Thinking Power Chord songs are hard to do

thrashmetal78 said:
Hey wizards, I actually do that exercise a lot myself. I didn't know if anyone else did it, so I just figured that if I alternate picked the chromatic scale...I think that's the chromatic scale, still learning all my scales...it would improve my dexterity and picking.

Its not the real chromatic scale, or at least not the one in my scale book, ive been calling it chromatics forever so i think it may be a variation on it. It really makes no difference to me though, it works and thats all that matters.

THis is...quite an annoying thread now. To start with I was siding with Listener1254 - I have a soft spot for punk (especially Rancid), but then he started dissing Arch Enemy! OMG! Your album can be however long you want it to be, so long as whoever buys it thinks their getting a fair deal. (Not that anyone ever does, cos in the UK CD's are extortionate - please bring Euro soon). Then the thread went quite interested - about finger/guitar excercise etc. But now it's back to boring Punk V Metal. All I can say is it's obvious that metal is better. AND I have an UNbiased opinion.

iAMtheblackwizards keep talking about scales and mixolydian/ cromatic it's so much more interesting!. It's so anoying I really have to try hard to restrain myself from playing pentatonic stuff in solos - it's so easy. I think I'll go now and learn some mixolydian. Yeah!

Ravenous Enemy, if you can pick up this book called the Guitar Grimoire. It has like every single scale known to mankind in there as well as all the modes for all the scales. If you want new scales to mess around with its the ultimate resource, i treat it like my own personal bible. They apparently make a chord Guitar Grimoire too, but i have been unable to find it, and im too lazy to order it over amazon. The book is fairly cheap too, it was only 21 US dollars, as opposed to some of the other scale books which were like 40 and did not even have half the stuff this book has.

That kid that told you this is full of ignorance. i hate kids like that. the metal cds that only have like 8-10 songs on it are usually songs taht are over 5 minutes. the guitar riffs are definately more difficult and there are bands that have a singer that plays guitar too. look at Emperor or Old Man's Child or Children of Bodom. Ihsahn is almost playing solos and singing at the same time, Galder is playing just about every fucking instrument and Alexi is basically soloing as well as singing. all the punk cds that have 17-22 songs are song that are like 2 minutes long and all tehy have to do with is stupid shit. Metal not only has the brutal lyrics, but also has meaningful lyrics. Opeth is the band i think of immediately when i think of that. There are also bands like Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth that have whole cds recorded with orchestras. i have yet to see any shitty punk band do anything other than basic guitar things, like power chords. i suggest your friend be killed immediately!

This is hillarious :lol:

Quantity does not necessarily = quality.

Punk is good music, some of it at least, but to say that it's better cause they have more songs on a cd is pretty ignorant.

CONTENT is the most important part... there are full length CD's that are only 1 track... Cephalic Carnage, Pink Floyd, or Devil Doll for example can write 20+ minute songs that are more talented and better musically than some band's whole career worth of music.

This is just silly. Come back after listening to a wide variety of music, and then we'll take you seriously :p

Ugh, punk sucks. You shouldn't even compare punk to metal. The only purpose of punk nowadays is to sell "pseudo-rebellion" to middle school kids, or to cash in on the mainstream's pop market. Don't get me wrong, there are still a LARGE number of "underground" punk rock bands, but the genre as a whole lacks originality and creativity. I know that Punk is a genre that takes the "elitism" out of music, but does that mean that it has to follow the same power chord/2 minute format for every single song? Even the so-called good punk bands like the Sex Pistols and the Dead Kennedy's are really not as good as everyone makes them out to be. It's very hard to distinguish the difference between punk bands the same way you can distinguish the difference between let's say Opeth, Rapture, and Children of Bodom. If you want to listen to shit that all sounds the same and hasn't gone anywhere since the late 70's, then that is fine by me. Even back then punk was created with the idea of shock value involved, not actual music.

Metal is Religion said:
That kid that told you this is full of ignorance. i hate kids like that. the metal cds that only have like 8-10 songs on it are usually songs taht are over 5 minutes. the guitar riffs are definately more difficult and there are bands that have a singer that plays guitar too. look at Emperor or Old Man's Child or Children of Bodom. Ihsahn is almost playing solos and singing at the same time, Galder is playing just about every fucking instrument and Alexi is basically soloing as well as singing. all the punk cds that have 17-22 songs are song that are like 2 minutes long and all tehy have to do with is stupid shit. Metal not only has the brutal lyrics, but also has meaningful lyrics. Opeth is the band i think of immediately when i think of that. There are also bands like Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth that have whole cds recorded with orchestras. i have yet to see any shitty punk band do anything other than basic guitar things, like power chords. i suggest your friend be killed immediately!

It surprises me that among those albums recorded with an orchestra, many have failed to mention Diabolical Masquerade's "Death's Design". Has no one heard of it? It's not an old album at all; it came out in 2001. From a band such as Therion, who have been doing it for years now, it's not such a shock or surprise, but to hear it from Diabolical Masquerade? I really feel that this album is totally mind-blowing. If you haven't heard it, get it or find someone who has it and give it a listen. I think you'll be very surprised.

It's refreshing to hear that others have heard of Devil Doll and their great work. Shagrath from Dimmu sites Devil Doll as one of his main influences (mainly lyrically). This is true metal talent.

As for the punk kid, the way his posts were structured make me believe he was just some asshole posting that shit on purpose just to get a rise out of people here. Everything he said was so cliched it's ridiculous. Either that, or he's only been playing guitar for two days.

Diabolical Masquerade's death's design is one of the most amazingly composed albums ive ever heard. Its one of those albums that you cant just listen to parts of it, but you have to listen to from beginning to end to get the full effect (aside from the fact that its 61 tracks).

i originally sided with this guy in the punk bands can play solos, but hes lost my respect now.

I'm sitting here trying to make up power chords and it's harder than you think. Each time I try it sounds the same as the last one I made up, I have to think up at least 3 to 4 power chord riffs per song and think of about 15 songs. It's kinda hard to do. It's not simple and lacking in creativity. And what about my tv analogy? you ignored it.

i dont think i need to even comment on this.

i honestly hope this is a joke thread. if not i pity your sorry arse.

And uh, I don't have a lot of problems coming up with riffs. You can't just sit down and "try" to come up with some good shit -- at least not in my case -- for me, good riffs just come out of experimenting and shit.

Try learning some other songs which consist of a lot of powerchords. Or something.