differences between U.S. and European metal

Cythraul

Dec 10, 2003
A little something I've been thinking about for the past 20 minutes or so are the differences between U.S. and European metal. I think the U.S. and Europe probably produce the most quantities of metal out of the rest of the world. What I really find interesting is the question of why such differences exist. It seems to me that European metal derives much of its character from European bands' cognizance of their rich classical and folk music traditions, in addition to their history. I don't live anywhere in Europe so I'm just making some guesses here but it seems to me that Europeans have much closer and more frequent contact with a rich history (musical and non-musical) and I think this influences the work of many European metal bands (just look at how many European bands can be described as having classical or folk influences). By contrast, here in the states if you live in a big city you most likely are not surrounded by any kind of rich history (musical or otherwise) but rather a kind of bleak, depressing urban setting. Since most American metal bands come from our major cities I think this kind of atmosphere has a distinct influence on the music produced here. It's a grittier and "bleaker" sound in general. Case in point: black metal like Krieg, stuff like Suffocation, etc. Even stuff like Incantation and Immolation sounds very non-European as far as metal goes.

So what do you guys think? I'm sure a lot of what I've pointed out is pretty obvious but I'm interested to see if anybody has anything to say about what important features distinguish U.S. from European metal and why such differences exist in the first place.

European metal is awesome America is all about the money and most bands are just overrated fades except I don't know why American Death metal/progressive is so good cause 99% of the rest sucks

Well, they say that history is the life-giving arteries pulsing beneath the concrete skin of cities, so I suppose there can be little doubt that this translates into musical expressions, somehow. Some things defies articulation, though, and I'd sooner manage to catch a flickering flame in my hand before fully crasping the intricacies behind this phenomenon, I think.

oh, and our superior breeding, but that goes without mention.... :p

Um, let's see, perhaps European metal shits on American because the US has no culture whatsoever? And also let's face it, historically speaking, Europe has always been the the mecca of art, and continues to be. Obesity, Coke, Pepsi, saturated fats, these things don't equate to the ingredients of good art.

This post defines ignorance.

Hardly. He may have articulated it somewhat stupidly, but he actually has a point.

Most American Metal is Overrated thrash Metal, Overrated bands like Pantera and AC/DC, Nu metal, and Metalcore. Its a lot of Redneck bull shit and trend following to make as much money, I don't think most bands from Europe are out to make tons of cash but to make good music.

AC/DC is Australian, not American.

Don't get me wrong - the US *has* played some important roles for metal over the decades, but overall, it is Britain and Europe which matter. America has little to offer musically because their influences are limited to a somewhat modern history and generally non-existent culture.

Most American Metal is Overrated thrash Metal, Overrated bands like Pantera and AC/DC, Nu metal, and Metalcore. Its a lot of Redneck bull shit and trend following to make as much money, I don't think most bands from Europe are out to make tons of cash but to make good music.

uhh Angus Malcom and Brian were all born in Scotland and grew up in Australia. Im not sure about the other members, but they are an Australian band and they were big there before they ever went international. And to equate them with rednecks is ridiculous.

edit: ah someone beat me to it

uhh Angus Malcom and Brian were all born in Scotland and grew up in Australia. Im not sure about the other members, but they are an Australian band and they were big there before they ever went international. And to equate them with rednecks is ridiculous.

edit: ah someone beat me to it
Redneck comment was more towards Pantera and Lamb of God those sort of bands not AC/DC

First of all, comparing one country to an entire continent seems a bit unfair.

The mere fact that douches like Lunar Strain exist showcase that America will always have its detractors with the mental equivalent of a dodo.

Both Europe and America have had their successes and failures, undergrounds and fundergrounds. It's just that when this topic comes up, you get the mongoloids that have to mention Pantera and Trivium, instead of Death, Slayer, Kyuss, Morbid Angel when it comes to the US.

But of course when Europe is mentioned, it's all about integrity. Because we all know Children of Bodom, In Flames, Satyricon and Ulver have stuck to their guns and defied the power of money. Hell, look at Lordi.

And face it, their is a certain x-factor that exist in regards to USBM. People shut it out automatically, not because it sucks, but because of the locale. Since we all know black metal can only come from the frost bitten forest of the snow capped mountains of Scandinavia whilst Mighty Ravendark watches on.

I should make it clear that I am not trying to say that European metal shits on U.S. metal. I am just interested in making comparisons. No value judgments.

edit: Some of my favorite shit comes from the U.S. I in no way intend to disparage U.S. metal.

I'm just comparing them because they're both the biggest producers of metal worldwide. It would seem weird to talk about the differences between U.S. and Finnish metal or U.S. and Polish metal. European metal as a phenomenon seems like an entirely legitimate subject of examination as far as I'm concerned.

Don't get me wrong - the US *has* played some important roles for metal over the decades, but overall, it is Britain and Europe which matter. America has little to offer musically because their influences are limited to a somewhat modern history and generally non-existent culture.

Your stupidity at times is palpable.

It seems to me to largely be classifiable due to the Guitar tones. European metal sounds very modern, and super tight and clean.Over saturated at times. Than american metal is very raunchy and in your face.

I'll agree to this and it's not uncommon to talk about American metal bands in regards to their locations and specific genres:
NYDM
Florida Death Metal
Bay Area Thrash
and, we're even witnessing a growth in Northwestern Dark Metal (Agalloch has even been poking fun at this with their latest t shirt designs that they sold while on tour)

on a side note, and I don't want this to be steered horrendously off topic as it sometimes does when these topics get brought up, the idea of America and "culture" is a bit of a tough topic to tackle. There's a couple of different approaches to it. One could argue it's difficult for America to have a defined "culture" because we are seen as the melting pot or tossed salad (insert sex joke) of every culture in the world. On the other side, we do have blatant American cultural landmarks. The country has a rich literature culture stemming from the 1800s, but it's kind of difficult to translate Mark Twain or Sarah Orne Jewett into the realm of metal whereas tales from the Kalevala or Mabinogion are a bit more applicable. Hubster brought up the cynical remark of the obese culture high consumerist whatever culture that America has become that Hubster loves to bring up in these topics. And while it's true and valid, there aren't too many cultures that have remained "true to their roots" on a huge scale. They may be more aware of their culture's history and they may do more than just have an annual parade, but outside of "native" cultures, there aren't too many who have remained the same throughout the ages. Cultures move on and progress or evolve...whether or not they evolve into something of value is a different topic. but I guess the crux of what I'm saying is, America does have a "cultural history", it's just not the same kind of mythical born culture of many European countries, and that this difference is difficult to apply to metal.

...imo *cough*