How to Sustain a Scream? (production)

MegaMustaine

Apr 7, 2006
Okay, so I hear it all the time. When a vocalist will scream, and it will be a VERY long scream. somehow, someone takes a chunk of the scream, interweves it, and makes it repeat for an extra long scream.

Lamb of god does this in laid to rest, i listen closely and can tell that he didn't ACTUALLY scream that long. Killswitch Engage does it a bunch for a lot of their high screaming stuff that is really sustained.

I'm wondering how you do this? Any special technique? i'm working on my voice, and I don't know if I can scream extremely evenly for 14 seconds or something.

So, how do I do this?

i would send the vocal part you want to an FX track and then in the fx track do some envelope and there you put a long decay with automation to stop it when you want

that may work

sorry for the english :D

I guess you could do this like looping a sample. Take the most even section where the scream is steady and in pitch (try to get it somewhere at the end of your scream) and loop it. Try to get it where the start and end point match. (in the wave) if there is any "tic" sound try a small crossfade.

Give it a go. I've never tried it with a scream but have done it a million times with a sample when I want sustain.