Learning to scream...need ACTUAL help.

MegaMustaine

Apr 7, 2006
Hey guys. I've realized that I really want to learn how to scream and front my own band. After trying to figure out the technique for 2 years, I really need some sort of guidance. I think my technique is wrong, as I have this sort of high pitched undertone that makes me sound like an amateur, as though I'm trying too hard.

I've watched all the zen of screaming videos, and they didn't really help at all to be honest. I'm basically starting from scratch, they might help me polish off my technique but really didn't help me starting from the beginning.

What I'm looking for is some REAL guidance. Is there any resource that teaches the technique? All these youtube videos, the guys generally sound like crap. I just feel like I am doing this wrong, and tired of wasting my time trying to figure it out myself. I can do midrangy high stuff, but like I said my undertone is annoying and I can't do anything low to mid. My voice sounds like old matt heafy but more annoying. (bad)

So does anyone have any actual good tutorials or resources where I should look? Sorry if I seem frustrated, but I am.

Thanks

Was just working on this with my band's singer today.. starting screaming from scratch. We tried a billion things but the thing that finally cracked it was the 'cat noise' on Zen of Screaming. Just kept doing that til he got the 'overtone' going, then explored a few pitches with that keeping the overtone.. me telling him when it was there or not, so he could adjust the amount of air pressure, etc. Got fairly good results in about two hours but his voice was too sore by then from trying so many (probably wrong) ways.

Try gargling some water. Do it a lot and get really used to the sensation. Feel a fast pulsating on your soft palette (if you take your tongue against the roof of your mouth, and run it back until the top of your mouth is soft, that's your soft palette). That's the sensation you want to feel from the grit, and that's where you want to feel it. Don't let yourself feel it in your throat or you'll wreck your shit.

You can also just pick a note and practice adding grit to it, go "yeaa" or "yaaa" or something and add some grit in.

If you're doing something good high up (sounds ok to you and most importantly it doesn't hurt, doesn't leave you with a scratchy damaged voice afterwards), then you can start higher up and slide down and try to keep the same sensation. Again keep the grit high up even though you're going lower. If you can't get the grit lower, try narrowing the vowel: basically make it more cutty and trebly (doesn't mean push more air).

The grit always has to be placed on your soft palette or you'll mess things up. If you want a more chesty sound from the grit, you still have to keep the grit high up, and compensate by darkening the vowel, or other things like that.

Was just working on this with my band's singer today.. starting screaming from scratch. We tried a billion things but the thing that finally cracked it was the 'cat noise' on Zen of Screaming. Just kept doing that til he got the 'overtone' going, then explored a few pitches with that keeping the overtone.. me telling him when it was there or not, so he could adjust the amount of air pressure, etc. Got fairly good results in about two hours but his voice was too sore by then from trying so many (probably wrong) ways.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm definitely gonna try these out.

What section is the cat noise located in? I assume it's in volume 1, right? I have both though.

I find that I'm only useful (as a vocalist) in a certain ranges/styles, which happens to be LOW growls, Dani Filth-style, and (for guilty pleasures) pig squeals. I've always aspired to get that Anders or Speed style down, but I could never get any real power to it, which is no help. Being a lyricist I would like to improve my vocals to be able to at least get rough phrasing tracks down (for starters) to aid my vocalist. I will also be checking back on this thread for some input, god knows I need the help :lol:

The basis of the scream is NOT loud. When we were practicing it (the cat noise.. then you hold that and then you add distortion til you get a suitable overtone. Really helps if you have someone else to tell if you've got the overtone right) we were practicing it at speaking volume or softer. When you've got that down you can go to singing volume but you do NOT need a lot of power to be able to scream, if you force yourself too much you will damage your chords and whatever else.

yeah, that makes sense. Do you know where in the video the cat noise is talked about? I have been going through some of it but don't feel like watching the whole dvd. Man i hate this dvd, filled with so much unecessary crap!

Also, when I'm adding a lot of grit, it doesn't feel like I'm pushing that hard. In a way it feels like I'm spending less effort on keeping the sound clean and just letting it break up.

What is the soft palate?

I've yet to be able to scream without hurting myself (or it sounding good for that matter). Can someone describe where the scream should be coming from (ie. the same place that a hum comes from, or whatever)?