learning a new instrument

updog

May 9, 2009
Finland
i decided i want to learn how to play piano/keys but don't want to invest in actual lessons. well, not many lessons, at least.

what ways have you guys found the most effective to learn a new instrument on your own? do you just look for online training videos and stuff like that, or just simply try and learn songs on whatever instrument you want to learn? or do you think it's absolutely mandatory to have someone teach you so you don't go the wrong way with playing techniques.

also if any of you know of any good piano vids/online lessons regarding keyboards i'd love to hear about them! i'm also a complete dumbass when it comes to music theory but i'm hoping that learning my way around a melodic instrument will help with that.

doing the same thing. i've heard piano with willie is pretty good, but i checked and it's not cheap. all you can really do is get a piano collection book to avoid lessons. i don't have a piano yet so right now i just observe musicnotes.com. rhythm seems to come from the right hand and bass with the left (like your playing 2 instruments) and the 1 beat is mever nissed!

Also learning some new instruments (autoharp, guitar, possibly koto.) I have to agree with Doctor_Gay :)lol:) above. If you have a strong enough background in music theory, you should have no problem. Keyboard is easy, just grab some sheet music and play! There really is not right or wrong technique (unless you are planning on going classical) Good luck :)

Keep that wrist up! When I was learning the piano I used to get a slap on the hand if I couldn't "fit a mouse" under the palm of my hand lol.

The biggest problem with learning an instrument yourself is learning bad technique. It can cause all sorts of problems like RSI and even as bad as carpal tunnel, I have RSI from bad guitar technique because I never took any lessons. If you do go for it alone then make sure you read up about the technique, a lot of things like fingering can be made easier, when you roll the hands etc. There is lots to learn but you have a long time to learn it!

It's really easy to injure yourself while trying to learn keys. Take at least a few lessons to learn correct positions and technique.

thanks for the replies so far.

i was taught music theory while i still took drumming lessons, but since it's obviously not a melodic instrument i never got to use my knowledge in practice so i've forgotten most of it, which sucks because i'd die to remember all that shit now.

do you guys think getting the technique right could be achieved from watching videos? the technique for playing keys looks much easier to get right than the right technique to hold a drumstick, but maybe that's just because i know more about the latter.

a few lessons are recommended then? i actually have some experience in learning an instrument all wrong - my guitar picking technique is pretty unique, and not in the good way.

doing the same thing. i've heard piano with willie is pretty good, but i checked and it's not cheap. all you can really do is get a piano collection book to avoid lessons. i don't have a piano yet so right now i just observe musicnotes.com. rhythm seems to come from the right hand and bass with the left (like your playing 2 instruments) and the 1 beat is mever nissed!

i'll have to look into those too, thanks!

yeah, my goal would be to be able to play songs on piano, that actually sound like whole songs and not just a piano part of one. and also to be able to improvise music.

i ordered a keyboard the other day because of all the plugin instruments i've got... to be able to play pretty much any sound with the keyboard hopefully keeps me motivated. i think i might choose a long-time goal to reach in some years, like maybe learning a Bach piece to play for my dad who's always given me much support with music.

Also learning some new instruments (autoharp, guitar, possibly koto.)

definitely pick up koto if you get the chance! it's an amazing instrument.

the downside with instruments like that is that you pretty much have to own them to be able to get your hands on them, which is why so far, i've mostly kept to the usual ones... one day though, i will travel to asia and buy myself a koto or erhu or both, and none of that tourist-grade shit :D

Definitely set yourself a long term goal man, every time you get a little closer to being able to do it you will feel like you've achieved something! I think that is the key:)lol:) to improving quickly.

It is possible to learn good technique by yourself but you have to be ruthless about it and make sure you don't just ignore it because you are playing fine or whatever. All about discipline, a teacher just helps enforce that discipline.

I'm on the opposite spectrum. I've been classically trained on piano and have been playing for 12 years.
Now I'm trying to get good at guitar. I mean, I know what I'm doing on a guitar I just don't have THAT much to offer.