differences between U.S. and European metal

I think symphonic influences are a big difference between US and European metal. I mean, from Europe you have Therion, Hollenthon, Obsidian Gate, Dimmu Borgir, Borknagar, Bal-Salgoth, Rhapsody, Turisas, I could go on...

At least America has Vesperian Sorrow.

Symphonic touches seem to be a big difference between the two cultures.

Well, generally when you want to convince people of something, actually knowing what you're talking about is a good starting point.

For example, saying KoЯn started angry, rage-filled metal that would eventually become popular in the United States is basically denying that thrash metal and other fast, aggressive music didn't exist there in the 1980's and still continue to influence metal in the US today.

Korn started the jump-da-fuck-up mainstream bullshit that people seem to think define US metal. I figured most here would have caught that.

I'll spell it out for you next time.

We'll just say Ulver "artistically developed" for your sake. :lol:

I think J. is right about Korn starting that whole jump da fuck up shit. I believe their first album came out in 1994, quite a while before that trend actually took off. So I think they were the first of that breed, and perhaps had a big influence.

We'll just say Ulver "artistically developed" for your sake. :lol:

That's okay. Last time I checked, making music that can't be considered commercial doesn't constitute selling out, so you can have incorrect opinions if you want to. It's not like you being wrong will keep me from listening to something that I like.

Korn started the jump-da-fuck-up mainstream bullshit that people seem to think define US metal.

Next time type that instead of saying "rage" and people might not think you meant "rage" in your post, since that's not a descriptive word that can be applied to that stupid jumpdafuckup crap.

DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :lol:

Way to put Europe as a whole and ignore Canada from North America. A+
I am a Canadophile in general but have found that Canadian metal on the whole is either very derivative or very plastic sounding and lifeless. I did discover this good band from Quebec called Forteresse. Atmospheric black metal structure with good lead guitar melodies.

I am a Canadophile in general but have found that Canadian metal on the whole is either very derivative or very plastic sounding and lifeless. I did discover this good band from Quebec called Forteresse. Atmospheric black metal structure with good lead guitar melodies.

WAR! CULT!! SUPREMACY!!!

(I couldn't possibly quote any lyrics, so I settled for the album name....)

CANADIAN METAL BANDS THAT RULE: Gorguts, Sorcier des Glaces, Frozen Shadows.

Those are the only bands that come to my mind right now but I'm sure there are more. There's plenty of good CANADIAN METAL.

I'm not saying that American music has NEVER succeeded as an artistic expression, I'm saying that for the most part, it hasn't. There are exceptions of course, but in terms of our current climate I feel that a huge majority of American music that I know of is failing quite terribly.

Wow, can't say I agree with you there. As far as Classic Rock goes, it's close to even on the issue of "importance." Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix are as important as The Beatles and Led Zeppelin. The US headed thrash metal, grunge, glam metal, jamband, jazz, blues, rap, rock n roll, as well as important roles in folk, country, punk... I'd say that goes FAR beyond any idea of exceptions. Just because you don't happen to enjoy most US music doesn't mean that it has 'failed as an artistic expression for the most part.' The current climate is anyone's guess, I suppose, but I'd go with whoever said that "importance" is an issue of hindsight and the future my look more kindly on the US's current contributions to music. But maybe it all sucks, who knows, the least we can say is that the US certainly has made some vast contributions to music in the past.

CANADIAN METAL BANDS THAT RULE: Gorguts, Sorcier des Glaces, Frozen Shadows.

Those are the only bands that come to my mind right now but I'm sure there are more. There's plenty of good CANADIAN METAL.

Sacrifice, slaughter, blasphemy, conqueror, megiddo, gorguts, revenge..

I think J. is right about Korn starting that whole jump da fuck up shit. I believe their first album came out in 1994, quite a while before that trend actually took off. So I think they were the first of that breed, and perhaps had a big influence.

Anthrax mixing it up with Public Enemy is what started it all, actually. Korn was the first band to do it consistently, though.