Punk Vs. Metal

If metal is so much better, how come some metal bands use drum machines and punk bands never do? Can't the metal drummers play well enough? or they use triggers to make it go faster. that's pretty cheesy if you ask me.

graveflower said:
You are an idiot.

Wow, did you think a lot for that response? :rolleyes:

If metal is so much better, how come some metal bands use drum machines and punk bands never do? Can't the metal drummers play well enough? or they use triggers to make it go faster. that's pretty cheesy if you ask me.

Why do you guys try so hard to prove something that's idiotic? metal it's not better than punk, punk it's not better than metal. It's all matter of opinion, but if you want to know what genre is the ''best'' from a technical aspect, metal is the obvious choice.

graveflower said:
You make a stupid post, you get a stupid reply.

I fail to see how his post was stupid, this statement is the whole truth.

Heavy metal like classical music is about the music not the "attitude"

Punk just like rap is about the attitude and not the music.

Although I don't agree with all of it 100%, I still think it's pretty valid.

nergal_S said:
its is valid.

graveflower.. can you prove it wrong?
Sure I can. What makes you think that "attitude" is necessarily more important to punk than metal? For some punk bands yes, for others no. Same thing with metal. Some metal bands put their ideology before their music just like some punk bands do. An example would be many black metal bands, especially many from the beginning of the second wave. Good examples would be Darkthrone and Graveland. Similarly for many punk bands music doesn't go by the wayside in favor of screaming about anarchy. Lots of punk bands are very technically accomplished (Dillinger Escape Plan). Statements like the one you made are total generalizations and are not at all true in reality. You are either ignorant of a lot of bands in both genres or you're just seeing what you want to see in order to preserve your fragile reasoning why metal is oh so better than punk. If you like metal more that's fine, but don't try to make up bullshit reasons to justify it.

Additionally you talk as if a band's technical prowess is a large determinant for the overall quality of the band. I can't really argue with you about that since it is just an opinion, but I do greatly pity those with that mindset. For me the intangible aspects of music are what truly make it great. The musicians who are remembered with real reverence are the ones who infused heart, emotion, and passion into their music rather than being soulless technical wankers, whether they were punk metal or polka. There's a reason Joy Division will be remembered for years to come while Symphony X will vanish into relative obscurity within ten years. When you judge music by technical aspects you turn it into a science rather than an art, and that's something I can't stand.

I don't really see the point in comparing punk and metal. You're talking apples and oranges here; they're too different.

Metal is my favorite genre, period. I do, however, listen to some punk and music from just about every musical genre there is. Probably about 75% of my cd collection is metal, but I've got my Misfits, Bad Religion, and Ramones in there, too.
You can't really say one is 'better' than another. It's all relative. Just because something may be more technically complex and intricate doesn't necessarily make it better. Much of Jazz is more complex than most metal or anything else out there, but does that make it supreme? Of course not.

In the end, it just comes down to personal preference.

graveflower said:
Sure I can. What makes you think that "attitude" is necessarily more important to punk than metal? For some punk bands yes, for others no. Same thing with metal. Some metal bands put their ideology before their music just like some punk bands do. An example would be many black metal bands, especially many from the beginning of the second wave. Good examples would be Darkthrone and Graveland. Similarly for many punk bands music doesn't go by the wayside in favor of screaming about anarchy. Lots of punk bands are very technically accomplished (Dillinger Escape Plan). Statements like the one you made are total generalizations and are not at all true in reality. You are either ignorant of a lot of bands in both genres or you're just seeing what you want to see in order to preserve your fragile reasoning why metal is oh so better than punk. If you like metal more that's fine, but don't try to make up bullshit reasons to justify it.

Additionally you talk as if a band's technical prowess is a large determinant for the overall quality of the band. I can't really argue with you about that since it is just an opinion, but I do greatly pity those with that mindset. For me the intangible aspects of music are what truly make it great. The musicians who are remembered with real reverence are the ones who infused heart, emotion, and passion into their music rather than being soulless technical wankers, whether they were punk metal or polka. There's a reason Joy Division will be remembered for years to come while Symphony X will vanish into relative obscurity within ten years. When you judge music by technical aspects you turn it into a science rather than an art, and that's something I can't stand.

Man, bands like Dark Throne and Graveland or even Burzum dont have "attitude" they might put there poiltics as a priority in the music (i dont know about dark throne) but the musician ship is still very high.

In punk music there is alot of Image, you need to look like a Punk, and your music has to be sloppy, thats the core of punk right there. Attitude is image.

There is very little "image" in metal, its more about quality music.

Now as far as technical music, its better to have a good technical song that is enjoyabe to listin to rather than a good simple song like a AC DC song.

When music is technicaly advanced that means the artist has more possblities of how to change the mood in the song, or how to make the song more intreasting.

If the song is 3 power chords with a chorus and a lot of catchy hooks, i dont want to listin to it because its boring. Its like having the option of walking in a junk yard or walking in the mountians or sea shore, both are walking but what is more enjoyable?

swizzlenuts said:
i went to a fuckin emo punk concert, their music is boring, it didnt change at all. No solos, only chords, and boring parts, the music needs a bunch of variety to good, punk is boring <period>

emo is a pretty boring genre and is in no way a representation of what punk is.

and yes there are punk bands that are technical but have a really strong spirit. fugazi is a prime example of this.

people thinking of these bubblegum punk bands as all punk is, is really pissing me off. let me put it this way. nu metal is to underground metal as bubblegum punk is to all other punk. so please don't say punk sucks if you're basing your opinion on bands like good charlotte.

nergal_S said:
Man, bands like Dark Throne and Graveland or even Burzum dont have "attitude" they might put there poiltics as a priority in the music (i dont know about dark throne) but the musician ship is still very high.
Are you serious? Are you seriously going to tell me that Graveland or Burzum have musicianship on par with Nomeansno (for example)? Of course those bands have attitude. There's nothing wrong with that. Infusing a part of yourself and your personality into your music is what makes it art.

nergal_S said:
In punk music there is alot of Image, you need to look like a Punk, and your music has to be sloppy, thats the core of punk right there. Attitude is image.
You could replace "punk" with "black metal" in what I just quoted (except the second punk, maybe replace that with "true" or something?) and it'd be equally true.

nergal_S said:
There is very little "image" in metal, its more about quality music.
I could easily name twenty metal bands who have a very recognizable image and put a lot of work into maintaining that image. Probably more than that.

nergal_S said:
Now as far as technical music, its better to have a good technical song that is enjoyabe to listin to rather than a good simple song like a AC DC song.
In the long run it doesn't matter. What matters is if it's good, period. Technical wankery is similar to graphics in a video game or special effects in a movie. The first few times they can really wow you, but you need more than that to give it lasting appeal. At least that's how it is for me. If you like listening to boring passionless musical masturbation over and over and over then that's fine with me.

nergal_S said:
When music is technicaly advanced that means the artist has more possblities of how to change the mood in the song, or how to make the song more intreasting.
This is definitely true, however it doesn't mean that someone with less technical skill can't make music that's just as good.

nergal_S said:
If the song is 3 power chords with a chorus and a lot of catchy hooks, i dont want to listin to it because its boring. Its like having the option of walking in a junk yard or walking in the mountians or sea shore, both are walking but what is more enjoyable?
Neither is inherently more enjoyable than another for me (and I'd imagine it's the same for most people). A good song is a good song regardless of what's put into it. Additionally choruses, catchy hooks and power chords are all used by many, many metal bands. This isn't something that's exclusive to punk. Why is it so hard for you to understand that there are punk bands besides Sum 41 and Good Charlotte? Have you even heard any of the bands I've mentioned in this thread as examples? Like I said, you're either really ignorant about punk or you're just lying to yourself.

most of you are stupid beyong belief, you are only open to one kind of music ..metal, probly so you think you are hardasses , punk is not about image, i have seen punk bands that dress in everyday clothes, suits,and other stuff, it is mostly about their music and gettin their music out their to be heard by people, now most of you here who are fuck-nuts and are saying "oh punk is about image, not attitude, or even that person who said metal is about the music not attitude" that is the stupidest shit i have ever heard, metal like many others is about attitude, you can listen to metal and it doesnt mean you are metal, i dont think that many of you actually think about it. god damn you are proving how much of ballerinas you guys are. they were more hardcore and less bitchy at a punk forum i was at before i came here. shit, most of you need to open yourselves up to a lot more things, quit being pussies,

I think a lot of you are confusing Punk with "punk". Punk is dying from all these idiot fake punk bands.
How the hell did emo kids like good charlotte whining "This is the Anthem We Hate out Parents" become the image of punk? they aren't punk, and the "we hate our parents" thing dies ten fucking years ago. they just whine and don't even play music. how the hell can you say you don't want to be like others when you try to sell 20 million records and have 10 million kids try to look identical to you?
:end rant: