How outside genres influence metal.

mutantllama

Nov 24, 2005
Maine
Ok, so I was reading the metal that has influences from blues, and it then clicked inside my head. Almost every band from every genre has influences from a non metal genre. The only genre I can think of that doesn't have much of an outside of metal influence is Old school death metal. It seem to have the least non metal influences. Even then they still do. Because of obvious indirect influence.

I figured the two most non metal influences, and music in metal is

Classical
The Blues
Punk
Rock
Jazz
Folk

Of coarse, sometimes the influence can be less then others. Like Atheist has an obvious Jazz influence in their music. While, others have little non metal influence.

Now, I understand how some people can listen to nothing but metal. Because metal can almost be like the all in the one package. Even though of coarse it can be silly for that reason.

A lot of black metal bands show influences from ambient music, with Burzum being a particularly notable example. Varg Vikernes listened to a lot of German electronic music, which seems to have had a pretty apparently influence on his musical direction. "Burzum" (or maybe "Dunkelheit") has a keyboard part that has been compared to "Radioactivity" by Kraftwerk, which is a band that Varg could easily have been familiar with.

Grindcore, while arguably not wholly metal, is basically a hybrid of the early industrial sound of bands like Swans and SPK (grind) with early extreme metal and hardcore (core), with the word "grindcore" being coined by the members of Napalm Death and talked about in interviews as having originated to reference this mesh of different musical influences.