differences within metal

Cold Gin

Aug 8, 2002
Germany
Visit site
I´m an old man (full stop) ;-) When I was in the age the most of you are now ... hehe ... there was Hard Rock (like Kiss), Heavy Metal (like Iron Maiden) and Thrash (like Destruction). Now there is Gothic, Epic, Death and whatever. I would like to learn where the differences are ? With band examples please !
Thanks and Cheers

It seems like we answer one of these every couple of weeks.

Black Metal - dark atmosphere, ususally has blastbeats, usually has raspy vocals, guitars are rarely downtuned, keyboards are sometimes used to add to the majestic/beautiful sound (bands: Emperor, Mayhem, Burzum, Aborym)

Death Metal - growled vocals, guitars downtuned, sometimes has blastbeats (bands: Death, Morbid Angel, At the Gates, Cryptopsy)
* there are many, many styles of Death Metal

Power Metal - clean vocals, lots of solos (bands: Blind Guardian, Rhapsody)

Heavy Doom - slow, downtuned guitars, lumbering, many styles of vocals (bands: Cathedral, Candlemass, Khanate)

Melodic Doom - depressing, melodic vocals, more acoustic intruments, sometimes beautiful in a sad way (bands: Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Anathema)

Stoner - laid back, more "free" flowing song structures, many types of vocals (bands: Electric Wizard, Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age)

Industrial - lots of electronics (bands: Ministry, Red Harvest)

haha, sorry, I had no idea that this question is asked so often, but looks like it´s a fair call then ...
Anyway, just paste the old stories if it´s easier.
Thanks

Since when does Summoning fall into the "black metal" category?
I think summoning is musically pretty much black metal, not lyrically though.

what the fuck is folk metal and what the hell is Empyrium doing there? Empyrium's first two albums were doom metal with heavy pastoral and folk influences

Also, early Ulver (Bergtatt) was black metal with folk influences. It should be under black metal, rather than folk.
You said it yourself. It clearly states that folk metal is "Any metal bands using folk or folk influences "

I think the point is to use "folk" as a adjective, so that categorizing Ulver to folk metal doesn't mean that it can't be black metal, it just states that Ulver does (did) have strong folk influence. IMO "early Ulver" basically means the first three albums, which all had folk influences in them (yes, even Nattens Madrigal).

I also think viking metal deserves it's own definition because viking themes are used widely in bands that do not have folk influences. Damn, early Manowar can be categorized as viking metal. Besides, vikings weren't grim, they were drunk. :D

Bathory did viking metal pretty goddamn well. No other band has come near Hammerheart or Blood On Ice.

There are mainly just two sub-genres in doom metal

Funeral doom - Very fucking slow and heavy. Bands include Skepticism, Unholy, Thergothon etc.

Classic doom - Black Sabbath influenced stuff yet slower, heavier and doomier. Check out bands like Saint Vitus, Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus.

The others are mainly just combining doom with other genres.