learning guitar

Hobo11

May 24, 2004
Fairfax, Va
Im not sure if this is the right place for this thread or if there is already a place for this information somewhere else on the site, I only registered yesterday so im new here.

Im learning guitar, borrowed a friends fender stratocaster, he taught me how to form a basic power chord anywhere and stuff. Also told me to practice al ot of scales to build speed as well as strength. Is there anything else you guys would suggest? I am right now practicing on crappy pop/punk songs in order to learn some basics, definitely want to be able to play some good In Flames or Nightwish eventually. What would you guys recommend in helping me learn?

I would get yourself your own guitar (something you like the feel of) and a small amp. I would practice your picking and right hand muting until your hands feel like they will fall off. I would practice any and all scales you can find in every possible position on the fretboard until you can play them forward, backward and in fragments while sleeping. I would also practice triplett and quad chops on an open E and A string at slow speeds and increase the speed as you get better and better, alternate the patterns, practice all downchops versus alternate picking (2 completely different sounds). Maybe pick 2 or 3 cover tunes and learn them inside and out - use them to warm up on - play along with the CD - or better yet, jam with a friend - that will improve your playing immensely.

And remember - start slow, and play whatever you are playing correctly. Playing it fast but flubbing some of the notes or chops is lame...and lastly:

If you can't play it slow - you can't fucking play it.