Punk Vs. Metal

Charubic Murder said:
Brilliant. Punk sucks ass. It's now to the point that your average New found Charlotte are just pretty much the same fucking chords but in different orders.

that would probably be because your average new found charlotte band isn't punk in the first place.

"punk is i believe on an equal par of image whoreness as black metal and cof fans"

how far up your ass did you have to reach to pull out that statement?

"There are no melodies in punk, just 3 power chords played over and over with a cheap squire and a $30 amp"

of course there are melodies, some punk bands even have members who can play *shock and horror* SINGLE NOTES!!!!!!

If the song is good, why does it matter what the hell you play it on, how many chords it has, or how many pentatonicscalefucking solos your wanker lead guitarist feels he needs to play to make him feel better about his tiny dick? Who cares? Good music is good music.

food tastes good said:
geeze none of you guys understand. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT OF PUNK. it's not about musical talent or having expensive equipment. IT'S ABOUT THE SPIRIT. punk is about having fun, letting out your energy and doing it yourself. whether or not that includes musical ability makes no difference. johnny ramone refused to learn anything on guitar except barre chords and look how good the ramones are.

back to the argument, i really can't decide. i like both but i listen to a lot more punk.

Yeaaaaaahhhhh, but..

- Metal has more spirit
- Metal is more fun
- Metal lets out a lot more energy
- Lots of metal bands started out completely raw and independant of just about anything

Also, The Ramones were different because they actually did something with their limits: writing the best songs they could. And they were good songs. Can't say the same about the good majority of punk out there......about it not making a difference whether there's musical ability or not, that's one of the worst things about it.....that's pretty much giving young, aimless, stupid, toy-hobby bands a virtual license to suck, and clog up the local scenes with it.

"- Metal has more spirit
- Metal is more fun
- Metal lets out a lot more energy"

for metalheads, this is true, for punks, this does not apply.

And just as many shitty hobby bands stem from metal as punk.

misfit said:
why i know (hehe) that metal is better, is coz its less boring than punk. punk tends to be very simple music with repetitious lyrics and after listening to it for 2 hrs it all tends to all sound exactly the same.

its all about how the person views it...im not trying to argue but its your opinion and someone else may have a different one....like me i like punk a lot,(the real punk) not pop-punk or hardcore boybands like good charlotte. i like anti-flag, black-flag , propoghandhi, conflict, misfits, blood to blood, sex pistols, and of course the fathers of punk, the ramones
but whether or not it is beter than metal, i dont know, i like both and i dont care which is better, i guess it all depends on my mood, but the best music in my opinion is classical

vic was 'ere said:
Most metalheads these days like newer, more extreme styles of metal such as death and black... musically they are not very complex. Sure they play fast but does that necessarily equal good playing? If you want 'complex' solos, listen to old school metal, as many of these newer bands rely more on downtuning their guitars and having groove in their music rather than complexity.

Death and Morbid Angel are old school. Those bands formed in the 80s. You mean to tell me you don't think Chuck Schuldiner was a great guitarist?

Stoner Sioux said:
Death and Morbid Angel are old school. Those bands formed in the 80s. You mean to tell me you don't think Chuck Schuldiner was a great guitarist?

I'm pretty sure he doesn't know a lot about death metal. When he said ''old school'' I assume he meant ''80's thrash metal bands'' and there are very few old school bands I can recall that have some pretty damn hard solos, Testament and Megadeth (RIP era) come to my mind.

Reactions: Stoner Sioux
Punk is good, metal is best. Bands like Discharge, DK, The Exploited, GBH and Black Flag will always hold a spot near my heart.

Listener, are you like 10 or something? :p

Nofx, punk? :lol:

a lot of good punk bands put a lot of emotion into their songs, and there are a few punk bands i know that actually have pretty violent lyrics...i hate this labelling thing,, and i dont think listenoing to punk music makes you a punk, its your attitude , and its the same with every other genre of music. its all about attitude, not the music...and think here..if you ask what is better metal or punk on a metal forum of course the majority is gonna tell ya metal is better, me i dont care which is better, i listen to whatever i a in the mood to listen to, right now that is techno...

dance_with_death said:
a lot of good punk bands put a lot of emotion into their songs, and there are a few punk bands i know that actually have pretty violent lyrics...i hate this labelling thing,, and i dont think listenoing to punk music makes you a punk, its your attitude , and its the same with every other genre of music. its all about attitude, not the music...and think here..if you ask what is better metal or punk on a metal forum of course the majority is gonna tell ya metal is better, me i dont care which is better, i listen to whatever i a in the mood to listen to, right now that is techno...

Heavy metal like classical music is about the music not the "attitude"

Punk just like rap is about the attitude and not the music.

I only like Hardcore, like newer Exploited or old 59 Times The Pain (RIP) ...but I guess that stuff has already more in common with Thrash Metal than with normal Punk...

But I'd prefer listening to an untalented punk band who write at least not too boring songs than listening to Nu-Crap or Power Metal... (I know most Power Metal bands are absolutely skilled musicians, but I just can't stand that style...have tried to like it for 3 years now...without success) What I absolutely hate are those commercial "punk" bands, some of you mentioned, those who shoot videos and stuff...I would never listen to that.

uhh, i would choose metal over punk any day, i went to a fuckin emo punk concert, their music is boring, it didnt change at all. No solos, only chords, and boring parts, the music needs a bunch of variety to good, punk is boring <period>