Do you think you will ever stop listening to Metal?

Crump

New Metal Member
Dec 29, 2011
Hello everyone, I've been lurking this forum for quite a while, and as such I've got a fair few bands that I would of never heard of before, so thank you for that.

My question is though, do you think when you get older, you will stop primarily listen to metal and start calming things down altogether? This includes no more metal and listening to stuff like Prog Rock, Blues, Hip-Hop, Pop, whatever.

Personally, I hope I never grow out of metal, as it means alot to me, but I use to be big on Hip-Hop (Underground) and I grew out of that.

TL;DR; Will you ever stop listening to Metal and listen to calmer things?

I still listen to Metal, but my tastes have been leaning towards the more chill stuff lately. I never fully leave a genre of music, but I do eventually listen to it less frequently.

It doesn't bother me that my interest in Metal is on a decline. For about five years, most of the new music I looked for was Metal, and now it's about ten percent. I want to listen to whatever gives me any kind of pleasure, regardless of genre.

i might change my main genres but i doubt i will ever stop listening to metal. though i have a feeling i will always have a soft spot for death metal even if i start listening to it less.

Maybe actually. I tend to be very unproductive and think about destructive things when I'm listening to metal. I can't exactly see it happening but I may change at some point in my life.

I've been going since the early 90's...

If anything, the music I've been listening to has gotten heavier as I've aged.

I listen to other styles of music as well and i always have.

I've always liked metal, even when I was 12 and it was just metallica and rob zombie. When I was 16 or 17ish I found death metal and doom metal... I'm 23 now and I've never been as immersed in anything so I cant say I'll turn away from it.

I am 44. Been listening to metal for about 30 years. I can't ever see myself changing. But then, I just love metal music. I am no longer attracted to it as a lifestyle or a subculture. It is just the music. My taste got heavier and heavier and metal got heavier, and at some point my taste evened out to enjoying the whole range equally. I like other stuff too, but I would say my musical diet is still 95% metal. I suppose the only thing that would change it is if I am so old that my ears/brain can't process fast enough to appreciate faster stuff. I guess then I will be limited to DOOM, but that's ok.

No not really. I do see myself developing deeper tastes for other genres in the future though. Which is definitely a good thing but I think metal will always be my main focus in music. Not by choice but mostly by nature I think, as I get older I find myself being able to appreciate certain things in the genre that I couldn't before. I have no reason to give up on it really, it still holds my interest because it's constantly changing and evolving.

I'm 34 and won't ever stop listening to it although I find as I get older that it's harder to find albums that blow me away like they used to.I think that even if I find one or two great albums a year then i'll be happy.

Time will come when i'll gradually listen to metal less than now and seek for genres that are more calm. But i'm sure i'll still revisit the stuff i used to listen that blew my mind at that time.

I haven't stopped listening to metal but I've grown out of the "lifestyle" of it, long hair, band tee's etc. you wouldn't really expect me to listen to metal if you met me now. I'm a musician working on my jazz performance degree and I enjoy jazz and classical/opera just as much as metal. I also love some rap/hip hop pop, blues etc. I'm grateful for my extensive musical tastes and I doubt I'll get out of metal, it's such an incredible genre that is changing all the time, and there's so many facets to it that there will be always something that intrigues me. Also, the first music that really got me going was metal and rock, which spurred me to pick up the guitar, the rest is history from there.

I find this song funny. As if you can grow out of metal and into this. Seems more like reverting, into a stupid baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find this song funny. As if you can grow out of metal and into this. Seems more like reverting, into a stupid baby.

Or you know, just changing in musical preference without any reflection to their maturity or intelligence.