Anyone else, enjoying the non-metal parts more than the metal parts?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
I was having this discussion yesterday with a friend of mine. He mentioned that he looks forward to, and enjoys hearing metal bands incorporating non metal influences etc. into their music, more than he does any metal influence. I hadnt really thought about it, but upon reflection, I too have been enjoying and searching for bands that mix in non metal influences; in fact the non metal moments are more important now than any solo, or riff.

So, does anyone else find themselves in the same situation? I think this is a matter of maturity for me- ive heard about all the metal one possibly can- and I cant remember the last time I got excitied by a band that played straight metal- well I can- Testaments the Gathering, but thats all i can think of. Still, I just dont know whats left to do in metal, its all been done.

By posting this, I am not saying I am in anyway going to stop listening to or loving metal- just that I am freely admiting, that metal is about out of ideas- if someone can challenge this notion, please do.

This is exactly how I feel. I tend to watch for metalbands that incorporate music from other genres, the weirder the better. However, I've tried listening to those genres outside of metal and that didn't work. I kepts pining for a metal riff or a solo to hit me. Metal is like potatoes, it mix with everything.
Looking back over my CD-collection I can't say that I have many "pure metal" albums in there. Though almost every album fits the genre.

I recomend Hollenthon and Die Apokalyptischen Reiter as bands that includes alot of genres in their music.

Fuck maturity, metal is what I listen to, and metal is what I like.

Bands who dilute their sound with outside influences which don't belong there do not have a place in my collection. The new game in many scenes seems to be "lets throw as many random genres into our songs to make up for our lack of ideas, and then call it evolution." Well thanks but no thanks.

Necro Joe said:
Fuck maturity, metal is what I listen to, and metal is what I like.

Bands who dilute their sound with outside influences which don't belong there do not have a place in my collection.

In other words: No evolution please, I prefer stagnation. *waves bone club in the air*

My current favourite bands within the metal scene are Destroyer 666, Isis, The Chasm, Argoslent, Katatonia, Omnium Gatherum and Grand Belials key. Do any of these bands need to use pointless non-metallic influences? No, because they can all either expand on existing ideas of come up with new ones of their own.

My current favourite bands within the metal scene are Destroyer 666, Isis, The Chasm, Argoslent, Katatonia, Omnium Gatherum and Grand Belials key. Do any of these bands need to use pointless non-metallic influences? No, because they can all either expand on existing ideas of come up with new ones of their own.

Actually, while I haven't heard the other bands extensively enough to comment, Destroyer 666 does incorporate some foreign influences in their music(sounds middle-eastern), particularly in the album, "Phoenix Rising." And no, it doesn't ruin the "pure metal" feel of it. In fact, one of the reasons I love the metal genre so much is because of the vast variety of "different-sounding" bands out there...

They may include influences from some other forms of music but it isn't pushed to the fore to distract from the lack of metal on display. Almost all bands toy with sounds which are not native to metal or it would all sound the same, but this is a world away from trying to incorperate some other genre into the style.

For example Iron maiden used synths on some albums though you would hardly call them classic/electronic metal. But bands who set out to bring in other genres to change their sound in a pitiful attempt to "evlove" are essentially worthless.

Before I mentioned exceptions and at present I can think of: Opeth, Scyclad, Mastodon, Neurosis and Aborym who all use other genres tastefully, but as I said they are exceptions.

Listen to:

Vitamin by Incubus

Communion and the Oracle by Symphony X

Rattamahatta by Sepultura

Can't Lose You by Type O Negative

Moonshield by In Flames

All those songs prove how well metal mixes with other styles.

The following are shitty mallcore:
Vitamin by Incubus
Rattamahatta by Sepultura

The others are really, really uninteresting, but they aren't the kind of genre mutilation I was reffering to.

I think you're very insecure.

And they are neither shitty nor 'mallcore'.

I was just offering some suggestions, because those songs, although maybe not interesting to you, do incorporate other styles of music quite successfully.

For some serious music that is great try "The Mantle" by Agalloch

The non-metal parts of this album are just as good and some are even better than the metal parts. One song in particular called "The Hawthorne Passage" is a long instrumental that is very cool, they have a great mix of Prog Rock and Black Metal.

I enjoy the mix of metal and non-metal elements and enjoy them seperately.

Listening to Opeth actually introduced me to some more classic prog rock bands

anonymousnick2001 said:
I think you're very insecure.

And they are neither shitty nor 'mallcore'.

I was just offering some suggestions, because those songs, although maybe not interesting to you, do incorporate other styles of music quite successfully.
Awww and just when we were getting along so well you go and spring the single most generic insult ever used in web board history. Telling someone they are insecure because they have different tastes in music pretty much amounts to having nothing AT ALL else to say.

And yes Incubus and Roots era Sepultura are 100% mallcore, buy Beneath the Remains and you'll see my point.

Sorry...

I just think calling popular music fubucore or whatever is a very generalized elitist statement.

I think Arise is a better album overall, although I like Beneath The Remains better.

My fave is actually Chaos A.D. I don't listen to Roots a lot, because I find much of it boring. Ratamahatta is an amazing exception.

Mallcore is just a less pleasent way of saying Nu-metal.

And I also prefer Arise to Beneath... but it shows them at their brutal best, Chaos AD has some good tracks but overall the earlier ones are better.

I think the term nu-metal should be abolished, as it is largely a negative media term, and I happen to like a lot of the bands it pigeonholes.

Calling the genre alt-metal takes away a lot of the stigma associated with it. And I like stuff like Godsmack, Sevendust, System Of A Down, Incubus, Puya...etc.

Do you have Schizophrenia?

Nu metal is not something I enjoy at all, I like Tool but that is my limit. Bouncy "Jump da fuck up" style stuff is not something I want associated with real metal, so a term is needed to devide them. Alt-metal is (I think) already used in some styles.

I just don't see why Jump da fuck up stuff isn't 'real' metal. A lot of it is heavy enough. Some of it has double bass. Some of it has solos.