European Metal vs. American Metal

Do you think European Or American Metal is better?

• American Metal

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • European Metal

Votes: 39 79.6%

• Total voters

NocturnalNemesis

New Metal Member
Aug 10, 2010
American and European Metal both have their own unique histories and styles and flavors, and they're both undoubtedly rich in their own kind of way, so the question here is which do you prefer more, American or European Metal, and why?

Personally I'd say European Metal. While there are the some great metal bands from America such as Killswitch Engage and early Slipknot, S.O.A.D., the list of really incredible European metal bands is almost endless, and this is especially true with regard to my favorite genre, Symphonic power Metal. I find European Metal to generally be far richer and more skillful. For example, you'd never find a song like this in American Metal:

Last edited by a moderator:
Too hard to choose. Probably go with Europe due to Sweden being ridiculously good, but lol at the best American bands being Slipknot and SoaD.

While there are the some great metal bands from America such as Killswitch Engage and early Slipknot, S.O.A.D.

wat

Try:

Manowar
Manilla Road
Virgin Steele

Speaking of which, although I'm a Fairyland fan (a Fairyland fan, a Fairyland fan!), I'll counter your post with this epic demonstration of ballsy badassery:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W41NX80WyRQ&feature=PlayList&p=DA83B2801C96C56F&index=0&playnext=1[/ame]

Hard to say, but I went with American Metal. Most bands I started listening to are american - Metallica, Morbid Angel, Manowar, Megadeth, Death, Cannibal Corpse, Exodus, Testament, Forbidden, fucking Slayer...the list goes on. There's no way to deny that european bands are also huge, that's why it's so difficult to choose.

Well I prefer traditional metal so for me it was USPM vs NWOBHM. For me NWOBHM won. Not by a million miles though. I stopped listening to thrash regularly quite a while back. I'm not even going to comment on nu metal and metalcore.

for me it depends wut genre of metal. I think the states have better thrash and europe has better power, folk, and death.

While there are some good American metal bands .... Iced Earth, Kamelot, Symphony X, Nevermore, Theocracy...
I definitely listen to WAY more European metal... so, they win for me!

The US kicks the shit out of Europe in terms of heavy, doom, and power metal

Europe wins with black and death

Are we talking in terms of style or just in terms of the geographic location?
Anyhow, assuming it was the second I went with Europe.

The US kicks the shit out of Europe in terms of heavy, doom, and power metal

Europe wins with black and death

I don't think so as far as doom and heavy go. Considering Europe has the NWOBHM movement, and they also have great doom bands like Candlemass, Sabbath, Pagan Altar, and Witchfinder General.

I think it's better to compare continents per sub genre rather then compare each other and talking about metal as a whole.

I say who gives a shit where there from I listen to a band's music because I like it not because of what fucking country there from