Favorite Death Metal, Thrash Riffs?

Misfit74

Jul 21, 2012
Camas, WA (USA)
What are some of your favorite riffs or songs containing memorable or spectacular guitar riffs?

Riffs of note for me in recent years:

Deivos - Absolute of Hatred (especially 1:37 on)

Soreption - Suppressing the Mute :)20 on)

Decapitated - Spheres of Madness, The Eye of Horus, Organic Hallucinosis, ...

Abysmal Torment - Gospel of Maggots, Supreme Tyrant in Putrescence

Hail Of Bullets - Ordered Eastward (opening riffs/main), Strategy Of Attrition (opening/main riff), Red Wolves of Stalin (outro riff especially), Operation Z (2:1:cool: , Inferno at the Carpathian Mountains (2:20-).

Abysmal Dawn - My Own Savior (opening riff is good but I'm talking especially the second main riff at 0:29 - amazing!)

Severe Torture - Repeat Offender (beginning with opening riff, most of song)

Asphyx - Deathhammer

Blood Red Throne - The Light, The Hate

Abysmal Dawn - In Service of Time (opening riff/main riff)

Severe Torture - Serenity Torn Asunder (chords at 1:34 and several other riffs)

Krisiun - Blood of Lions (so simple but sounds so good for so long...an amazing trick to accomplish), The Great Execution (riff at 2:24-2:45 is bad as hell!)

Vengeful - Visions (opening riff)

Opeth - Blackwater Park (epic acoustic lead-in through main riff starts at 1:47)

Damageplan - Blunt Force Trauma

----------------

Older riffs of note (I may edit this older list more as I procure things from memory):

Destruction - The Ritual (main riff), Curse the Gods, ...
Slayer - Angel Of Death (riff at 1:39), Mandatory Suicide, Spill the Blood, ...
Sepultura - Dead Embryonic Cells (esp. 1:24)
Coroner - Reborn through Hate
Testament - Souls of Black
Metallica - Blackened, Battery, ...
Pantera - Regular People (Conceit), Cowboys from Hell, ...
Onslaught - Let there be Death

:lol:

On the top of my head (and songs I just listened to on my ipod..

Suffocation, pierced from within, thrones of blood, infecting the crypts, and blood oath :worship:

Dying fetus, homicidal retribution, praise the lord, descend into depravity 2:02 :kickass: and the new song subjected to a beating has some pretty awesome riffs too.

Opeth, masters apprentice (main riff), the lotus eater 0:49, blackwater park for sure.

Morbid angel, invocation of the continual one (whole song is fuking epic), where the slime live (crazy solo too), and suffocation.

Decapitated, obviously spheres of madness, winds of creation, babylons pride, and mother war (sooooo many good songs from that band)

Cannibal corpse, evisceration plague :kickass: Stripped, Raped, and Strangled, and hammer smashed face.

I had basically all my music favorited on my old youtube account but I changed it cause the name was stupid. :mad:

3:00

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYOX-W3Jri4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYOX-W3Jri4[/ame]
1:20 Fucking beautiful riff. If any Death Metal album could come close to touching None So Vile and Altars of Madness, it would be this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opeth april ethereal 7:37 :worship:

For thrash id say exodus, toxik walts, deathamphetamine, funereal hymn (best thrash intro of all time) and megadeth definitely have a couple, holy wars (THE song that got me into heavier metal like death metal), black friday (seriously underated song), set the world afire, hook in mouth etc. Rust in Peace has so many good riffs/solos too, the best thrash metal album ever.

Opeth april ethereal 7:37 :worship:

For thrash id say exodus, toxik walts, deathamphetamine, funereal hymn (best thrash intro of all time) and megadeth definitely have a couple, holy wars (THE song that got me into heavier metal like death metal), black friday (seriously underated song), set the world afire, hook in mouth etc. Rust in Peace has so many good riffs/solos too, the best thrash metal album ever.
I could not agree more.

So fucking many, 1000s. Right now im so into TH, so im lovin this shit:

Last edited by a moderator:
Possessed - Holy Hell ~ 3:04
Celtic Frost - Eternal Summer ~ main riff
Artillery - Eternal War ~ 3:18
Slayer - Chemical Warfare ~ intro/main riff
Voivod - Ravenous Medicine ~ main riff
Artillery - Decapitation of Deviants ~ 0:20 & 2:44
Exodus - Deliver Us to Evil ~ 0:19, main riff & 4:05
Target - Ultimate Unity

Too many to list by Megadeth.