How do you metal heads dress? Also what other people think of you?

Welp, almost all of my day to day wardrobe consists of long and short sleeve metal T-shirts and others of the like. However, that's not all I wear. You can't wear the same things every single day and expect to adapt to every single situation. This is my point:

Yesterday a friend and I were shopping for clothes, and since she's a very stylish girl, I usually bounce ideas off of her. Being in Italy where style is paramount, it's not hard to find a Versace or Gucci or Armani store. However, we originally just went to Pordenone to buy some cds and get a bite to eat, therefore, I had on a Megadeth t-shirt and some khaki shorts and sandals. She wanted to go into Armani, as did I, and buy a pair or two of their nice jeans or slacks and maybe a few long sleeve shirts. Then I realized how I was dressed; like a plain, simple street urchin American who lived in Italy. I decided to not go inside and shop and wait for another day so I could be more presentable. The reason for this is that you can't go around looking a certain way and expect everyone to treat you the same. You don't have to conform, you just have to adapt. Clothes don't make the person; the person makes the person. However, most people don't see it that way, especially the type of people who work in Versace or Armani. So, you must adapt, and present yourself in a less extreme and more stylish way. I don't have to go in with a double-breasted suit on, but a nicer shirt would have been a better start, rather than a black t shirt with a demon on the front suspended by chains that says MEGADETH on both sides. I wear metal t-shirts over here because there are TONS AND TONS of people in Italy and all over Europe who LOVE metal, and not a day goes by that I don't see at least three people with either an Emperor, Hammerfall, or Deicide shirt on over here. It's much more prevalent, and when they find out I'm American, they are very surprised because they really do think that black and death metal isn't very big in America, although it's huge. Not as big as it is in Europe, because it's basically mainstream here, but it's still big. I've made many friends and gotten to know many people based on the way I present myself here. If I go to a bar or a concert, of course I'm going to wear it. People come up to me and ask me about the bands, what bands I like, etc. and it's a really good experience. It's kinda like me saying, "Hey, I'm American, and we all aren't mindless sheep who follow MTV. I like the same music you do." I want to spread the word that Americans really are more in touch with the rest of the world than the rest of the world thinks.

However, certain situations call for certain clothes. Even though I'm not into religion or anything, I would not go into a church wearing an Emperor t-shirt. Not because I have some personal belief, but because I would be imposing upon other people's ideals and religions. I don't want to sway anyone to any side of any religion, but I must respect them as people. I don't like people pushing their religion down my throat when I go to concerts, so I'm not going to throw a bunch of satanic imagery at people minding their own business if they are X-ians.

Also, if I were to go to a nice restaurant, I wouldn't wear my "God's Busy...Can I Help You?" with the devil head T-shirt. We all must be socially conscious people and realize that you don't have to look a certain part to be a certain person. I wear the shirts and clothes I normally wear because I think I look good in them, and usually I'm either at a pub, a concert, or playing with my band. The other times I'm at work in the USAF, so my options are pretty much limited to what I can wear with those guys...besides camouflage and jump boots.

I usually wear jeans because jeans can be good for any occasion if worn with the right attire. I usually dislike slacks because of the way they fit, but I wear them in nicer settings. I do not mind going to formal occasions in tuxedos, such as the operas we have here, or a formal dinner. Being in the military, we have many, many formal dining occasions, and we have to wear our mess dress blues, which is basically a military tuxedo.

Boots, sandals, or nice shoes are usually what I wear on my feet. Tennis shoes only if I'm doing something very active like lifting or just farting around.

My girlfriend is very successful, comes from a wealthy Italian family here, has a master's in psychology, and is very in with the posh crowd around Milan. She is very cultured and refined, and could fit in almost anywhere. If there were an A-list, she would be on it. But she doesn't like those things. Do you know where I met her? In the fucking pit at Gods of Metal, while we were screaming for Hypocrisy to play Roswell 47. She looks over at me and says, "When they start pushing, just push against me!!!!!" Soilwork, Carpathian Forest, Nile, Hypocrisy, and many other bands were there as well. The point is, she could probably live the high life if she wanted, but it's not what she wants. She loves metal, extreme metal, all her friends love metal or play in metal bands, and she has completely turned her back on her priveleged roots. This is someone who truly doesn't care about society and is going to do what she wants to do, no matter who or what stands in her way. THAT is the epitome of total and complete integrity.

To keep this short.. I generally wear a band t-shirt. Whatever I have clean usually. I don't buy shirts just because they're overly offensive or whatnot. Other than that, I generally wear military issue fatigues. I have about three of each colour (khaki, olive drab, black, woodland, urban, etc). I have a pair of military issue combat boots as well that I wear. That's the usual wardrobe for me.

speed said:
Ok needled I will come out and say it- I dont like Metal shirts- I dont like their comic book style prints, or the over the top gore. I dont like the names of the cities of the tour on the back- I do not want to be a billboard. I dont really need to be indentified by all the public as part of a metal loving group. Most of all I dont want to pay 25- 30 dollars for a fucking t shirt- when I could buy a far better item of clothing like say a decent pair of jeans. The whole metal shirt thing seems so played out to me- and I really dont see how it has any effect on how much of a metal fan I am- other than I refuse to pay bands exorbient prices for shitty looking shirts. These are the reasons, I wouldnt be caught dead in a metal shirt.

It's interesting that the bands' music appeals to you, but their t-shirt designs don't. Obviously, it doesn't make you less of a fan, and you can wear what you like, but I still find it interesting. I've always loved the style of t-shirts which metal bands seem to put out.

thrashmetal78 said:
You don't have to conform, you just have to adapt.

excellent post d00d, but......hmmm, adapting to society is conforming. Nothing WRONG with conforming, but as concerns society, there's no such thing as adapting without conforming, because society in the developed world really isn't a 'challenge' to live in; we don't have to adapt to it because most of us are born within its functions.

I'm a skater so I probably dress like everyone most metalheads hate lol!
I love it when I'm drunk and start talking to some BM poseur and put them straight about metal extreme music, the look on their faces is classic, they can't equate the way I dress with what I listen to, and know about metal!!

I'm pretty muck like the first guy who started the thread, except I never near shorts, and I'll occasionally toss in a collared shirt or buttoned shirt to look more professional if the situation calls. I'm also a big fanof khakis over jeans. I toss in hats every once in a while. Baseball cap, visor, rasta cap, jester hat, cowboy hat, sombrero. I'm serious. I like to mix it up, but i've got metal tees. I really hate that armband/spike bracelet shit, though.

Generally, I wear a band tee shirt (black) or plain black tee shirt.

I prefer to wear black cargo shorts (knee-length), but in colder months, I wear long black jeans. I wear whatever black shoes I can get for cheap that look decent.

I used to have long hair, but I recently went to get it trimmed, and the fucking butcher went haywire so now it is only of a moderate length.

Head:
Earring on the left ear.

Mid body:
Usually a band t-shirt.

Lower body:
Sometimes I wear cargo shorts (this is usually when its warm/hot). Other times I wear long jeans. Socks/old shoes. And usually a belt.

I guess I'm just a simple guy.

yeah Guardian I am one of those guys that could give a fuck about T-Shirts- and the cover art and packaging of metal cds, or the dress of the band. Just the music.

I wear a metal t-shirt, and blue or black Jeans, Black shirt over it with a patch, black skate shoes, silver pendants, glasses when I have to, Chain w/ keys, sometimes bracelets, no belt...

Not always but this is most of the time it's this way.

Some other rare stuff would be pants of other colours and some shirts, can't think of other things right now.

Reactions I have gotten are happy looks, \m/ sign, people asking me stuff about music, no real bad idiotic things.

Some weird things I've gotten are,
"Are you into satanism?",
"I've heard that metal is just noise",
"Why do you listen to that?",
"I don't like it because I can't understand what they're saying".
But most of the time they're not fully serious.
Most people don't really care, and some think it's cool.

It's the way I like to dress and I don't really give a fuck what 'the other' people think, it's what I like.

TheGraveDigger said:
How do all of you present yourself when going out and what do other people think of you? Do you have a hard time finding females? If you are a female do you have a hard time finding guys? Post all about it here, if you have any stories even better.

I wear a braclet with pyramid studs and a chain, a band shirt, necklaces, and pants. I wear a band shirt everyday. I usually wear all black. Do I have a hard time finding females yes, because i'm shy. For a while I thought about suicide and then I finally found a girl last week that is just like me. She's into Switchblade Symphony, Cradle of Filth, Morbid Angel, and even Cannibal Corpse. What do other people think of me. My school is almost all preps so they think that i'm a freak for listening to Marilyn Manson. They don't talk to me, but I don't want them to, because I want to talk to the hardcore, punk, and metal kids.

To Thrashmetal American guy from Italy: Well, man, nice post - yes, and I agree with every single word.. And yet - a lot of people that "don't want to conform" rarely have a chance to. They rarely have a chance to be amongst "poshy" (nice word :)) crowd deliberately, go to some trendy Italian clothing shop, go to a nice restaurant, etc. :). Most of the people like that around here have their own crowd and have their own friends - not to say that they're isolated from the mainstream society - but if they are, it's definitely more of THEIR decision rather than the society's - the society doesn't give a shit, to put it blunt.

And, yes, if some of these people EVER, by ANY chance, got an opportunity to, say, take a chick to a prom - of course they wouldn't show up in their battered black jeans and five pound dog chains around them :). But the fact remains the fact - the people that take all this "metal" thing far too seriously to have a certain dresscode and way of life rarely go to proms. This is from my personal experience..

And some people that do dress like metalheads don't always take it that seriously, either.. So it all depends. :).

I usually wear black or blue jeans with a t-shirt(don't have a lot of band t's) or one of my Emperor longsleeves, and a black leather jacket(a fairly straight one, no chains or studs or anything), and cut my hair short(just short of a skinhead, I'm no nazi at all).

I usually wear Dickees with a black band T-shirt ie.(Inflames). And I like to slick back my hair and wear a Bandana across my forehead. I sometimes wear my Ray Ban aviators (nice as hell, worth 500) I always wear beaters as well. I love to wear bracelets, neclases, and any sort of jewlery, it just makes me look cooler. The whole point of my dressing is Unique, layed back, and intensly cool. I seem to get alot of girls, and lots of girls say hi to me. People usually comment on how cool I look. So yah, its all about ultimate coolness for me. You gotta look cool if your the lead guitar player in a band.

Since I am a "professional" I wear slacks & some kind of dress shirt. I look like an average guy. Not clean cut. Just average. During the time off? Shorts for the summer, a band/concert t-shirt or some kind of Atlanta Falcons something Jearsey, ect. And possibly a ATL Baseball cap. I have no style & I don't think you "Have to" look a certain way to be "into a certain kind of music." I mean at shows I probably stick out like a "white guy" at a rap show but so what?!

I don't really dress like a metalhead much anymore.
I have naturally curly hair, which I straighten alot now. Make-up wise, little eyeliner. Make-up's never been my thing.
I'm pretty small and slim.. so I rarely find band t-shirts that fit.. Skinnys fit me but not many bands I like have them, but I still have a few. I'm more likely to be found wearing a plain black t-shirt/non-sleeved top.
Trousers wise.. whatever's comfy. Black combats/jeans/cords.
Shoes.. I'm getting new one's in a few days. I don't think I'd look right wearing New Rocks, and theyre bloody expensive too :/ So I'm looking for Black Converse's/Vans.
I always wear black. I'm so picky with clothes though.
Guys.. when I first started dressing more how I wanted, I got remarks from my Family, Friends, people at school etc. And I still do. But I'm happier dressing how I want to and what I feel most comfortable in. Not alot of guy's say 'Hi' to me or anything along them lines, but I've made friends with alot of guy's now who are into metal so I feel more accepted in that sense. Though I still think theres a little barrier stopping me/any guy from getting with me because of the way I dress/the music I listen to. But hey, I'm willing to wait :p

eternalhours said:
I'm pretty small and slim.. so I rarely find band t-shirts that fit..

Yeah, same here, but that doesn't stop me from wearing my Hypocrisy or Cryptopsy shirts, or anything. :cool:

I don't dress very 'metal' either. When I'm not in a band shirt, I'll be wearing flared hip-hugger jeans and a small plain-colored top.
So, I basically look like a 15 year old teeny bopper at first glance (I'm actually 21). Sounds lame, but the outfits look good on me, which is my main concern.