the pioneers of the genre because you obviously don’t know anything about it.

Furious B said:
So let me get this straight, you’re trying to deny the obvious fact that punk music was conceived through a pseudo-revolution in which technical proficiency was completely irrelevant? The whole reason punk was created was to rebel and the only thing that mattered and made you a punk rocker or a punk band was that you held the ideology that the punk community held (much like these black metal debates as of late). Moreover, if you did play something that was overtly technical; you would be branded a sell-out by the punk community. This is the quintessence of what punk is. If you still feel the need to keep your head up your ass, I suggest you contact some of the pioneers of the genre because you obviously don’t know anything about it.
How much punk do you listen to again?

im not a guitar player but just becaus somebody cant play a punk song doesnt mean that they arent a good musician. while 95% of the time metal is more technically proficient in every aspect than punk, it doesnt matter because technical proficiency isnt the point of punk. its about having fun, drinkin beers and screaming about doc martens.
also, musicians are usually specialized in a certain area...metal drummers can blastbeat endlessly but most couldnt play a misfits song with the same kinda feel as a punk. just like jazz drummers do all sorts of intricate ghost notes and subtle fills and all that delicate crap, but most dont play double bass, or if they do they dont do it as well as metal guys do. its just differences in style