Metal genres... does anybody actually care?

Demiurge said:
Atheist- Unquestionable Presence
Atheist- Piece of Time
Disincarnate- Dreams of the Carrion Kind
Cynic- all demo material
Brutality- Screams of Anguish
Atrocity- Longing For Death
What he said. I would also add:

Cynic - Focus
Pestilence - Testimony Of The Ancients
Atheist - Elements

Genres are only a necessity for conversation. When you are explaining a new band to a friend, the first thing they're going to ask you is, "What kind of metal is it?". This is so they can get a rough estimate of whether they will like it or not. If I told a friend about Zyklon and how they are death/black/thrash, and he is a huge power metal fan, chances are he's not gonna like it. If I simply said, "Zyklon kick ass!!!", he might have a totally different expectation than what it actually is. That's why we have genres and sub-genres. IMO, to say "They aren't black metal anymore", i.e., Emperor, that doesn't automatically mean it's utter shite. Who cares what genre it's in; if you like it, listen to it. If you don't, don't.

Ultimate_Symphony said:
I use genres as a guideline in order to search for certain types of bands that I usually enjoy.

So do I, but I don't like when they get so specific and full shit that it turns out to be a genre that has only one band or stuff like that. "Genres are too heavily stressed", I like that phrase, exactly my point.