Why do metalheads care about genres so much?

AlphaTemplar

Morgan Freeman
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
I'm really tired of all the 'Iced Earth is power, not thrash'/'In Flames isn't melodic death metal'/'Does Opeth count as progressive?' bickering. Fuck genres; One of the marks of a great band is that they're original and step outside of genre cliches. People probably debated whether Black Sabbath was psychdelia or hard rock.

AlphaTemplar said:
I'm really tired of all the 'Iced Earth is power, not thrash'/'In Flames isn't melodic death metal'/'Does Opeth count as progressive?' bickering. Fuck genres; One of the marks of a great band is that they're original and step outside of genre cliches. People probably debated whether Black Sabbath was psychdelia or hard rock.

It's borne out of a need for quick generalisations; rather than say to you "I like bands like diamond head, Iron Maiden, Saxon and Raven", I could say, "I like NOWBHM stuff - what do you think?". It makes things quicker.

Yes, some of the genre pigeonholing is a trifle tiresome, but without it, things would get very irritating, very fast.

But there are really many of bands that dont have some certain genre, - there are a few mixed.

I hate it how people who listen to power metal are "pussies" or whatever, dude, tehre is good and bad metal from every genre and when you get down to it, if it's metal, it's metal, right?! A true metalhead wouldn't classify things, they'd be too busy rockin' out to notice. At least that's how I feel.

I practically categorize bands based on the 7 sub-genres.

Good ones:
Thrash
Power
Death
Black

Bad ones:
Metalcore
Industrial
Nu-Metal

I'm pretty sure there's a couple others, but I only listed the ones that I care about. There's a couple other SGs that I think have ridiculous names such as Viking Metal, Math Metal, ect.

What the hell is Math Metal anyway? :confused: