Musicianship In Metal

Listener1254

May 19, 2003
Is it harder to learn how to play an In Flames song than a punk song? Cause I was trying to play a power chord punk song and I get it sloppily, but when I try to play In Flames leads, I can usually get them. Does this mean there's more talent in punk than metal because it's harder to make up power chord songs than it is to make songs like In Flames do? I bet any punk band out there could play an In Flames song. What do you think?

:OMG:since when is difficult to plat power chords? punk songs are the easiest thing in the world, you can't do a power chord wtf? i'm not saying in flames is technical cuz they aren't, man try to play some death,carcass,nevermore and that kind of stuff to see if punk is harder to play lol, and i'm not even refering the prog metal bands lol

Neurotic said:
:OMG:since when is difficult to plat power chords? punk songs are the easiest thing in the world, you can't do a power chord wtf? i'm not saying in flames is technical cuz they aren't, man try to play some death,carcass,nevermore and that kind of stuff to see if punk is harder to play lol, and i'm not even refering the prog metal bands lol

I know every metal band uses power chords but how come some people dislike punk if metal was stemmed from punk and punk also has solos like metal does? I mean I think it might actually be harder to write a punk cd with like 15-17 songs on it than to make a metal cd which only has 8 songs on it. It's weird, I used to be so into metal and my friends started to talk about punk and now whenever I hear a metal song I'm like "I bet a punk band can play that" but when I hear a punk song I don't think "I bet a metal band can play it" I can't put on any metal cds anymore because of this thinking and it's driving me crazy. Any help would be appreciated.

man are you taking drugs? dude punk is just 3 or power chords per riff, 2 or 3 riffs per song, and louzy solos...i hate to say this but you certanly don't know shit about music (no offense)or theory , i want to see a punkmetal playing meshuggah :tickled: or dream theater :D

Uhhh, what kind of metal are you listening too. I know there's some decent punk out there, but as far as technical difficulty I would say that'd have to go to metal. BTW, a lot In Flames material is fairly easy to grasp. Try to play a Nevermore tune once and you're feelings on this may change.

BTW, had a roommate in college who was a punk musician. Couldn't play metal to save his ass but I had no problem playing his punk songs, so that's why I feel you thinking is flawed. But of course there are always exceptions.

Also, how long have you been playing guitar? I would say once you get those power chords nailed down you may also change you're thinking. Also, you are comparing punk power chords to In Flames leads. Playing chords and playing leads/solos are two entirely different worlds.

FrostGiant said:
Uhhh, what kind of metal are you listening too. I know there's some decent punk out there, but as far as technical difficulty I would say that'd have to go to metal. BTW, a lot In Flames material is fairly easy to grasp. Try to play a Nevermore tune once and you're feelings on this may change.

BTW, had a roommate in college who was a punk musician. Couldn't play metal to save his ass but I had no problem playing his punk songs, so that's why I feel you thinking is flawed. But of course there are always exceptions.

Also, how long have you been playing guitar? I would say once you get those power chords nailed down you may also change you're thinking. Also, you are comparing punk power chords to In Flames leads. Playing chords and playing leads/solos are two entirely different worlds.

How come it seems easier to me to play leads than to play chords? It seems that it's harder to make a power chord than it is to make a song with leads. I am just beginning on guitar, but you see you said that once I get the power chords down cold, my thinking will change. Well that may not be true cause I know someone who loves Marduk and Dark Funeral and he hates punk and these 2 bands mostly only play power chords. Do you think I will start disliking these bands once I learn power chords? Also, what about the people who like punk and they can play power chords? They don't seem to dislike it. I just can't get the power chords down. And when I look at metal tabs I see bands using power chords really fast and I say to myself "I'll never get that" but when I see the tabs for leads or solos i think "I'll get that with that practice" What do you think is wrong with my thinking?

I'm not saying you will dislike it. What I'm saying is that once you get power chords down, you'll begin to realize that it's really quite easy. Once you start combining all the other factors that are in metal with those power chords, such as non-power chords, that fast palm muting chugging on an open E string stuff, leads, solos, etc. you may see that metal is technically more difficult. (maybe not, but this is just my opinion :)) Also, there is a difference between the technical difficulty we are talking about, and what kind of music you find enjoyable to listen to and play.

And, you'll get the chords down with practice as well. It just takes time. Leads seem easier at first because it's just one finger at a time instead of 2,3 or 4.

Seriously, Listener1254, shut the hell up with the punk bullshit already. Jesus tap-dancing Christ, I’ve been scanning these threads and every thread by you is the same thing. Most of your threads consist of something to the extent of: “Is punk better than metal?” “How much better is punk than metal?” “Am I gay if I suck every punk rockers dick I meet?” Just shut your mouth. No one gives a damn about punk. If they do, they should go to a punk forum or the non-metal forum on Ultimate Metal. This is a metal forum, so go somewhere that pertains to your punk desires. God damn…

Postscript: Metal, in the musical sense is far superior to punk in both arrangements and technical proficiency. This is a fact. Punk emerged in the 70’s in opposition of the prog bands that utilized good musicianship. They despised technical players in a sense and this was one of the driving forces behind punk. Punk was never about playing well and it is evident. As far as I know, what makes a punk bad better is ideology and crappy playing. Musicianship was never paramount in the punk community. Metal is different though. Most metal bands, at least the ones I listen to, have complex arrangements and at least some technical ability. I can’t say this about punk.

In Flames....Ha! Hey Listener1254, why don't you try to figure out a song by Hate Eternal, Morbid Angel or Arch Enemy. I'm sure they'd be real easy for you
firedevil.gif

i think what he is alluding to is this-

Rhythm playing!!!!

most Metal types head for the leads first after the basic chords/riffs..
I know I did!

Rhythm is MUCH harder to play tight and on time than most leads(barring the most intense shredding stuff)
But, it's a skill that once oyu master, you lead playing gets better.

My.02

Maybe you should realize that not all metal and punk bands are the same, i.e. some punk songs will be harder to play than some metal songs and some metal songs will be harder to play than some punk songs. Punk is not uniformly made up of shitty musicians and metal is not solely made up of technical wizards. Not that that says anything about which is the better type of music.

MetalChef said:
i think what he is alluding to is this-

Rhythm playing!!!!

most Metal types head for the leads first after the basic chords/riffs..
I know I did!

Rhythm is MUCH harder to play tight and on time than most leads(barring the most intense shredding stuff)
But, it's a skill that once oyu master, you lead playing gets better.

My.02

How are you so positive that people that know to shred know how to play chords? If they only practiced shredding and never chords, then what makes you think they know how to play chords? I dare you to learn any punk band's song and then learn an In Flames song or an Arch Enemy song and you tell me what was harder. It will probably be the punk. You don't know for sure that punk musicians are worse than metal because they don't show they can do better. it's like In Flames shredding, the style of music they play doesn't require them to shred or play fast solos, just like punk doesn't require them to play technical.

Listener1254 said:
I know every metal band uses power chords but how come some people dislike punk if metal was stemmed from punk and punk also has solos like metal does? I mean I think it might actually be harder to write a punk cd with like 15-17 songs on it than to make a metal cd which only has 8 songs on it. It's weird, I used to be so into metal and my friends started to talk about punk and now whenever I hear a metal song I'm like "I bet a punk band can play that" but when I hear a punk song I don't think "I bet a metal band can play it" I can't put on any metal cds anymore because of this thinking and it's driving me crazy. Any help would be appreciated.

Complexity doesn't make a song good or bad.

A good band can make either sond great and make it look simple to play.

Listener1254 said:
How are you so positive that people that know to shred know how to play chords? If they only practiced shredding and never chords, then what makes you think they know how to play chords? I dare you to learn any punk band's song and then learn an In Flames song or an Arch Enemy song and you tell me what was harder. It will probably be the punk. You don't know for sure that punk musicians are worse than metal because they don't show they can do better. it's like In Flames shredding, the style of music they play doesn't require them to shred or play fast solos, just like punk doesn't require them to play technical.

????????!!!!!!!???????!!!!!!!!

So you're saying that learning four power chords is harder than learning leads? Are you a fucking moron? I learned a local punk bands songs in two hours. All three to four power chord songs. I've been working on a Blind Guardian song for over two weeks. That's like asking "Is it harder to learn Vivaldi's Four Seasons on guitar than it is to learn the main riff of Deep Purple's song Smoke On The Water?" It's a question that doesn't really need an answer.

In Flames aren't the greatest song writers in the world, but I'll bet you they're better musicians than say the Sex Pistols or Black Flag.

is this guy for real... i honestly cannont understand were u get off on saying this shit. this is a joke right? u cant be serious. if not please pinch urself because ur dreaming.

it seems to me you are some sort of little demented prick who likes to preach bullshit. and gets off on saying dumb things just to annoy real people with real skill.

Alright, this is getting stupid. POWER CHORDS THE FIRST THING A METAL MUSICIAN LEARNS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then gets bored with them and starts working on the other aspects of music. And are you trying to say that there are no chords in metal? Are you that idiotic? The basis for every song is a chord progression. You obviously have no idea what music is. I'm done arguing this. I'm sure I've been arguing with some 13 year old anyway so it's kind of stupid on my part.