Guitarists

Looking for a Job said:
1: using your logic: why bother starting a thread about guitars if you don't have one?

2: right you'll never be a musician. then you'll have to either a) learn how to use tabs or b) play music by ear

3: i'm saddened by the lack of google in this forum

1. Because I am thinking about getting one and wanted input.

2. I consider someone to be a musician when they write original material. I don't plan on doing this, at least not seriously.

Originally Posted by Shadows Skulk
lemme tell you it's not like you're just gonna pick up the guitar and after a month be able to play anything by Opeth

it was a year before I could play anything more than power chords

Yeah, I know. I figure I'll be able to play some simpler stuff after a while, like Harvest and whatnot. I probably should have started played a couple of years ago when most people start if I wanted to be any good.

So you say you don't want (and can't) to be a serious musician? :lol:
About 99% of the people seriously playing guitar started the same way as you: just pick up a guitar and learn a few songs for shit's and giggles. It's what you do after that what makes the difference.

And no musical appitude? That's bollocks! Nobody is born with the "gift" of "talent". Everybody learns it the same way.

Brains for breakfast said:
And no musical appitude? That's bollocks! Nobody is born with the "gift" of "talent". Everybody learns it the same way.

Can't say I agree with that! Some people just have more of "it" than others, no matter the work put in. They have more finger strength/dexterity/control etc etc. I call it apptitude, not talent, and I agree it's not a "gift" (implying it was bestowed upon someone, perhaps as a reward, blah blah blah) per se., but it definatly exists, to say otherwise is to deny reality. Course that's fun sometimes... :D

fhare said:
Can't say I agree with that! Some people just have more of "it" than others, no matter the work put in. They have more finger strength/dexterity/control etc etc. I call it apptitude, not talent, and I agree it's not a "gift" (implying it was bestowed upon someone, perhaps as a reward, blah blah blah) per se., but it definatly exists, to say otherwise is to deny reality. Course that's fun sometimes... :D

Well said.

bangadrian said:
it's a good thing i can do all three! i just got back from the 2005 national underwater guitar basketball tournament, and i came in 4th place!

Awww... Hey! Next time use a much heavier guitar (heavy guitar rocks right?), and try one of those new einsteinium basketballs, the heavier the better. Also, another usefull tip is to tie them good and tight around your neck freeing your hands for swimming, right?

:D

fhare said:
Awww... Hey! Next time use a much heavier guitar (heavy guitar rocks right?), and try one of those new einsteinium basketballs, the heavier the better. Also, another usefull tip is to tie them good and tight around your neck freeing your hands for swimming, right?

:D

Well, he could always try the "swinging while basketball playing and guitaring clad in medieval armour while dueling with swords" world series next year!

bangadrian said:
it's a good thing i can do all three! i just got back from the 2005 national underwater guitar basketball tournament, and i came in 4th place!

Also, please tell me the prize for coming in first second and third was death, horrible death, and slow, painful, and horrible death. That way I have hope for next year, re: you.

NOTE TO MOD: This was NOT a flame of any kind, but a JEST. HAHA! HEHE! Humor, a witicism, a "joke". In no way was I impuning the moral, ethical or racial character of, nor seeking to injure the integrity, morality, ethnicity, or sexuality of the above qouter.

its like the way fat people drink more to get drunk..some are born into it, and some..well, they die young. hah..not ment to make fun of fat people, but i don't plan on being one :)

i just blow on it and make the fart noise when they aren't looking, that would be the appropriate thing to do, i think?..

Get you a Martin DX1. The neck is laminated so you won't have to worry about
the neck warping cause you left the case open in a heavy downpour.
It has a Spruce top and sounds really deep. The lows are the best I have heard for the money. You can pick one up new for $450 or $500 U.S.. Try to get a used
guitar though cause you might just hate the friggin thing cause you are too impatient
and won't practice enough. hahaha

in regards to the guitar, i played drums and bass before i even tried the guitar, and it seems to come easier that way, just saying :).

A good accoustic for not too much money? well, i dont know what not too much means, but martins and takamine are great all around guitars, about 600 for one that can plug in, but i dunno how much for accoustic-only. Another good cheap brand is yamaha, they make some good accoustics.

my dad has a guitar collection going, and the newest is a epiphone alley cat, i think..plays like a dream.

Holy hell guys, $500 is not fucking cheap! I need to fucking feed myself somehow next semester. I'm talking like, less than $100 here. Way less!

well, crap, u can go in the woods and cut a tree down and make one your damn self then lol..$100 doesn't get much in the world anymore, my mom put $10 of gas in her van and it didn't do squat.