Learning Guitar

Firzen

New Metal Member
Feb 14, 2006
I've acquired a pretty much free electric guitar and amp (its pretty shitty) its something I can learn with. Now I have no musical experience whatsoever, but people have told me its possible to learn yourself through friends and the 'net ( i have quite a few friends in bands and such) Is this the way to go? Or should I fork out money for lessons\tutorials?

Any advice related to the question or learning electric guitar appreciated. Hopefully I'll be able to moderately rock out within a year or two. (Who am I kidding? I'll prolly just play Katatonia covers every day I can)

:Smokin:

I've acquired a pretty much free electric guitar and amp (its pretty shitty) its something I can learn with. Now I have no musical experience whatsoever, but people have told me its possible to learn yourself through friends and the 'net ( i have quite a few friends in bands and such) Is this the way to go? Or should I fork out money for lessons\tutorials?

Any advice related to the question or learning electric guitar appreciated. Hopefully I'll be able to moderately rock out within a year or two. (Who am I kidding? I'll prolly just play Katatonia covers every day I can)

:Smokin:

Well, learn to read tabs;

an example (in standart tuning eadgbe, which are the tones from low to high)

E|--------------------
B|0-----0-----------0
G|4-----6------0----6
D|4-----7------2----7
A|2-----5------2----5
E|0-----0------0----0

(these are the opening chords of dispossession - katatonia (originally tunes a half tone lower, but lets save you the tuning;) )

the first chord now means you should play the numbers of frets (iron bar thingies) you see at the string. So, the 0 fret is the non-existing fret, meaning you play an open string. then you play the second fret of the string below the first one by just putting your (pointing)finger just before it...
same for 4th fret on D and G (with ringfinger and pinky finger).

I don't know your level, so sorry if I embarress you by explaining this:p

Well, if you can read tabs, just find an easy and fun song to play on ULTIMATE GUITAR TABS ARCHIVE | 200,000+ Guitar Tabs, Bass Tabs, Chords and Guitar Pro Tabs! , you can find a looot there.

I surely can recommend you taking some lessons, if only to get the basics right.
That's quite important for your technique and stuff, so you wont learn yourself bad things that eventually will be bad for your playing.

What helped me the most in the beginning and what's helping me most now is just playing a lot of songs:p

Also, here's a chart of a lot of chords, try to play some of those, and also try to combine some, so you get some speed. http://www.museweb.com/ag/ps/chordchart.pdf

If you want to know more you can ask:p

learn all five positions of the pentatonic scale, almost all rock solos and leads are based of it as well as a shit load of metal.

lessons help, but once you get the main idea under raps, best to work it out on your own, self teaching is what leads to true development of sound!

lessons help, but once you get the main idea under raps, best to work it out on your own, self teaching is what leads to true development of sound!

hmm, I'm more into the theory; Learn as much techniques and styles as possible and take everything yóu like and make it into one beautiful blend

since there isn't much originallity concerning techniques and stuff to be found...

curso-de-violao-guitarra13_image46_1135256481.gif

curso-de-violao-guitarra13_image47_1135256495.gif

curso-de-violao-guitarra13_image48_1135256506.gif

curso-de-violao-guitarra13_image49_1135256517.gif

curso-de-violao-guitarra13_image50_1135256528.gif