a question for guitarists

Been playing just a smidgen over 3 years, self-taught with a few pointers from more experienced friends here and there. I learned almost exclusively tab, though I've picked up a couple songs by ear bc there weren't tabs to be found. (Kansas, Nazareth in particular)

From the sound of your situation, it sounds like you're just losing motivation in playing. It happens to a lot of people. It happened to me early last year. I set my Squier Telecaster down for about two months straight without even so much as a retuning. Course, I picked it back up and have been playing at least half an hour daily.

My point is, it's OK to lose motivation in playing. Sometimes the time just isn't right. It's also perfectly fine if you realize that playing guitar is not for you. But if you have the drive and the time, then you're a damn fool for not taking advantage of opportunity of gaining a greater appreciation of musical artists. (that and impressing people with your power chord-banging, tremelo-licking, wah-wah wanging, |V|4|> 1337 skillz)

I started almost two years ago on acoustic and got my first electric last December. I am totally self-taught.
That said, I've already had piano lessons for 11 years and had been singing in a choir for 8 years, so I really know a lot about music theory in general.

I learned with the help of some websites, namely www.metallica-tabs.net (nice metal-guitar lessons) and www.cyberfret.com for technique questions.

I'm totally self taught and been playing for 3 years ... not seriously though ... just for fun and i have that fun just about every day ... i advice taking a few lessons at the begining about the basic chords, scales and finger positions ... that will help you not getting into any addictive wrong position (things that i learned by attempt and error and cost me a load of lost time) ... i cant make any advice about learning theory ... if you like it learn it.
About tabs ... well i grew up on tabs but i pretty mutch can figure out anything by listen (but i'm very lazyyyyy)...

Been about 5 years playing myself, guitar and bass, and about a year on drums. I took my two free lessons, learned which end is up on the guitar and went home and started fooling around. Started with tabs, still use 'em from time to time, but just this past year I decided to dabble in theory. It's helped me a little bit but I don't feel it's as essential as many players make it out to be. I have a pretty good ear and listen to a wide spectrum of music...I'll take something I like from a song, pick it apart and see how it works, see if it can be applied in other places on the neck or what have you then use it to come up with something of my own. Usually ends up sounding nothing like it's inspiration, but I'm glad of that. The only real thing theory has done for alot of people is instill an elitist attitude which has little place in the music world. I've enjoyed the bit of theory I've dabbled in but I don't feel its necesary, I still write good music without it. I guess my stance is teach yourself then grab some lessons and theory for stuff you have trouble with, or take a theory course to bolster your skills like I did. Never hurts to have two approaches to a problem, yknow? I'm glad I didn't start with theory because it can have a way of boxing you in and making you think of everything in black and white. You can lose expression when your burdened with the jargon, man.

Originally posted by phon1c
Never played an instrument before, that helps so much if you have.
Agreed, I play the violin and had done theory before starting, helped me a huge amount.

Originally posted by Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral
How about this.

James Hetfield - fucking supurb guitarist who can flawlessly play and sing cross rythems.

He doesn't even know what the notes on the neck are, and look how fucking great he is.

Well, not everyone can be like that, some people really want to learn more about their instrument.

How about this.

James Hetfield - fucking supurb guitarist who can flawlessly play and sing cross rythems.

He doesn't even know what the notes on the neck are, and look how fucking great he is.
Cliff Burton new theory and brought it to Metallica, look at how great he was. :p

I have been playing for about 7 months now. I first learned how to play most of the open-ended chords. Then I learned how to play barre chords. I practiced transitioning from one chord to another over and over. At the same time, I learned how to properly strum and learned many different strumming patternes. I did all this through a cd rom I purchased.

Now, I have begun to learn how to play lead by learning and practicing scales and modes. It is at this point that I feel good about playing the guitar, now that I am actually learning the notes of the frets...It is like I am beginning to "know" my guitar.... and how it all is beginning to fit together is a great thing.

anyone who doesn't learn theory, scale, and arpeggios etc is a serverely handicapped musician. And by the way who cares if hetfield is good? There are plenty better than him and most know theory as a basis.

a musician without those forms found in theory will always be second rate and will always be a garage player. nothing more, he will never be great. good musicians are a dim a dozen but great ones are few and far betwee, and they know theory.

Originally posted by ControlledChaos
anyone who doesn't learn theory, scale, and arpeggios etc is a serverely handicapped musician. And by the way who cares if hetfield is good? There are plenty better than him and most know theory as a basis.

a musician without those forms found in theory will always be second rate and will always be a garage player. nothing more, he will never be great. good musicians are a dim a dozen but great ones are few and far betwee, and they know theory.

~ This makes much sense.

How about this.

I thought Hetfield played piano when he was a kid.

:confused: