God damn! I spend too much money on cds.

I use to buy one CD every Friday when I lived in Canada. Now I buy one at usually every gig I go to. They are much cheaper at the gigs because you don't have to pay service fees for the stores.

But I recommend The End Records. I ordered some CDs through them when they had the 33% off sale. It took a little while to get the package (obviously) but I was very pleased with the purchase and prices.

I dl a lot more than a buy, because so much of the stuff that I'm looking for is old school extreme metal and out of print, or otherwise very hard to find. And nowadays, I'll only buy a CD if I know I'll like it. I hate it when I buy a CD, and wind up not really liking it, and listening to it two or three times, and then never again.

I hate downloading, it makes me feel guilty and empty of the album's sentimental value. So I only do it as a last resort.

Zephyrus said:
I hate downloading, it makes me feel guilty and empty of the album's sentimental value. So I only do it as a last resort.

I agree, except I don't D/L at all.

I do occasionally swap files with peeps through AIM, MSN etc - which seems much more like old style tape trading to me.

That's my justification, anyway! :kickass:

I very, very rarely download myself. It's not that I feel guilty, but I usually tend to listen to only things that I already own anyway, and sometimes I never even get around to listening to things that I download. I can't even remember the last time that I've downloaded anything, though I do occasionally coerce people into downloading things for me, insisting that they would like it too.

I download a lot of stuff, and I defend my actions by claiming that I'm testing the waters to make sure what I do buy is worthwhile. But this is bullshit. Most of my purchases are blind buys, and well over half of them are as rubbish as the law of averages would suggest. But still, I buy a fuckload of CD's, so I'm not exactly the bane of the underground or anything...

Carcassian said:
I agree, except I don't D/L at all.

I do occasionally swap files with peeps through AIM, MSN etc - which seems much more like old style tape trading to me.

That's my justification, anyway! :kickass:

Yeah I swap a lot of CD's with cookiecutter and upload them to my itunes library. But it's kind of unbalanced because I like a lot more of his stuff than he does mine.

Life Sucks said:
I dl a lot more than a buy, because so much of the stuff that I'm looking for is old school extreme metal and out of print, or otherwise very hard to find. And nowadays, I'll only buy a CD if I know I'll like it. I hate it when I buy a CD, and wind up not really liking it, and listening to it two or three times, and then never again.

I see it as a challenge to try and hunt down out of print cd's. There just isn't any thrill to downloading. You download and there you have it whereas you order cd's and you have something to look forward to in the mail. Downloading just ruins the excitement imo.

I spent nearly $1000 on my last big haul of cd's nearly 100 discs, but I hardly ever do that anymore these days. I went w/o buying alot for quite some time, so I deserved it.
I have a friend who's cd buying would blow everyone here's mind. I've known him for many years, and always knew he bought alot of metal, but his girlfriend reciently commented that "he (meaning my friend) would rather buy cd's than eat."

Nah I could just delete every one of those posts because they're a gigantic, flagrant violation of terms. I think I'll do that...

Or you couldve told us to get back on topic

anyway

Originally Posted by Zephyrus

This is what I hate about downloading

Necuratul said:
I very, very rarely download myself. It's not that I feel guilty, but I usually tend to listen to only things that I already own anyway, and sometimes I never even get around to listening to things that I download. I can't even remember the last time that I've downloaded anything, though I do occasionally coerce people into downloading things for me, insisting that they would like it too.

You have me download stuff for you several times =/

I am comfortable downloading because I know I buy a lot more music because I've downloaded songs or entire albums than I would have if I'd never downloaded anything.

Haha, my breaking the law makes the music industry money!

^ I feel the same way, or tend to at times...I download plenty, but I do generally buy things I like if they are available to me when I go out CD purchasing on a whim. I don't usually order online because of the lack of (and inability to use) Paypal (don't ask, just parents being lame, etc.), so I resort to cash/money orders which are a bitch and just usually avoid it altogether.