Learning to Scream

AllanD

boom tap boom-boom tap
Jul 2, 2008
Houston
I recently got Zen Of Screaming. Did anyone actually find this useful? I've learned nothing from this DVD, plus her screams sound super weak in the first place, plus she tells you to cup the mic. Anyone have any links where I can actually learn something useful? I like hardcore type vocals like It Prevails, Misery Signals, Defeater, Poison The Well, and the DVD taught me how to fry.

yeah ZOF was pretty useless to me also. i did watch some youtube videos but
it's really hard to learn something by just watching it.

i always thought this guys videos were kinda good:

cheers
S.

Last edited by a moderator:
definetly something thats weird to get used to. Just do alot of research so you don't destroy your voice. General tips i know would be

1. Drink lots of water, room temperature. Cold will shock your vocal chords causing damage to them. Hot will do something bad (for lack of a better example haha)
2. Warmup before (this should be obvious)
3. I have read that if you smoke cigarettes (i dont, just an example) that not smoking to do vocals is actually bad for you. Unless you are gonna quit 100% don't bother resisting the urge to smoke before or after after singing. You should really quit if you do smoke to increase your lung capacity, cause your gonna need it!
4. Try to be Phil from Whitechapel, he has the most ridiculous voice i have ever heard :lol:

Experiment alot with making different shapes with your mouth and stuff, it will help you find your true voice.

One HUGE factor is don't try to sound exactly like one vocalist or another. Every vocalist has there own unique set of vocal chords, so use them to sound like yourself!

@roflsaurusrex

I can actually growl, but what I can't pull off is the "shout" type vocal like this

Anyone have a basic idea on how to pull this off? I'm trying to just yell, but it's not getting the deepness. My voice isn't that deep, but a lot of vocalists that do this type of vocal have pretty high voices. My problem is that I sound like a kid trying to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I can say is start off soft. When you are starting out, the worst thing you can do is try to SCREAM AS LOAD AS YOU CAN and fuck your chords up. Like all good things in life, it's supposed to hurt, but not too much. Start small, and build from there.

After that it's incredibly individual, good luck

Steps learning how to scream.

1.) get married
2.) come home smelling like another chick
3.) have huge argument
4.) be arrested
5.) repeat

I'm no pro that's for sure... but the Zen Of Screaming DVD definitely helped. The vocal warm ups, the breathing techniques, all of it is very important applications for both singing and screaming.

before gigs or practicing, i do correct vocal warm ups etc. When it comes to learning to scream, it's got to be all from the diaphragm, if it's all throat, you're going to hurt yourself. Now, if you feeling a bit weak, or aching slightly after practicing your death vocals, that's normal. Muscles will always ache after extreme use etc. But if it physically hurts you, then you're over doing it, or doing it wrong..

Just some advice anyways :)

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll post a clip sometime soon so you more experienced bros can point me in the correct direction.

yeah ZOF was pretty useless to me also. i did watch some youtube videos but
it's really hard to learn something by just watching it.

i always thought this guys videos were kinda good:

Video

cheers
S.

i wonder if his sister is the fourth-best prostitute in Kazakhstan (best sex-in-mouth)?

Zen of Screaming helped me immensely...the video doesn't teach you too much about actually "screaming," but it is invaluable for the breathing techniques, IMO. My vocal stamina is much better since using the techniques (the dump, the reserve air tank, etc.) and my throat never gets thrashed like it used to.

Edit: I'm referring to the first ZoS DVD..haven't seen the second.