''THE'' poll - Best metal album EVER.

Best metal album EVER!

• Total voters
Lite-ANUSites are the best type of metal fans imo. Discerning but not to the point where it's pretty clear there's some sort of silly hive mind agenda embedded in their minds that inhibits them from publicly acknowledging the quality of a band that formed within the past 10 years.

Yeah, I post at the forum from time to time, but I try to keep my distance from those people. I don't have a problem with their standards per se, but I think their presumptions color their judgments sometimes. Some of those guys seem like they would be awful people to hang around with in real life. At least they're less racist these days.

With that being said, I wasn't aware that giving this title to HLTO was controversial, because it's pretty much far and away the most perfect metal album through and through, musically, thematically, etc.

I don't know. I have this suspicion that if you list HLTO as your favorite album, or maybe something like Nespithe, people will suspect that it's not an opinion you formed on your own and that you're just toeing the ANUS line or whatever. There are quite a few people that don't like HLTO, but it's usually noobs that listen to really bad "mainstream" metal. Most non-stupid people at least acknowledge that it's a classic.

Who the heck refuses to acknowledge its classic status?

Maybe not quite that, but they may still think it's crap. I guess a distinction can be made here. But I assume that if you acknowledge something as a classic you at least appreciate it. There are faggots that post here such as ArneZ who don't think Burzum is good (although I think that guy may have changed his tune recently). I have friends that are heavily into underground metal that hated Burzum (and most black metal, for that matter) for a long time.

Edit: What do Lite-ANUSites make of light cheerful mindless happy music?

I'm actually able to listen to music that's not utterly transcendent. Some of the hardcore ANUS guys act like you're disrespecting yourself and wasting your time by listening to music that's not totally profound art. I think that's a fucking annoying attitude.

Appreciation doesn't mean it's your favorite.

I don't know if Burzum is as great as everyones eeems to think it is, but the fact of the matter is that Varg-kun is one of the top 5 most influential/well known/significant metal musicians in history and it is silly to deny that.

Edit: You answered my question. What do you think of Yellow Magic Orchestra? I'd argue that "Solid State Survior" and the self-titled are two of the best albums ever made, but there is nothing remotely close to suffering, human despair, emotion, or anything else in there.

What do you think of Yellow Magic Orchestra?

I had to look that up on youtube because I had no idea what it was. Sounds weird. Probably a bit too upbeat for me.

Hey, I used to listen to jpop, and anime soundtracks, and happy hardcore. :erk:

:erk:

bands like opeth, nevermore, dimmu borgir and others don't have space among the 10 best metal bands ever. even a cripple monkey knows that.

False. The Politics of Ecstasy by Nevermore is one of the greatest albums ever. Still Life by Opeth is also to be mentioned.

And just because an album doesn't 'contribute something to its genre' doesn't mean it can't be one of the best. Many bands are unique and blur distinctions between genres or add something completely new because of a peculiar sound, but it doesn't follow that that makes the music any good. Morons.

Symbolic and The Sounds of... whatever are the weakest Death albums. Human is clearly ten times better.

I went with Metallica "Master Of Puppets" much more of a classic then the others, not to mention very easy to get into metal by listening to that album, but Megadeth "Rust In Piece" & Iron Maiden "Powerslave" are really close seconds.

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Slayer - Hell Awaits
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Judas Priest - Stained Class (or) Sad Wings of Destiny

should be on there without question, and Venom, Dio, and Death hardly deserve the consideration imo.

I had to look that up on youtube because I had no idea what it was. Sounds weird. Probably a bit too upbeat for me.

Hey, I used to listen to jpop, and anime soundtracks, and happy hardcore. :erk:

Happy hardcore? Go the fuck home.

YMO were my Tokyo fantasy before I actually came here and realized there is hardly a difference between my cow town and Tokyo. It's fucking brilliant music.

False. The Politics of Ecstasy by Nevermore is one of the greatest albums ever. Still Life by Opeth is also to be mentioned.

And just because an album doesn't 'contribute something to its genre' doesn't mean it can't be one of the best. Many bands are unique and blur distinctions between genres or add something completely new because of a peculiar sound, but it doesn't follow that that makes the music any good. Morons.

just a second, Still Life isn't the best Opeth's album. MAYH is miles better.

Morningrise is Opeth's best everyone knows that. Followed by MAYH.

If i had to pick from a list of victor's i would say dream theater - images and words

Yeah, nothing says 'metal' quite like this asskicker:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's so funny how everyone has such different opinions on Opeth's best album(s). Says a lot about how the band's style has changed from album to album

Since i don't feel like arguing for the next 10 pages im going to pick Symbolic. It's one of the first extreme Metal albums i've heard back in the day and it still holds strong on my list.