• EUROPEAN BANDS

Votes: 53 80.3%

• Total voters

CONCLAVE OBSCURUM

untruly evil
Dec 19, 2002
Mexico
www.gardenian.8m.com
ok, we all can see the difrence between styles.

Beyond the nu-metal, grunch and a lot of other styles of music that come mostly from the "states", we can hear a lot of difrent influences and... well.. styles.

What i'm triying to say is that i have a feeling that the european bands are more melodic (haggard, in flames, opeth, etc), with a more complex music. In the United States, the music its more raw, no melody at all (some bands).

In my CD collection you will find some american bands, not all of them metal (red hot chillie peppers, system of a down, etc), and you also will see that most of my Cds are from european bands, so i can say that i preffer the "old continent" music.

Another thing that i have notice, is that the most famous american rock music, the nu-metal, is the same as their culture, i mean, "Mc Donalds music". Catchy tunes, that you can "eat" quiete fast and you can change it every time by some other "flavor".

... of course, i don't mean to insult anybody. And if hurt somebody's feelings. I'm sorry.

I'm quite drunk so i will stop now.

Mostly the more complex music comes from USA, the latest trendy metal music has been coming from Europe (euro power, gothenburg, wannabe-thrash, wannabe black metal and norse core). Only death/grind is the one trendy metal style that has come out of USA in the recent years. Of course mallcore (nu-metal) is not counted here because it is not metal. So, yes, Europe will most likely win.

Still, I have a hard time deciding since the good metal bands tend to even out between the two continents with some stray bands from Asia or Australia.

usa has the best bands in all gengres except black metal:
death metal : morbid angel, cannibal corpse, Death, Obituary etc
thrash metal: old metallica , slayer, overkill, exodus, death angel, megadeth and lots of others
power metal: helstar, liege lord, early queensryche , early fates warning, metal church, destiny's end, lethal.
progressive metal:Queensryche, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Psychotic Waltz, Watchtower.
Doom Metal: Solitude Aeturnus, Trouble, Saint Vitus.
so as u can see the best bands in every gengre that influenced all others, come from the usa.
so Usa wins, and a european (me) says that.
only black metal is better in europe.
and nwobhm of course.

I think overall Europe has the better bands right now. But the American scene is getting where it needs to be. I would prefer that American Metal not sound like European Metal or else it would all get boring. For the most part American Metal is definately more about aggresion and European Metal is about melody. I really love the Hardcore scene in America and if that scene can build I think America will be up there. But like I said before it would be boring if American Metal sounded like European Metal.

Oh yeah and American does have NILE!!!!

Originally posted by Southern Man I Am
I think overall Europe has the better bands right now. But the American scene is getting where it needs to be. I would prefer that American Metal not sound like European Metal or else it would all get boring. For the most part American Metal is definately more about aggresion and European Metal is about melody. I really love the Hardcore scene in America and if that scene can build I think America will be up there. But like I said before it would be boring if American Metal sounded like European Metal.

Oh yeah and American does have NILE!!!!

Agreed....

Europe by miles.

Really brutal music with no melody doesn't really do anything for me at all. The USA is better when it comes to those sort of bands, but they don't interest me.

Agalloch is the exception though, and is by far the best US band I've heard, and one of my favourites.

I'm afraid I have to jump on the Euro bandwagon. :D And it's not to say that American bands suck but it seems that the ratio of good to bad are better in the ol' country. And that's NOT just "extreme metal" but all sorts of metal, i.e.: Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Deep Purple, The Gathering, Lacuna Coil, Celtic Frost, Mercyful Fate Plus of coarse the really heavy shit, Emperor, Opeth, Entombed, Cradle Of Filth, Bathory, Venom, Sinister, Hypocrisy, ect....
Like I said there are kick ass US bands such as Nile, Slayer, Possessed, Daylightdies, Agalloch, Immolation, Morbid Angel, Deicide, ect..
I just feel that Europe has more of a variety most of which are good, plus a better and more receptive scene over all versus the trendy climate here in the states.

Most of my favorite bands are from Scandinavia or mainland Europe (primarily because I love Viking metal above all else and that would be silly here in the USA), but a great many superb bands have come from or do come from the US. In particular I believe the brutal and technical death metal scenes are far superior in the USA. The power/speed scene from Europe is certainly awesome, but the USA still has produced bands like Queensryche, Iced Earth, Nevermore, etc. Bottom line is that a great many fantastic bands have come from all over, though I do give the edge to Europe.

Why would viking metal be "silly" in the USA? Is there some sort of unwritten rule that you must actually live in Scandinavia for it to not be silly? I don't understand why it would be so different if I lived in America and made music supporting my contempt for Christianity and love for my ancestry.

Anyway, I voted for America. Most of my favorite bands are American.. like November's Doom, Iced Earth, Testament, Death, Type O Negative, Darkmoon, Demonic Christ, Agalloch, and Acid Bath. Europe has a good music scene as well, but I do prefer the US bands I have heard.

For real! Do you have to be from Egypt to be Nile? Nope.:p Well...on topic, Though Nile is one of my favorite, more of my favorites come from Europe so......:)

Originally posted by Sonnenritter
Why would viking metal be "silly" in the USA? Is there some sort of unwritten rule that you must actually live in Scandinavia for it to not be silly? I don't understand why it would be so different if I lived in America and made music supporting my contempt for Christianity and love for my ancestry.

You make a good point; I wasn't even thinking about American musicians of Scandinavian descent who might be in such a band. Irregardless, the vast majority of Viking-themed bands are from Scandinavia or the [once] Germanic lands.