More Riffs On Punk CDS or Metal CDS?

Listener1254 said:
Have you ever heard of the grindcore band Nasum? They aren't typical grindcore like every song sounding the same. their songs actually vary and don't sound alike. They have a cd with 38 songs on it in 45 mins. Judging by the fact that they don't repeat a riff, wouldn't it be tougher to make a cd like this than an 8 song cd like Cryptopsy does? Cause you have to think of 38 different riffs just to make the songs sound different and if you have more than one riff per song, that's a shitload of riffs. Cryptopsy has about 5 riffs per song perhaps or is it more? WHat do you think?
Nasum is not punk. They are grindcore, and grindcore is not punk. Grindcore is a metal subgenre. Punk is stuff like The Bouncing Souls, Weston, Operation Ivy, The Descendants, The Dead Kennedies, Screetching Weasel, etc.. All of those bands have simple, repetitive music.

Life Sucks said:
Nasum is not punk. They are grindcore, and grindcore is not punk. Grindcore is a metal subgenre. Punk is stuff like The Bouncing Souls, Weston, Operation Ivy, The Descendants, The Dead Kennedies, Screetching Weasel, etc.. All of those bands have simple, repetitive music.
\
i realize that but isn't it harder to make a cd like Nasum does than Cryptopsy does? Caue my point is you have to think of 38 different riffs and if there's more than one riff per song thats over 70 riffs. Does Cryptopsy have that many riffs on their cds?

Reverend Bizarre said:
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
Dark Angel's last album. The Promo sticker says : "9 songs, 67 minutes, 246 riffs"

Beat that. Case Closed :cool:

So one band makes it true for the whoel metal genre? WOW!

LuminousAether said:
Nasum are grindcore, which is a subgenre of hardcore, which is a subgenre of punk. It is not a stretch at all to call Nasum punk, and they are MUCH better than Cryptopsy, especially talentwise.

Grindcore is a subgenre of Metal.

Grindcore is a subgenre of Punk.

This argument is ridiculous, it's the quality of the riffs, not the quantity that matters. It's easy to write a shitty song with 50 riffs.

Listener1254 said:
\
i realize that but isn't it harder to make a cd like Nasum does than Cryptopsy does? Caue my point is you have to think of 38 different riffs and if there's more than one riff per song thats over 70 riffs. Does Cryptopsy have that many riffs on their cds?
I dunno. Cryptosy's riffs are extremely technical and well written, and they really almost never repeat a single riff. And in addition to all the tech riffage there are crazy fills or bridges in each song. To be honest, I haven't really heard much Nasum. It is possible that there may be more actual riffs per song on a Nasum CD, but they aren't as complex or technical as Cryptopsy's riffs. But true punk, such as Screecing Weesel, Bouncing Souls, Decendents, etc. is much simpler and easy to write than metal. It is very repetitive. I used to actually like the Decendents, but I do not any more.

Nasum are just much more ass kicking than Crytpopsy. Cryptopsy isn't really headbang worthy, but Nasum = pure headbang madness. I give myself a neck sprain everytime I crank on Human 2.0 or Helvete. The furniture also has a hard time surviving through a Nasum listen, so I try to limit the time I spend listening to them.

Grindcore is a mixture of brutal death metal and hardcore, so it could be called both a subgenre of metal and a subgenre of punk. Nasum probably dwell more on the metal side of things, but bands like The Locust are grindcore and they are as punk as you can get. Bands like Discordance Axis dwell comfortably in both the metal and the punk side of things, so... basically... we're all right. It's just a genre anyways, don't get your panties in a wad. Let's just all agree that Nasum fucking rock and destroy some furniture! :headbang:

Life Sucks said:

Actually, no, Grindcore is not a metal subgenre. Grindcore is rooted in punk.

Well, I have always thought of Grindcore as Metal. I am not going to argue. I don't really know all that much about the roots of music. Still learning a lot. I am basically new to Metal and Underground bands. I used to like bands like KoRn. =/

Then, I decided I should go out and find talent. I was sick of the whinning, and "hate myself" lyrics. Anyway, Nasum does rule. Fucking brutal! I have to go out and get me a CD of theirs, put it on my 330 watt stereo system, turn the subwoofer level up as high as it goes, and enjoy! :)

Interesti said:
Grindcore is a subgenre of Punk.

This argument is ridiculous, it's the quality of the riffs, not the quantity that matters. It's easy to write a shitty song with 50 riffs.
This is exactly what it comes down too. I wouldn't call 3 power chords a very complex riff. You may say that palm muted open string riffs aren't very complex either, but more punk is made of power chords than metal is of palm muted open strings.