Culturally influenced Metal

I think he means Peruvian pan flutes.

I AM SO STARTLED RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

Anyway here's a band that mixes Aztec themes with thrash, but I wouldn't call the music culturally influenced:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmsDmX7_XrE&feature=related[/ame]

I know for a fact that F&F listens to at least a handful of bands like this. I'll try to get him to post in this thread.

I was just going to say that Europe and their genuine and heartfelt take on the eradication of the cherokee civilization was the exception. :kickass:

Not to say that it's necessarily bad, but I don't think that the artists are that schooled in the various folk genres they pursue. I use "flat" in the sense of how close the folk elements of such metal are to their real sources.

Fuck, I remember that horrible video. I seriously don't get why so many metalheads stick up for Europe. Their music is simply embarrassing to listen to.

I don't like that song. I posted it because I find 'cultural' / world music to generally be shit and I was mocking the thread.

I like (and own) Europe's first two albums, which are very good melodic metal with some NWOBHM influence. The Final countdown was the third, which I find amusing but of much lesser quality.

Instead of misquoting my post and misunderstanding the point I was making try not to be totally retarded.

Bands influenced by Egyptian or Middle Eastern cultural music:

Arkan
Nile
Melechesh
Orphaned Land

Rudra contains Indian cultural elements. India is not in the Middle East genius.

No shit about Rudra idiot, maybe I should have been clearer and stated "don't list the few bands in existence that are VERY WELL KNOWN BY NEARLY EVERYONE that actually contain ethnic instrumentation along with musical structures pertaining to said culture; i.e. RUDRA and company".

And as previously mentioned, Nile is hardly a legitimate claim to Egyptian thematics; unfortunately out of your list they are the only band that actually focuses on an "ethnic sound" - even if it isn't true to the culture. Arkan uses sparse interludes in their "ethnic instrumentation" other than that they are as Celtic sounding as Suidakra (which is not at all). Melechesh, the only viable option on that list, show influences that could be viewed as legit (Dance of the Black Genii's drum bits at the end with the spatial relations to the guitar off as As Jerusalem, but even then the influences are barely there

Of course there is a huge European Folk influence prevalent in Metal. There is a lot of Middle Eastern and Egyptian influenced Metal and a lot of East Asian sounding Metal. Other than those what are some other interesting cultural styles?

I didn't say Egyptian/Middle Eastern Metal, retard.

The point of my post was admitting to your focus on influenced metal you fucking dolt. I didn't misquote you, I told you to give me better examples which you utterly failed to do.

No shit about Rudra idiot, maybe I should have been clearer and stated "don't list the few bands in existence that are VERY WELL KNOWN BY NEARLY EVERYONE that actually contain ethnic instrumentation along with musical structures pertaining to said culture; i.e. RUDRA and company".

And as previously mentioned, Nile is hardly a legitimate claim to Egyptian thematics; unfortunately out of your list they are the only band that actually focuses on an "ethnic sound" - even if it isn't true to the culture. Arkan uses sparse interludes in their "ethnic instrumentation" other than that they are as Celtic sounding as Suidakra (which is not at all). Melechesh, the only viable option on that list, show influences that could be viewed as legit (Dance of the Black Genii's drum bits at the end with the spatial relations to the guitar off as As Jerusalem, but even then the influences are barely there

The point of my post was admitting to your focus on influenced metal you fucking dolt. I didn't misquote you, I told you to give me better examples which you utterly failed to do.

There clear is a difference Egyptian and Egyptian influenced. You misconstrued my original post.

Also you didn't ask for "better examples" but tried to dismiss my statement and now you're just nitpicking.

Also you didn't ask for "better examples" but tried to dismiss my statement and now you're just nitpicking.

Instead of changing the subject and pointing out that my wording was off, point out my folly and then list these bands that are influenced by middle eastern/egyptian thematics.

Well shit, that sounds like I was asking for an example; not "a better example", but different ones from what I listed (being the bands that are typically held as "legitimately ethnic" in composition besides other Euro-focused bands). The "better example" you are referring to was in response to the list of bands that you listed that honestly have nothing to do with the cultures you associate them with.

There clear is a difference Egyptian and Egyptian influenced. You misconstrued my original post.

I already pointed this out and accepted that you stated a difference between Metal that incorporates said influences versus cultures that influence a band in the form of idea's.

But yes, I am nitpicking; this argument also stems from me having a far stricter definition for what constitutes a band with "ethnic influences". This argument is over due to disagreement of terms, otherwise we will get nowhere.
Ex: Sarpanitum state they are a band that solely sing about Mesopotamian themes. Are they a culturally fused band? Only in the same sense Nile are, but they are still no where near Rudra in the assimilation department. Sarpanitum can sing all they want about Mesopotamia, that doesn't make them musically Mesopotamian. To me, lyrics do not constitute being able to label a band as being influenced by a culture, as it is merely a lyrical topic at that point.

But yes, I am nitpicking; this argument also stems from me having a far stricter definition for what constitutes a band with "ethnic influences". This argument is over due to disagreement of terms, otherwise we will get nowhere.
Ex: Sarpanitum state they are a band that solely sing about Mesopotamian themes. Are they a culturally fused band? Only in the same sense Nile are, but they are still no where near Rudra in the assimilation department. Sarpanitum can sing all they want about Mesopotamia, that doesn't make them musically Mesopotamian. To me, lyrics do not constitute being able to label a band as being influenced by a culture, as it is merely a lyrical topic at that point.

I would include bands which are generally influenced by music that is attributed to a certain region.

Nile not only uses Ancient Egypt themes in their lyrics but their music contains Egyptian scales and other elements.