Do you think you will ever stop listening to Metal?

Or you know, just changing in musical preference without any reflection to their maturity or intelligence.

Do you really believe that? Good metal is the type of music you can concetrate wholly on and enjoy almost forever, while you'll get tired of this song after a couple of plays at most. You can differentiate advanced music from less advanced music just like you can tell the difference between a childrens book and a book for adults.

I'm not saying that it's more intelligent to listen to one type of music, but I do mean that listening to My Morning Jacket, as opposed to metal, indicates that you're less interested in music overall.

Do you really believe that? Good metal is the type of music you can concetrate wholly on and enjoy almost forever, while you'll get tired of this song after a couple of plays at most. You can differentiate advanced music from less advanced music just like you can tell the difference between a childrens book and a book for adults.

I'm not saying that it's more intelligent to listen to one type of music, but I do mean that listening to My Morning Jacket, as opposed to metal, indicates that you're less interested in music overall.

Do you think all metal is that way, or at least, should aspire to be? Is a person that prefers Hell Bent for Leather to Unquestionable Presence inherently less interested in music?

EDIT: Just listened to that song, and I fail to see how it is any less "advanced" than Bathory's S/T.

It could also mean that one likes My Morning Jacket more than they like Metal.

There's a lot of music that people here would consider simple, contrived, shallow, etc. that I'd rather listen to than bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. Music is one of my primary and interests and I'm finding new music pretty much all the time. Me not sharing another person's preferences doesn't say anything about how interested I am in music compared to them.

Do you think all metal is that way, or at least, should aspire to be? Is a person that prefers Hell Bent for Leather to Unquestionable Presence inherently less interested in music?

EDIT: Just listened to that song, and I fail to see how it is any less "advanced" than Bathory's S/T.

I find it ironic how some elitist metalheads cite complexity as a reason that Metal is "better" than other music, yet know almost nothing about Jazz.

I generally see that in all of the circles of music I enjoy, classical, jazz and metal especially. I am eternally grateful that I can be listening to Exhumed then to Bartok then to Steve Lehman without a hitch

I will say that I think a lot of people who listen to metal, aside from the derpy black metal elitists, are usually more open to other genres in some form or another

I go in and out of genres all the time, but metal is always kind of there for me. Right now I'm on a big underground hip-hop kick (Sage Francis, Aesop Rock, Atmosphere), but I still love the heavy stuff.

Technical music ≠ advanced music. But yeah, if you only like party anthems like Breaking the Law or Rock Forever, your interest is probably more fleeting than if you also like Unquestionable Presence. However Judas Priest also has albums that are a lot more emotional and structurally intricate, and the same goes for Bathory. If Judas Priest only had albums like Hell Bent for Leather and Bathory only had ones like their s/t, they'd be two fun bands but not much more, since the replay value would decrease immensely. People who are into Judas Priest or Bathory tend to mix those albums up with stuff like Sad Wings of Destiny or UtSotBM.

I find it ironic how some elitist metalheads cite complexity as a reason that Metal is "better" than other music, yet know almost nothing about Jazz.

I never attacked jazz. Even though I don't listen to it, it's clear that it's a type of music that people generally put emotion, thought and effort into, just like metal, and so I think it certainly deserves a lot of respect.

Still, what you see as more "advanced" may not seem the same way to others. Some people may get tired of what you consider to be timeless music while you get tired of what they consider to be timeless. It doesn't make either of you wrong. It just means you have different preferences.

Technical music ≠ advanced music. But yeah, if you only like party anthems like Breaking the Law or Rock Forever, your interest is probably more fleeting than if you also like Unquestionable Presence. However Judas Priest also has albums that are a lot more emotional and structurally intricate, and the same goes for Bathory. If Judas Priest only had albums like Hell Bent for Leather and Bathory only had ones like their s/t, they'd be two fun bands but not much more, since the replay value would decrease immensely. People who are into Judas Priest or Bathory tend to mix those albums up with stuff like Sad Wings of Destiny or UtSotBM.

I never attacked jazz. Even though I don't listen to it, it's clear that it's a type of music that people generally put emotion, thought and effort into, just like metal, and so I think it certainly deserves a lot of respect.

I'm curious what fantastic instrument you are using to measure the emotionalness of music. I would like to purchase one.

It gets tough for people to realize that musical quality is relative to the listener, I guess.

Always been listening to metal, why would I ever stop? Its the form of music that gives something back to me.

Well naturally I cant say for sure, but I highly doubt it. Metal is simply to diverse to just burn out on it. I have everything from Korpiklaani to Silentium, from Opeth to Thulcandra, from Alestorm to Isole, from Waldgeflüster to The 3rd and the Mortal, from Obscura to Lethian Dreams etc...
Nomatter what my mood is, I can always find great metal music that fits what I feel at the time.

^ So you basically love every shitty band that one can think of.

EDIT: BTW I would love to stop listening to metal because it’s kinda gay, but I'm just into it too much. (And it's not the only gay thing I like).

I don't get to listen to metal as much since having kids, and my tastes fluctuate between various subgenres, but I don't expect to ever be able to digest any commercially popular music again without general revulsion.