Industrial/Noise

Jan 14, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I know there's already a thread for metal-influenced industrial, but I want this one to focus on all types of industrial (although industrial that does is perfectly acceptable as well). Discussion of noise and its sub-genres, i.e. power electronics and dark ambient, is welcome as well.

Industrial, in all its myriad forms and sub-genres, is far and away my favorite genre besides metal. However, the only (newer) industrial band that I truly go nuts over is Skinny Puppy, especially their later material. Too Dark Park, Last Rights, and The Process are easily the greatest industrial albums ever recorded. Front Line Assembly, :wumpscut:, Leaether Strip, or any of the other more renowned industrial artists don't hold a candle to those albums.

Regarding older industrial, Throbbing Gristle owns you all. The Second Annual Report is a goddamned masterpiece, utterly terrifying and claustrophobically dense.

I'm also a big White House fan: in their prime, they produced some of the most extreme and scathing "music" known to man.

I also advise you all to check out Lustmord, whose early releases, such as Heresy, represent some of the most horriying and hellish music I've ever heard. His more recent work is more ambient (The Place Where the Black Stars Hang), but no less impressive.

One sub-genre I've been particularly partial to is martial industrial, above all In Slaughter Natives, who has been churning out very militant industrial of the highest calibre for nearly two decades.

Pretty sure there's a thread for this too, but whatever. Personally, I'm more into EBM, rather than straight-out industrial...stuff like Icon of Coil, VNV Nation, Assemblage 23, Amduscia, Ayria, and so on. And then I like the more rock/metal-influenced industrial like Hanzel Und Gretyl, KMFDM, Angelspit and The Kovenant.

I'm note familiar enough with electronic music to differentiate the sub-genres.

Peter Gabriel's recent material (mostly from the albums Up and OVO) is really electronic and industrial. Check out the song The Tower That Ate People (the Steve Algae remix).