How do you metal heads dress? Also what other people think of you?

Some common things I overhear others remark about my apearance are neo-nazi, skinhead, facist, and as there is a heavy local hispanic community, diablo negro (black devil). Oh well.

Basically, I shave my head (had 3 foot long hair for 10 years, but I got annoyed with it one day, so chop chop), big shiny New Rocks, military fatigues, commonly wear blackmetal or EBM shirts or the occasional hoodie or sweater and a big ass spiked collar when I feel like distancing myself from everyone.

I don't think I wear such things as much to gain attention, but rather to keep people away from me. I don't like socializing. Plain and simple. I have a small circle of friends and that's all I need.

My roommate is heavily into punk, and dressed the part (complete with an assortment of monster tattoos, patches, peircings, spikey hair, ect...), and whenever we bother to go to a bar it's like a scene from a movie, with everyone turning around and staring in disbelief. I swear if there was a record player in these places you'd hear the needle scratch right off the fucking thing.

oh i forgot, evey1 freaks out when i throw in the occasional white colored black metal shirt(ironic?), they call me satanist, and devil worshippers, and the black kids call me "crazy azz whyte boi", every1 runs away and my girlfriends son of a bitch prick asshole father thinks im some sort of drug loving baby beating child molesting freak son of a bitch basatard b/c im a year older

that was a mouthful lol

Very interesting replies. I really like how this post turned out. The most important thing to me and I will say to all of you is just do you. Wear what you are comfortable with. Weather it is metal or not metal looking if you like it and it makes you happy than do it. If you are trying to impress people and dress a certain way I don't think its worth it. Are you showing the real side of you? You dress how you like and be yourself.

i agree, every1 should just be themselves or else we would all just be carbon copies of each other, dressing to impress should only happen for one reason, a job interview, while i admit i like to wear band shirts that are rare to make myself stand out even better in the metal scene it makes me feel better and thats all that should matter right? what you as a person feel when you wear clothes whatever they may be

I don't think I get those evil looks, I think people just laugh at me, I mean picture this:

A 6'3 guy skating towards you in a sweat soaked bright yellow t shirt, wearing ripped up, taped up jeans with patches of blood on them, smelly old shitty looking shoes and a piss old bandana or some hat, with dark hair creeping past his shoulders, lots of facial hair and a face that is very well hidden from your view. :)

Actually I guess I don't look too goofy, here is a picture of me after a fresh shave, circa earlier this summer.

Me_With_Bandana.jpg

I wear the same thing everyday (Different clothes, but the same style)

Black shirt
Black wifebeater underneath
Black underwear
Black dickies or jeans
Black shoes
Wool socks

Yep...

im like the typical metal head. long hair, band shirts, my comfy black polyesther pants, black and red DC skate shoes.

today its a dissection shirt and my comfy pants heheh

people prolly see me and dont want to get near me, and thats just fine with me, they're morons anyways. i just support the bands i like and if thats too much for people then they arent worth my time. and anyone who actually knows me knows that i am such a softy. definatly not a hard ass evil and violent metalhead like people stereotype. but like i said, people are idiots
~gR~

anything in my closet that fits. But it's just been metal shirts that fit, and a few regular longsleeves. I don't wear any jewellery and I wear black pants or regular jeans. I used to skate and can't seem to buy any other shoes apart from Globes.

Well Needled- I also wear comfortable clothes when im not out.

There is a lot of pressure in society to look a certain way-which i think is horrible- yet I admit I do cave in to it- not totally- I dress much differently from most of the people I know. WIth all these reality shows and magazines all about ones exterior, it is hard to get away from it especialy for women. I think Thomas Jefferson said something like in thought go against the current, in dress and style swim with it.

The only pressure I ever felt to dress a certain way was from my mom bitchin about my hair, otherwise I've never experienced this "pressure to have a certain exterior" or some such. o_O

speed said:
Well Needled- I also wear comfortable clothes when im not out.

There is a lot of pressure in society to look a certain way-which i think is horrible-
Disagree.. I live in a fairly poppish-white-middle-class-mainstream society and nobody gives a fuck here about what you wear.

Well, you know, as long as it's clean and moderately decent :). A lot of rebelious gothic-type people here dress in very worn-out, usually dirty clothes (if you can call them that), rarely shower, pierce themselves all over, etc.. If that's their way of self-expressing - more power to them. I don't have an actual style - but that certainly ain't it :).

Dress in comfortable shit - there's nothing simpler than that.. I noticed a lot of "reverse-pressure" - people tried to look like real metalheads by growing long hear, mutilating themselves with piercing, walking it certain type of clothes just to feel like a "true" metalhead and be accepted by his metal peers... And that's not what metal is about, in my opinion. I could be wrong..

heh, I don't wear metal garments to fit in or be accepted....it's just so other metalheads may recognise me. there's few enough of us in society, so it's good when you see someone wearing a band-t walking around. even if you don't talk to them or anything, it's just good seeing it. =)

Yeah that is a good point, like when I went to the skatepark I had ont hat Iced Earth T and someone said hey my friend was talkin about them, think I should get an album from them? Next week when I went he was tellin me how crazy he was over Stormrider, the album I had him purchase. :D

I usually wear jeans or warm-ups with a long sleeve or a short sleeve t-shirt when it's cool and shorts with a t-shirt when its warm. I don't have any band t-shirts unfortunately, so most of my t-shirts bare simple Nike and Old Navy logos.

Right now I'm sitting in my boxers, but that's only because it's summer vacation and I just woke up.

You know shell shock, I think you are right- now that I think about it. Most Americans wear whatever shit they can find- and really dont give a fuck if they are in a nice restraunt or a Mcdonalds.

Yet, in our generation- if one goes out at night- one has to look a certian way- or at least the group they are with does.

I know some people that have bought a Darkthrone t-shirt just to look cool and because the shirt looks cool, allthough they really don't like the music. They just like the look they have. And that shit annoys!! really much!

This guy I know have as long as I can remember always been a fashion victim, but then all of a sudden he started wearing metal shirts and listening to metal. Off course the more known bands like Katatonia, Opeth and so on... but still I thought something was wrong cause this guy is a dick. And I found out the reason he so suddenly changed was because of a girl he liked listend to those bands. And that again annoys!!! really much!!

I dont really care what I wear. A tshirt, I've got one or two metal ones, but whatever is clean. I wear shorts alot at the moment, because its so hot. All my shorts cost £2.99 and they are great! More money on music I guess.